• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bionic Commando
  3. PC ports are finally getting great again.

User Info: jsmith2001

jsmith2001
10 years ago#31
BC was supposed to have DX10 support and other PC-exclusive stuff as well, as far as pre-release interviews are concerned, btw. Your crystal ball would've misled you here.

User Info: Asellus

Asellus
10 years ago#32
> Only the publisher cutting funding after the release of the console version is conjecture. The DX10 shaders and graphic setting menus being in the game is fact. If you don't believe me, feel free to check it out yourself. Open up quick.bundle with any one of the tools designed for this purpose, then check the graphic_menu node in data\menu\menues.xml. The shaders you will find in core\shaders\win32_dx10. <

Oh, I've looked (in my quest to find some hidden setting that would get of the game's stutters). In the nVidia control panel there's also a bionic_commando_dx10.exe profile. The game box itself even says that it's supposed to be DX10 enabled which suggests to me that it was something that was yanked at the very last minute and after it was too late change that.

Still though, without any word we're pretty much just stuck with conjecture as to why it was dropped. The under-performing console versions may have been a factor in Capcom not giving Grin any more time to fix some last minute bug but the lack of configurability is also perfectly in keeping with Grin's past unrushed releases - and if they were really putting any effort into it to begin with I doubt we'd be stuck with the permanent x-box controller heads ups.

User Info: ensomneac

ensomneac
10 years ago#33

Asellus posted...
Fortunately, that won't be the case with the PC version of RE5, which will have full support both for the USB Xbox 360 controller, as well as full-on mouse-and-keyboard free-look,

We'll see, I really hope so. But at this stage, it hasn't been released yet, so there's no point including it.

No one can say with absolute certainty either way until it's in the shops.

Asellus posted...
The PC version of RE4 wasn't done by Capcom, it was done by Ubisoft.

Again, it has their name on it. They get the praise, criticism, and profit.

All you have to do to see how well CapCom's latest games are ported is to look at their widescreen support.

All they've done is taken a 4:3 image, and made it VERT-.

And the cut-scene's are 16:9 anamorphic, as well as the XBox 360 key hints even if you use a keyboard.

If that's not lazy porting, I don't know what is. There is NO excuse for that these days.

Without even playing Bionic Commando, I can instantly tell it's a console port from the game menu.

ensomneac
10 years ago#34

[QUOTE="Aselluswhich suggests to me that it was something that was yanked at the very last minute [/QUOTE]

Yet you state with absolute certainty that Resident Evil 5 will be great.

You don't know if they'll remove or not include things.

How many times have developers promised or demo'ed (sic) something, only to not release it in the final product, or release something totally different?

And you don't know if Resident Evil 5 will be bug-ridden,or if it's widescreen support will be good etc etc.

All you're going on is what the company has released to journalists (term used loosely).

In this industry, that's not very clever, and it often ends up being wrong.

I'm willing to put money on Resident Evil5's widescreen support to be mediocre at best.

How can I be so sure? Easy, look at their other releases.

User Info: BlazeODU

BlazeODU
10 years ago#35
Capcom did pretty good with Bionic Commando's PC port, but the thing that ruins it for me is that I now realize that I can't lower the graphics setting, just the screen resolution, I spend 50 bucks on a game I can't play because it won't let me turn it down a bit...
I'm a weird guy who rants a lot! I can prove it on my show!

User Info: jackandblood

jackandblood
10 years ago#36

I think Rockstar made a judgement call, "we can make more money by having our port promote Intel quad cores (which Intel undoubtably paid for) than by actual sales, (given the nature of PC piracy). Probably the wrong call.

Since the 360 is about equivalent to a solid 2007 rig i'd expect ports to be more a matter of tuning the controls than the tech.

Asellus
10 years ago#37
> Again, it has their name on it. They get the praise, criticism, and profit.

All you have to do to see how well CapCom's latest games are ported is to look at their widescreen support.

All they've done is taken a 4:3 image, and made it VERT-.

And the cut-scene's are 16:9 anamorphic, as well as the XBox 360 key hints even if you use a keyboard.

If that's not lazy porting, I don't know what is. There is NO excuse for that these days. <

Er, yes there is actually - if they made it hor+ then if a 16:9 and 4:3 player are fighting together then the widescreen player would be able to walk right out of the 4:3's screen. Both players have to have the same field of view.

And given 16:9 is native (as you already mentioned with the cutscenes, not to mention menus, health bars, etc. were clearly designed to be viewed at that aspect ratio) it's probably better to describe the 4:3 fov as being ver+, which is a lot nicer to owners of old screens than sticking them with black bars would be.

> I'm willing to put money on Resident Evil5's widescreen support to be mediocre at best.

How can I be so sure? Easy, look at their other releases. <

DMC4, certified gold
http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14097

And I could take your lunch money right now by just pointing out at the RE5 benchmark tool.

ensomneac
10 years ago#38

Asellus posted...
Er, yes there is actually - if they made it hor+ then if a 16:9 and 4:3 player are fighting together then the widescreen player would be able to walk right out of the 4:3's screen. Both players have to have the same field of view.

That's rubbish, and it doesn't apply to all games anyway.

Asellus posted...
DMC4, certified gold

That's one game, what about the rest. And it doesn't mean it's a good port, far from it.

And it's certified widescreen support, with anamorphic cut-scenes.

Asellus posted...
And I could take your lunch money right now by just pointing out at the RE5 benchmark tool.

News flash, a benchmarking tool isn't a game! Wait till it's released, it hasn't happened yet.

Why do you keep bringing up a game,praising it and using it as an example, when it hasn't even been released yet.

ensomneac
10 years ago#39

BlazeODU posted...
Capcom did pretty good with Bionic Commando's PC port,

I enjoyed the game, but I don't agree it's a good port.

There are almost no graphic and audio options.

This game desperately needs AA and VSync. Screen tearing and jaggies are terrible in some areas.

You can't change resolution in-game, the anamorphic cut-scenes, and the annoying controller hints even with a keyboard.

None of this ruins the game, but it would have been a more enjoyable experience had they taken the time to port it correctly.

Asellus
10 years ago#40
> That's rubbish, and it doesn't apply to all games anyway. <

So, what would you do instead? Force letter boxing on the 4:3 version or let players walk off of their screens? Maybe they could make invisible barriers at the 4:3 cut off point instead for the 16:9 players? The nature of the game requires both players to share the same visible arena.

> Asellus wrote:
DMC4, certified gold

That's one game, what about the rest. And it doesn't mean it's a good port, far from it.

And it's certified widescreen support, with anamorphic cut-scenes. <

What's wrong with it? It's not even an actual port, the pc's the game's native platform.

And I'm pretty darned sure that all the cut-scenes are rendered with the in-game engine. The only fmv in the game is the attract screen.

> Asellus wrote:

News flash, a benchmarking tool isn't a game! Wait till it's released, it hasn't happened yet.

Why do you keep bringing up a game,praising it and using it as an example, when it hasn't even been released yet. <

The benchmark tool will do just fine in determining the game's widescreen support. Heck, you could reasonably extrapolate from dmc4 given that it runs on the same engine.
  1. Boards
  2. Bionic Commando
  3. PC ports are finally getting great again.
  • Topic Archived