My quick thoughts on Days of Ruin

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. My quick thoughts on Days of Ruin

User Info: Changlini

Changlini
5 months ago#1
So far I've played a bit of Advance Wars, then beaten AW2 and Dual Strike on both normal and hard difficulties. Then last week I've S-Ranked every challenge and campaign mission for Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict. And ever since I had an itch to shares some thoughts on this game with someone.

To start off:
I really like how Advance Wars Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict allows the player to play against the computer without using a Commanding Officer and/or their abilities in any matches. While it is understandable on why the developers introduced Commanding Officers and their superpowers to add more of a dynamic strategical element for every match played, I question the decision to not include a CO-less option for multiplayer until. Whether or not playing CO-less may have been considered unpopular, having that option in this game has allowed me to play without the annoyance of having to deal with the opposing army suddenly becoming powered up enough for a turn to decimate the strategic (and blunderous) choices I’ve so far made.

Before I forget (since Days of Ruin automatically deletes quick-save data once a match is completed):
Bean Island – 35 Days Limit – 1000 income
Clear Weather – Desert Terrain – 0 starting funds
Lvl Up On – No CO for Player – Cualder as Enemy CO
Completed by Day 30’s end due to Caulder suiciding his infantry against my Mech unit that was capturing his north-western most factory.

The above is what I can remember of the self-challenge match I’ve finished to day. While I can go into how much I dislike going up against COs that are considered high difficulty, imma go into the following takeaway from this game:

I appreciate the developer for changing up the unit roster available for the player in Days of Ruin/Dark Conflict. Units like the Bike, which is a low cost infantry riding motorcycles to travers long distances in a short amount of time and capture buildings, or the Gunboat being a light cost naval unit able to ferry infantry long distances over water and do decent damage to all but the submerged submarine naval unit, even the other low cost units have added a somewhat fresh dispersion in tactics for the player to implement that the previous games lacked-if only because of how expensive decent naval and air units can be. My favorite unit to look at is the Anti-tank, but I’ve found the Aircraft Carrier’s ability to produce seaplanes to be a welcomed addition to decent income matches that allows for them; since this allows carriers to vicariously remain as productive ranged units through their use of such reliantly mobile strike forces.

Uh… I’ve run dry in my thoughts, so…
While real time strategy games like Battalion Wars(being RTSes that allow the player go down into the battlefield and shoot alongside/as their units) hold my interest over the turn based nature of the advance wars series, these games(Advance Wars) have still provided me with decent enough gameplay that I can appreciate them for what they bring to the tactical market.
http://stuffin.space
https://youtu.be/fGanVb5htcc?t=49m44s

User Info: Lord_Wombat

Lord_Wombat
5 months ago#2
Yeah, AW is great.

Tried BW, couldn't get into it. Seemed far too linear to be a RTS game
Slayer>Megadeth>Amon Amarth>Alice in Chains>Every other Metal band>Other Genres of music>A bagpipe full of cats>>>>Country music

User Info: satoka-eldon

satoka-eldon
4 months ago#3
Lord_Wombat posted...
Yeah, AW is great.

Tried BW, couldn't get into it. Seemed far too linear to be a RTS game

Me too, regarding BW (and I think I bought both of them, anticipating future scarcity). I don't think it was the linearity that I couldn't get into; I remember thinking how confusing it was to try to find the right unit, though.
My Pokemon / Golden Sun covers:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVwSht-blOhA2JE_re_qegg

User Info: DoctorEggman

DoctorEggman
4 months ago#4
Battalion wars was mediocre. I just want another AW...
If you read this signature, then that meant that I had control of what you read for 5 SECONDS!!
http://i.imgur.com/n8yh1.jpg

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
4 months ago#5
A lot of us want another AW game.

I'd settle for an expansion for this one (akin to Fallout 4: New Vegas -- it uses the same game core, but centers around different scenarios, characters, etc.) -- or just an add-on to use more COs, fighting-game slugfest style.
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

satoka-eldon
4 months ago#6
Pako Pako posted...
A lot of us want another AW game.

I'd settle for an expansion for this one (akin to Fallout 4: New Vegas -- it uses the same game core, but centers around different scenarios, characters, etc.) -- or just an add-on to use more COs, fighting-game slugfest style.

I'd be pretty happy with this, although I hope they could upgrade the battle animations at the same time. (I prefer the crispness of previous installments.) I wouldn't want them to go overboard with new COs, though - I think a roster of 12-18 is ideal.

One thing I would like to see is an expansion of the COs-joining-the-battlefield thing, maybe with extra characters that you can add to units to give them certain low-level boosts. Nothing as OP as CO powers from the first DS game, but enough to potentially gain the edge in an otherwise grindy battle.
(message deleted)

Pako Pako
4 months ago#8
satoka-eldon posted...
One thing I would like to see is an expansion of the COs-joining-the-battlefield thing, maybe with extra characters that you can add to units to give them certain low-level boosts. Nothing as OP as CO powers from the first DS game, but enough to potentially gain the edge in an otherwise grindy battle.
Well, that's why I wanted more CO's -- a more diverse pool would allow different strategies to be utilized (between experienced players, it would end up with a grindy fight... but it would be a different kind of grind).

Maybe a level-1 CO Power?

satoka-eldon
4 months ago#9
Pako Pako posted...
satoka-eldon posted...
Well, that's why I wanted more CO's -- a more diverse pool would allow different strategies to be utilized (between experienced players, it would end up with a grindy fight... but it would be a different kind of grind).

Maybe a level-1 CO Power?

I think I mean having two tiers of non-generic units, although maybe that'd be a little overcomplicated. :P

I started to understand recently why Intelligent Systems haven't made a new game yet - they are aware that FE started to sell well because of its dating sim elements, but they really can't figure out how to incorporate that into AW. Hence the suggestion of a second tier of characters that behave like FE ones (e.g. can form supports & have certain special skills), except that they shouldn't alter the genericness of the battle units too much... if that makes sense.

Pako Pako
4 months ago#10
satoka-eldon posted...
Hence the suggestion of a second tier of characters that behave like FE ones (e.g. can form supports & have certain special skills), except that they shouldn't alter the genericness of the battle units too much... if that makes sense.

It's easy to have unique units leading generic units. Civilization (PC) has done that for years. Master of Magic (PC) has that. Der Langrisser (SFC/GMD/PS1/SS/PC) has an entire game revolving around that. Even games like Dragon Knight 4 (SFC/PC) have that. Ogre Battle and Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics (SFC/NGP/PS1/SS/GBA/NDS/PSP...) and other tactical SRPGs (like Romance of the Three Kingdoms) have it too.

Der Langrisser and Dragon Knight 4 mechancs are a bit like AW4. Your army has leaders (CO units) who have a Zone around them that give units bonuses. All fights are pre-deployed with no production (save for "towns" that heal if you end your turn on them). If the "CO unit" dies, the army they were deployed with vanishes too. However those games were more like Fire Emblem where as the story progresses, your army grows by recruiting "leaders" and those leaders then recruit massive armies under them.

http://brawlinthefamily.keenspot.com/comic/title-559/

This means players will get attached to the leaders and expect them to grow, make funny jokes, etc. And that is a lot of characters you have to make and flesh out lest they look... robotic and generic. (Shut UP Andy.)

More traditional strategy games like Ogre Battle, Master of Magic, and Civilization scenarios use an "elevated generic unit". Said hero unit is just a "modified super-unit" that when dead, cannot be re-produced (and either is permanently dead or recovers by next stage). Civilization handled the hero units as actually the next evolution of unit (Megatank to Neotanks) that were closed off from production or just REALLY expensive and/or convoluted to revive in mid-battle. Strategy games like Dune or Starcraft have a faction-unit that is unique to your side, but takes extra-long to make it might not be worth the tie-up it causes your factory. (Just like in AW4 when it takes "2 days" to make a CO Unit.)

There are a lot of was the devs can take it... but the hard part is to make it a system unique to the game so it doesn't look derivative, and to make it MTX-friendly so people can sign up for a "subscription service" without making the game look like a giant money-grab.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. My quick thoughts on Days of Ruin

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived