• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Bionic Commando
  3. PC ports are finally getting great again.

User Info: Asellus

Asellus
10 years ago#21
> They still all favour a controller, and don't have advanced options. <

Some game types simply do. If you want to play a fighter with a mouse, you're crazy.

> Anyway, that "good streak" has been well and truly broken with Bionic Commando. <

Capcom's just the publisher in this case, the game and game engine were both developed by Grin.

User Info: NightSage

NightSage
10 years ago#22
Yeah, they did a great job with this. The controls work much better on the pc then they do on the console version.
New unfunny signature pending.....

User Info: ensomneac

ensomneac
10 years ago#23

Asellus posted...
Some game types simply do. If you want to play a fighter with a mouse, you're crazy.

No one said anything about fighter games (I was talking more on the lines of games like Resident Evil).

Anyway, what ifa playerdid? The user should have the option.

You can't go wrong with choice.

"Capcom's just the publisher in this case, the game and game engine were both developed by Grin"

Yes, I know that, that's why I stated "publisher/developer".

Regardless, they put their name to it, so they get the credit and the criticisim, as well as the profit.

Asellus
10 years ago#24
> No one said anything about fighter games (I was talking more on the lines of games like Resident Evil). <

Resident Evil 5 will.

> Anyway, what ifa playerdid? The user should have the option.

You can't go wrong with choice. <

You can by making people think it's a viable choice and you can by wasting development time on a laughable idea.

If you really absolutely must I'm sure there are third party apps that will let you live out your fantasies and get your face pounded in by three year olds.

ensomneac
10 years ago#25
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]

Asellus
10 years ago#26
> No idea what that's supposed to mean...... <

"RE5 will support mouse control", is the context really that difficult to figure out?

> You can by making people think it's a viable choice and you can by wasting development time on a laughable idea.

If you really absolutely must I'm sure there are third party apps that will let you live out your fantasies and get your face pounded in by three year olds.

So things like mouse support and game menu options are a "laughable idea and waste of development time"? :roll: <

Mouse support in a title that's inherently unsuited for being played with a mouse is a waste of time, yes. I don't know what your fixation with menu options is but actual Capcom titles have had more than, say, most UT3 engine titles that have made their way pc side in recent memory.

> Why don't they just dumb everything down, in case some dumb arse can't figure out how to use something.

That would keep you happy, and your 13 Y.O noobs.

Becauseaccording to you, having these options means I'll "get my face pounded in by three year olds". :lol: <

Right. That's exactly what I'm saying.

User Info: jsmith2001

jsmith2001
10 years ago#27
Capcom's just the publisher in this case, the game and game engine were both developed by Grin.

Yeah, and it's "just" the publisher that needs to cut further funding after seeing the console versions underperform. The DX10 shaders and graphics option menus can be found within the game - do you suppose those would still be there if the developers were indifferent about the port's quality?

ensomneac
10 years ago#28

Asellus posted...
"RE5 will support mouse control", is the context really that difficult to figure out?

It hasn't even been released yet. Put away your crystal ball till it is. Is that too hard for you to understand? :roll:

We were discussing games like Resident Evil 4 etc. They've actually been released.....

Asellus posted...
I don't know what your fixation with menu options is

It's called VSync, it's called being able to set the game up the way I want etc. It's called CHOICE.

I know having to change settings is too hard for someone like you.

You'd prefer the developer did everything for you, and held your little hand throughout.

Asellus posted...
Mouse support in a title that's inherently unsuited for being played with a mouse is a waste of time, yes.

So, Resident Evil 4 plays better without a mouse? Explain that one? Can't wait to hear it.

Asellus
10 years ago#29
> Yeah, and it's "just" the publisher that needs to cut further funding after seeing the console versions underperform. The DX10 shaders and graphics option menus can be found within the game - do you suppose those would still be there if the developers were indifferent about the port's quality? <

A possibility but I'm basing my assumption on BC:R and Terminator Salvation which used the same engine and had the same degree of graphic options - ie, none.

========

> It hasn't even been released yet. Put away your crystal ball till it is. Is that too hard for you to understand? :roll:

We were discussing games like Resident Evil 4 etc. They've actually been released..... <

"Fortunately, that won't be the case with the PC version of RE5, which will have full support both for the USB Xbox 360 controller, as well as full-on mouse-and-keyboard free-look, just like your favorite PC-native first-person shooters. You can even switch controls on the fly--should you put down your USB controller and grab your mouse, the game will immediately recognize the change in input and also give differing contextual instructions onscreen (instead of instructing you to press your controller's blue X button to pick up that box of bullets, it'll instead prompt you to press your F key). The PC controls seem to work quite well and are very intuitive; while using a USB controller will activate the classic Resident Evil red laser gun-sight on your weapon to help you paint your targets, switching to a mouse-and-keyboard setup will turn off the laser sight and pull up a traditional targeting reticle with full, free mouse-look--without any console-style "sticky aim" or any other kind of aiming assistance. Using Chris Redfield's knife for close encounters or just to smash open barrels without wasting bullets will be a matter of pressing and holding the space bar to draw your knife, then left-clicking on your mouse (the default fire/attack input) to swing your weapon. What's most gratifying about the PC control scheme is that you don't have to use RE5's "real-time inventory" system, which would pull up your inventory in translucent windows onscreen right on top of the action and right before that raging zombie buried a knife in your face. Instead, you can swap weapons first-person-shooter style with the number keys on your keyboard. You can even reload by pressing the R key."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/blogs/preview-blog/909185203/26961214/we-just-played-resident-evil-5-pc-now-in-3d-vision.html

My spooky crystal ball is uncanny, no?

> It's called VSync, it's called being able to set the game up the way I want etc. It's called CHOICE.

I know having to change settings is too hard for someone like you.

You'd prefer the developer did everything for you, and held your little hand throughout. <

Yes, I still remember how to set up a Quake aliases but give me *menu options* and my poor little head explodes.

> So, Resident Evil 4 plays better without a mouse? Explain that one? Can't wait to hear it. <

The PC version of RE4 wasn't done by Capcom, it was done by Ubisoft.

User Info: jsmith2001

jsmith2001
10 years ago#30
A possibility but I'm basing my assumption on BC:R and Terminator Salvation which used the same engine and had the same degree of graphic options - ie, none.

Only the publisher cutting funding after the release of the console version is conjecture. The DX10 shaders and graphic setting menus being in the game is fact. If you don't believe me, feel free to check it out yourself. Open up quick.bundle with any one of the tools designed for this purpose, then check the graphic_menu node in data\menu\menues.xml. The shaders you will find in core\shaders\win32_dx10.
  1. Boards
  2. Bionic Commando
  3. PC ports are finally getting great again.
  • Topic Archived