• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bionic Commando
  3. Gamespot Review

User Info: meshuggah12345

meshuggah12345
10 years ago#21

I don't care what anyone says. I love the Bionic Commando series and this installment is just as great as the rest of them!

User Info: NightSage

NightSage
10 years ago#22
LOL 5.5? what game did he play?
New unfunny signature pending.....

User Info: Col_Kilgore

Col_Kilgore
10 years ago#23

I would say a 6.5 or 7 would be closer. The game is a bunch of missed opportunities.

Yes, the lack of sandbox IS a hinderance since the game makes it look like it's a sandbox environment. But when you try to explore you die from lame radiation in like 5 seconds. The story is lame and predictable, and it seems they're trying to make another MGS franchise with this game, but the overly ambitious storyline falls on it's butt from poor characterizations and generic plot points. Also, what happens to the sniper? He just disappears! There is also a real lack of enemy variety and the main weapon is one of the worst in any game. I mean who goes on a very dangerous solo mission with a lame pistol?

User Info: ensomneac

ensomneac
10 years ago#24

I think 6.5 is a fair score.

Although I don't agree with some of the Gamespot review, a lot of it is justified.

There is NO excuse for not having any graphic or audio options.

There is NO excuse for having checkpoints which make you play the same section over and over.

There is NO excuse for XBox 360 controller prompts when using a keyboard.

They've basically done the least possible to port it to PC.

And the radiation areas don't allow you to explore, and most times it's hard to tell which area is safe or not.

By the time you find out, it's almost always too late.

I'm glad Gamespot gave it a low score.

Developers don't take notice of gamers, but they take notice of reviewers and bloggers.

Hopefully, this will make them lift their act.

User Info: gamerfps

gamerfps
10 years ago#25
I really don't get the people *****ing about the game not being a "sandbox." The game was never meant to be like that at all. To me that's like whining about how you can't completely explore City 17 in Half-Life 2 simply because you can see out across it while your running on the rooftops in the first level.

Lack of proper keyboard button prompts? Eh, it's an issue, but one that's overcome quickly if you don't have the memory of a goldfish. Lack of video options? I can see how this annoys some people, but in all honesty the game runs really well on even the lowest-end gaming rigs, so if you've got to adjust something to make this game run decently, then you need an upgrade ... fast.
"On Mars, they have such strict laws about sucking **** through holes in fences." -Seanbaby as Arnold Schwarzenegger from the Total Recall NES game.

ensomneac
10 years ago#26

gamerfps posted...
I really don't get the people *****ing about the game not being a "sandbox."

For me,it's not so much wanting a sandbox. It's having the raditation areas more visible, and a bit more forgiving.

gamerfps posted...
Lack of proper keyboard button prompts? Eh, it's an issue, but one that's overcome quickly if you don't have the memory of a goldfish.

That's not the issue. The point is, it shouldn't be that way.

Save your ire for the lazy developers, not the users who have to workaround their incompetence.

gamerfps posted...
Lack of video options? I can see how this annoys some people, but in all honesty the game runs really well on even the lowest-end gaming rigs

Again, that's not the poiint.

It's not so much how the game runs, it's having to put up with screen tearing, jaggies and poor surround sound.

Sometimes,using your graphics or sound drivers to workaround these issues doesn't work, nor should you have to.

EG Enabling VSync in my ATI driver doesn't stop screen tearing, and as soon as I ran the game, it disabled it anyway.

Regardless, why should the user have to workaround the developers laziness and incompetenece? That's the issue.

I did not spend money on quality hardware and a 24" screen to put up with crap.

If the game itself was crap, it wouldn't bother me as much.

I enjoyed the game, but I feel if they addressed these and other issues, the game would live up to it's potential.

gamerfps
10 years ago#27

For me,it's not so much wanting a sandbox. It's having the raditation areas more visible, and a bit more forgiving.

The radiation is BLUE FOG, I don't get how the developers could have made it any more visible than that.

And even though I agree with you that none of the issues should exist, this port is still better than 75% of the other ones on the market merely due to the fact that it runs well. It's a sad thing to say I know but any sign of progress, no matter how small, away from garbage like the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Prototype ports are a step in the right direction.
"On Mars, they have such strict laws about sucking **** through holes in fences." -Seanbaby as Arnold Schwarzenegger from the Total Recall NES game.

ensomneac
10 years ago#28

gamerfps posted...
The radiation is BLUE FOG, I don't get how the developers could have made it any more visible than that.

Yes, I know it's blue. The problem is in some areas, it's not that visible.

And in some spots, you can enter even when there is a bit of blue, yet do the same in other areas, and you die.

That wouldn't be so bad if you had enough time to leave the area.

But on most occassions, it's not possible to quickly exit, as you're down a pit or hanging off something.

gamerfps posted...
And even though I agree with you that none of the issues should exist, this port is still better than 75% of the other ones on the market merely due to the fact that it runs well.

Comparing it to rubbish that's been released in the last few years, doesn't make it a good port, just because it's better.

And "runs well" doesn't make it a good port either. There is more to a good port than quick loading and stability.

That's only part of it. A good port, ie a well-optimised game, is one that makes the best use of the platform.

This game clearly doesn't do that, in fact, they've done the minimum to port it to PC.

User Info: Adair

Adair
10 years ago#29
@ensomneac

are you familiar with the phrase "you're preaching to the choir"?

gamerfps
10 years ago#30

Yes, I know it's blue. The problem is in some areas, it's not that visible.

You must be blind, then.

And in some spots, you can enter even when there is a bit of blue, yet do the same in other areas, and you die.

No, you don't, the behavior of the radiation is damn consistent.

That wouldn't be so bad if you had enough time to leave the area.

The game gives you ample time to escape from drowning and radiation. Matter of fact, this game is one of the first in a while to feel like it's a true challenge, and when you **** up, you've got nobody else to blame but yourself.

Comparing it to rubbish that's been released in the last few years, doesn't make it a good port, just because it's better.

And "runs well" doesn't make it a good port either. There is more to a good port than quick loading and stability.

That's only part of it. A good port, ie a well-optimised game, is one that makes the best use of the platform.

This game clearly doesn't do that, in fact, they've done the minimum to port it to PC.

You're obviously too dense to understand what I said the first time, so let me repeat it again, hopefully you'll get it this time.

And even though I agree with you that none of the issues should exist, this port is still better than 75% of the other ones on the market merely due to the fact that it runs well. It's a sad thing to say I know but any sign of progress, no matter how small, away from garbage like the Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Prototype ports are a step in the right direction.

You're basically repeating what I said earlier, except with a condescending tone and an attitude that screams of looking for conflict.
  1. Boards
  2. Bionic Commando
  3. Gamespot Review
  • Topic Archived