• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
This topic contains spoilers - you can click, tap, or highlight to reveal them
  1. Boards
  2. God of War III
  3. Dat Ending, Though (spoilers)

User Info: eighthdayregret

eighthdayregret
3 years ago#1
I'm waaaay late to the game, but I finally just got a PS3, so sorry in advance.
I've seen a lot of negative comments about the ending to GoWIII, but I honestly loved it. Definitely a fitting, though sad, end to the saga.
To find out that, in death, Athena had become just as corrupt and ego-driven as the rest of the gods, there was really no other way they could have ended the series but to have Kratos kill himself to release the power of hope to the entire world. To have yet another deity dole out hope and happiness as they see fit would have made Kratos' victory over Olympus a hollow one.
I may be alone in this, but I enjoyed it. I felt it made Kratos more of a human character than he's been portrayed throughout the series, rather than just a revenge-driven machine.
It's a far more positive ending than I thought it would be, and far more positive than it gets credit for.
I'm impressed.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
3 years ago#2
I've seen a lot of negative comments about the ending to GoWIII, but I honestly loved it.

The whole arc where he has this weird "reconciliation" with his family was a bit silly and not really needed. I also didn't like them trying to retcon Zeus' actions in the previous games to make it look like he was possessed and to make him a cheesy villain "who must be stopped." It's cheapening the overall narrative, especially since Zeus' actions in previous games were quite justified. Heck, even his actions in GoW3 are pretty understandable.

To find out that, in death, Athena had become just as corrupt and ego-driven as the rest of the gods,

Who says this? Athena knew that humans wouldn't know what to do with the power of Hope and that she needed to care for them with it. She's not "ego-driven"...she just doesn't think that humans can handle themselves and she may be right, especially given how much they depend on the gods.

there was really no other way they could have ended the series but to have Kratos kill himself to release the power of hope to the entire world.

Personally, I felt it was Kratos just being a jerk to her. Plus his revenge was fulfilled and he had nothing else to live for.

To have yet another deity dole out hope and happiness as they see fit would have made Kratos' victory over Olympus a hollow one.

Kratos never cared about the fate of mankind and that's shown throughout the games when his actions in killing gods cause countless deaths amongst the people. His struggle was about blind, mindless revenge and nothing else and he didn't care if he ruined the whole world in the process.

I felt it made Kratos more of a human character than he's been portrayed throughout the series, rather than just a revenge-driven machine.

Which is dumb because it completely goes against his character...which is why I think he just did it to be a jerk rather than to be nice to men. W

hy would we want Kratos to be this sympathetic hero?...Kratos was unique in that he's NOT like other heroes in other games. With this sympathetic crap, he becomes just like every other anti-hero out there. The unique part of GoW is that Kratos is a really bad dude who you happen to be in control of. He brings upon all his hardships upon himself and refuses to blame himself and focuses his rage on others. That's the character.

User Info: prostatic

prostatic
3 years ago#3
And yet, if given a choice not to play as Kratos, I would seize it with zero hesitation. The 'novelty' of playing as someone wholly undeserving and abusive of his demigod-ish powers has been given a superficial treatment and has long worn off by now.

User Info: lawl3ss

lawl3ss
3 years ago#4
I agree with the topic creator, Athena says she did what she did to attain a higher being and ultimately use the power of hope to reign supreme. Kratos feels in his quest for vengence he basically ruined the earth by destroying the gods, so give the power of hope to mankind in an attempt for them to survive the chaos he created. Kratos' whole reason for existing at interval of the Gow series was for revenge, he attained that with smiting Aries, but in doing so he unknowingly released the power of fear to corrupt the gods, a power so great it was locked away in Pandoras Box as revealed in the game...a power so strong it could even faulter the mighty zeus. So I was pleased with the ending and the fact that kratos might still be alive is also good for another installment tsince when he plunged the blade into himself he did so on what looks like a carving of the Phoenix that was beneath his body as he laid there bleeding out.

User Info: Hotel_Security

Hotel_Security
3 years ago#5
And yet, if given a choice not to play as Kratos, I would seize it with zero hesitation. The 'novelty' of playing as someone wholly undeserving and abusive of his demigod-ish powers has been given a superficial treatment and has long worn off by now.

To each their own. I find I like the freedom of Kratos slaughtering everyone who hinders AND helps him.

Athena says she did what she did to attain a higher being and ultimately use the power of hope to reign supreme.

She doesn't say anything about "reigning supreme." She means that humans don't know what to do with Hope...and given their dependence on the gods on so many things, this isn't an incorrect statement.

Kratos' whole reason for existing at interval of the Gow series was for revenge, he attained that with smiting Aries, but in doing so he unknowingly released the power of fear to corrupt the gods

Except he didn't "corrupt the gods"...he apparently just "corrupted Zeus."

And, outside of Zeus beating up Hephaestus, nothing he did as a "corrupted" god was outlandish or wrong at all, especially with what he did to Kratos. So they try to sell this cheap narrative that the gods were so horrible yet there's no evidence of it. It's still a case of Kratos just slaughtering them because he blames them for all of his own problems.

User Info: Shazif

Shazif
3 years ago#6
EIGHT DAY REGRET: I'm waaaay late to the game, but I finally just got a PS3, so sorry in advance.
Hi! What an interesting nickname. Is it a Biblical reference? Nice to see someone posting here. This board is a bit dead, but there are some users posting on God of War III Remastered, God of War: Ascension and God of War boards. I also got my PS3 late and mainly for GoW III and Heavenly Sword. So don't be concerned.

EIGHT DAY REGRET: I've seen a lot of negative comments about the ending to GoWIII, but I honestly loved it.
Even the kitch, oversized Barbie sword? I've been hating it since GoW II. And IMO the story writers could have come up with something far more interesting.

EIGHT DAY REGRET: Definitely a fitting, though sad, end to the saga.
Sort of. I mean I agree with sad.

EIGHT DAY REGRET: To find out that, in death, Athena had become just as corrupt and ego-driven as the rest of the gods, there was really no other way they could have ended the series but to have Kratos kill himself to release the power of hope to the entire world.
Why, they could begin a new series there. Kratos starts to fight Athena. Couldn't they. And Athena was corrupt and ego-driven already in GoW I. At least that's how many people see her.

EIGHT DAY REGRET: I may be alone in this, but I enjoyed it.
I haven't.

EIGHT DAY REGRET: I felt it made Kratos more of a human character than he's been portrayed throughout the series, rather than just a revenge-driven machine.
But he is supposed to be a revenge driven machine. I don't know what's with "adding dimension" to the violent characters like Kratos. He was fine as he was in GoW I. Depicted as a carring husband and gentle father he becomec inconvincing and loses his psychopathic credibility.

EIGHT DAY REGRET: It's a far more positive ending than I thought it would be, and far more positive than it gets credit for. I'm impressed.
I'm not. In GoW III the developers f**** up what the orginal team of artists achieved in GoW I. It was enough to use the combat system and animations designed for part one. But no, they just HAD to improve the old projects. BTW. How do you find the fights in GoW III? Don't you have a feeling that it's a bit like waving a hand in the air instead of wielding cursed blades with chains attached to them?
  1. Boards
  2. God of War III
  3. Dat Ending, Though (spoilers)
  • Topic Archived