• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter IV
  3. Seth really is horrendously cheap...

User Info: LostProphetFLCL

LostProphetFLCL
12 years ago#1

Seriously, this is ******* ridiculous.

I hadn't thought too much of the complaining about him because people tend to overreact about new bosses in fighting games (I remember the talk of how cheap DOA4's boss is and yet after just a little practice she became easy to deal with). After spending an hour just to beat him ONE ROUND I can safely say he is easily the cheapest boss I have gone against besides the witch chick in Guilty Gear X 2 who had that move that basically insta-killed you...

Seths character isn't overpowered per-say but his AI even in easiest is just beyond ridiculous. You can actually learn the programming of the AI just by watching how he reacts to you. You see, Seths AI is actually programmed to react based on your input. At one point I watched him attack every single time I stopped moving backwards.

I originally thought focus attacks would be really useful but they aren't. Try charging one up and he immediately grabs you. The only things I found effective against him are grabs of your own (which mind you is a dangerous tactic seeing as anything he does seems to trump you) and landing dash attacks on him.

I thought T-Hawks priority was ridiculous in HDRemix but Seth takes it to a WHOLE new level.

Quite honestly anything Seth does beats anything you do. Go for an ultra move and he will actually attack you while you're in the middle of your ultra. he will grab you while your fist/foot is in his face, and alot of times he will grab you a fraction of a second after you go to grab.

On top of all this, I actually watched him spam sonic booms at me to the point where I watched half my health go just blocking (I was trying a completely defensive strategy at that point).

I have no clue how you are suppossed to avoid his ultra. I think there might be a way but I haven't found it yet.

Probably his worst cheese is his teleport. This mother ****** will actually telport behind you and imediately grab you. Not only does his teleporting give him cheap hits, but it is made harder to counter by the fact that he randomly teleports in front of AND behind you and anytime he goes behind you it completely ruins any drectional input you had in for a counter-attack.

But yeah, I just figured I should warn/advise people here on the BS to expect with Seth. Prepare to basically depend on luck because I could consitently kick his ass yet he always pulled miracle comebacks...

User Info: JRD1912

JRD1912
12 years ago#2
Wonderful, cant wait to unlock all the chars >.>
XBL GT: LeftHandofGawd

User Info: KaminariGoro

KaminariGoro
12 years ago#3
See also: Magaki of KOF XI, Rugal Bernstein and his heinous Genocide Cutter, either of the final bosses of the Arcana Heart games.

You have to remember with these games that are being released in arcades and home consoles that they're probably going to use the same AI coding for both of them. That being said, the point of any arcade game's final boss/final level is to take your quarters away from you.

I'd be horrified if Seth DIDN'T totally annihilate you. He's the last boss, he's SUPPOSED to be better than you in every way imaginable. That way you feel some accomplishment when you win, even though Capcom is giggling and rubbing their sweaty palms together because they just relieved you of a paycheck and a half worth of quarters.
"F**KIN' REKKI! What made you think reading player input and auto-countering it was a good idea!?" --Harley Duke

User Info: cfia

cfia
12 years ago#4
Yeah, I agree. And good to see you realize its CPU/BOSS Seth that's cheese, his AI is just insane, even on easiest he just reads you like a book sometimes, although wakeup grabs are strangly effective.

But player Seth isnt that strong really, his Stamina blows, does meh damage nad has a very low stun/dizzy meter.

Honestly, any character with BOSS Seth AI would be this irritating, imagine Akuma with that AI...*shudder*

KaminariGoro
12 years ago#5
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
"F**KIN' REKKI! What made you think reading player input and auto-countering it was a good idea!?" --Harley Duke

User Info: LostProphetFLCL

LostProphetFLCL
12 years ago#6

Well it's one thing to add difficulty to a final boss by giving them really powerful moves and some better priority, but to sit the and the difficulty simply through the AI reading your controller inputs and also having prioirty on EVERYTHING then it just becomes more irritating and I didn't feel any real sense of accomplishment because it felt more like luck than anything.

I hate to go around prasing DOA on these boards, but I liked the way the final boss was done in DOA4. It was very powerful, could do a couple things you couldn't, and punished you dearly for you mistakes yet it didn't feel cheap and you could learn to deal with her through practice. Like I keep saying, it feels like victory over Seth is based on luck more than anything else....

User Info: HigherForce

HigherForce
12 years ago#7
one thing i don't get why they didn't bother doing with boss seth is to make his spinning pile driver more powerful. i mean, might as well since all his moves other than that one are better versions from their original character

HigherForce
12 years ago#8
oh, and kintaro and shao kahn from mk2 would like a word with you

KaminariGoro
12 years ago#9
Capcom's got like the worst difficulty curve in its fighting games I've ever seen. I mean, if you want to increase the difficulty, you can do it by either making the player do less damage, or make the computer take more damage, or maybe even tune the AI up a bit so it stops playing like someone's slapping their face against the controller and starts playing like a thinking (or at least rational) being. You really only need one of these things, but Capcom has decided with a good deal of their games to just go ahead and use all of them at the same time.

Many a time have I thrown my controller to the floor with an anguished cry of, "WHY, CRAPCOM!? WHY YOU BE HATIN'!?"

I haven't actually had a chance to play against Seth, though. Has he contracted SNK Boss Syndrome, or is he just a horrible irritating pest to play against? Either one would be pretty unfortunate.

HigherForce
12 years ago#10
havn't played sf3 series, but 2 and alpha wasn't too bad. neither is this game really, except for seth. he has caught on some snk boss syndrome with less of the repetitiveness and more cheese
  1. Boards
  2. Street Fighter IV
  3. Seth really is horrendously cheap...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A