• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter IV
  3. A How to Guide to Legitimate Cheating: Trial Mode

User Info: Manoftark

Manoftark
12 years ago#1
The game, as many of you know, moves frame by frame. When you pause, you take advantage of this: The game does not pause instantly when you press pause, it pauses at the nearest frame, which is so fast, it looks instant. By learning to time pauses and unpauses perfectly, you can literally stop at every frame, which is the basis for figuring out how to time those frame-specific attack cancels, like the ones in everyone's normal trial 5. (In case you were wondering why those were so hard, it's because those are the combos that literally will only accept "SUCCESS" input from one specific frame after your attack)

The first step is practicing the unpause/pause timing. Get this down to as few frames as possible, where you can consistently do it. Practicing this timing is much easier than practicing every single cancel in the game.

For example, a difficult cancel with non-strict timing: Ken's cHP to Heavy Shoryuken. Pay close attention. It's hard because people end up cancelling into a Hadoken more often that not, but there's an easier way to do it.

Start by crouching, and use HP. IMMEDIATELY after your attack, pause.

Hold right while paused, then unpause/pause again. The game will have registered a right directional input.

Hold down while paused (yes, you'll scroll, but it doesn't matter), then unpause/pause again. The game will register a down input, and only a frame or two will have passed.

Finally, hold down/right AND HP, then unpause. Heavy Shoryuken will have come out. YAY! (Sometimes his super will come out instead if you hold too far to the right, say, any further than 45 degrees past down: be safe and stay around 40. Another way to avoid his super coming out is by adding an extra unpause/pause just after the cHP with no directional input, so the game won't read down-right-down/right.

This is especially useful in C. Viper's hard trials, when you have to cancel into a High Jump, and then cancel into a low Burning Kick or her ultra. It's actually useful in everyone's trials, but if you can do them without being a huge cheater like me, more power to you. Some people took 3 or more hours to do C.Vipers hard trial 5 and are AMAZING players. It took me 10 minutes once I figured out the timing. I had MUCH more trouble with Gen's heavy trial 5, where you have to do the Heavy Gekiro (completed). There's no way to cheat that timing.

Something that will be a relief to those of you suffering through Guile's hard trials is that this trick works on those, as well. Making his ultra and super happen requires a charge, but that's not difficult at all.

Charge to satisfaction down/back, pause.

No directional input, then unpause/pause. (Back to the center)

Down/forward input (it will scroll, just ignore that) and unpause/pause.

Down/back directional input again, then unpause/pause.

Up/forward directional input PLUS K or KKK, then unpause. If done correctly, his super/ultra will come out instantly as you unpause. (TIP: If your button inputs are either A or B, which will either select a menu option or completely unpause anyway, prepare for it or change your commands around so you can't screw it up.)

I hope this helps some of you as much as it helped me.
After 18 years and countless games, it's time to go home and be a family man.

User Info: Dazz252

Dazz252
12 years ago#2
Thanks for explaining. I'm only bothered in completing Cammy's hard trails though. I understand completely what you mean but if you could now give me a good example for her first hard trail, just for guide lines, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.
It's just the usual dilemma, shall i get drunk now? or shall i get very drunk now? or am I drunk already?

User Info: ResidentGear31

ResidentGear31
12 years ago#3
The hard trials are a brick wall to me. I can realistically say i would never be able to do them all without risking my sanity.

If this works i will bear your children.

User Info: SubTonic14

SubTonic14
12 years ago#4
I've actually been applying this technique for a long time in fighters to breeze through the Arcade/SP modes. It's useful even for avoiding the opponent's attacks. Simply pause the moment they move for an attack (in games like SF, this only works if the attack is telegraphed. It won't work for a Light Punch), prepare yourself, unpause and avoid/block.

I never knew this could be applied to the Trials, however. I wasn't sure it would be fast enough, considering how strict the timing is in this game for cancels and whatnot. Thanks for the info.
PSN: SubTonic20

User Info: flipgamer7

flipgamer7
12 years ago#5
I finally did Vipers hard trial 3 with this method ;_;..
"New Mission! Defeat the pissed off Reaper!"

Dazz252
12 years ago#6
^ really? it worked that well? ill definitely try this later.
It's just the usual dilemma, shall i get drunk now? or shall i get very drunk now? or am I drunk already?

User Info: Manoftark

Manoftark
12 years ago#7
Cammy Hard Trial 1:

Jump HK. Pause.

Unpause and pause until you see her feet hit the ground. (That's the moment she can use her next attack.) Stop.

Hold LK, unpause/pause.

Continue unpause/pause until her kicking foot touches the ground again. (The first new attack frame is actually slightly earlier than this, but this isn't 1 frame strict and it'll work)

Hold LP, unpause/pause.

This one's tricky: You must unpause/pause until her fist comes back in close, it's difficult to judge at first but you can figure it out easy. REMEMBER: Fist must be back in close.

Hold down (it'll scroll) and LK, unpause/pause. (Not finished)

It's important to recognize that the attack command as been issued, even you can't see movement because you've only advanced one frame from unpausing/pausing.

(Continued)

Let go of down (input neutral), unpause/pause. (This is because the game sometimes has a hard time activating the special move if another attack has used a directional input involved in the special move. [Down for cLK AND Spiral Arrow] Resetting it to center eliminates this problem.)

Hold down, unpause/pause. (She may have struck the opponent by now, which sets you up perfectly. You CANNOT CANCEL into her Spiral Arrow UNTIL the LK connects, it just won't work.)

Hold down/forward, unpause/pause. (She should definitely have struck Dan with the cLK by now, if not, continue holding down/forward and unpause/pause until it does)

Hold forward and HK, unpause/pause. Voila! The input should register. You will now begin the motion for her super, which oddly and conveniently enough, only requires ONE MORE QCF since you just did one for the Heavy Spiral Arrow.

Hold down, unpause/pause. (Her SA should connect now or next few frames, remember you can only cancel into her super once her SA connects)

Hold down/forward, unpause/pause.

Hold forward and HK, unpause and Voila! Cammy Hard Trial #1 complete. It's a lot more to read than it is to do, just practice and you'll be figuring the other trials out for yourself.

Remember: Cancelling a normal attack into a special is RARELY stricter than 5 frames. Most regular attack to other regular attack sequences ARE 1 frame strict. There are even some 1 frame strict special attack EX Focus Cancels that must be charged EXACTLY to level 2 and not a frame later (he'll block), in order to crush the opponent in time to do other combo maneuvers. Look on youtube for videos, I had to as well.

Good luck!
After 18 years and countless games, it's time to go home and be a family man.

Dazz252
12 years ago#8
Thanks for the info and your time. :-)

Dazz252
12 years ago#9
Haha, it worked. Cheers.

User Info: flipgamer7

flipgamer7
12 years ago#10
My wrist hurt so bad from mistakes and pauses lol.
"New Mission! Defeat the pissed off Reaper!"
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter IV
  3. A How to Guide to Legitimate Cheating: Trial Mode
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A