Is there a central location for AW4 designed maps or do I have to stalk people?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. Is there a central location for AW4 designed maps or do I have to stalk people?

User Info: Pako Pako

Pako Pako
3 months ago#11
Pop tanks that aren't in a CO zone though.

Is it just my playstyle, or do CO units tend to go head-to-head more often than not?
-=PakoPako=- (Proud member of board 917023!)
"This was brought to you by FRUNGY, the Sport of Kings!"

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
3 months ago#12
Eh, that's basically the tussle.

Mobile COUs try to pop units outside of the enemy zone to take advantage. The air/tank COs have the advantage because they generally want highly mobile units so they can change strong point easily.

But yeah, it often happens that you get a CO vs. CO slugfest and Tasha's not very good at that.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

Pako Pako
2 months ago#13
Hnng.

Took me awhile to copy everything onto an emulator. https://imgur.com/a/R1b2D

I've got 30-ish maps in the damn game. I have to stitch up entire maps via the Edit screen if I want a critique don't I?

Pako Pako
2 months ago#14
Geez this takes even longer to edit together.

Is there an easier way to capture the map cleanly other than DesMuME and MS Paint?

https://imgur.com/a/f2utP

Tetris-7 is one of my better (IMHO) and rarer foray into asymmetrical map design. It uses all the Tetris pieces (7 of each) along with some bridges to create a mess of a maze. I dunno if I spaced the A.ports and Towers correctly enough; I'd like to keep the tetrad theme, but I wonder if it's possible to reduce the bridges to 7 as well.

Maple Kiss is something I made while getting pissed off at Clover Kiss (an AW1/2 map) that just does not translate well into AW4; P3 is just screwed unless they hang back and accumulate a force big enough to push one side out (if P1 and P2 don't just eat them early). Maple Kiss, a mangling of mispronunciations, kinda resolves this by giving the middle player a sizable starting force while being sandwiched between two others.

Runabout shows off how much I love symmetrical maps and is a shrunken version of a larger map I have. The premise works the same: break the meteors to reach additional bases, break the meteors to cause chaos, and P1 is at a slight disadvantage early. Does this mini-map still work with all the properties so close together?

Center Stage is another example of symmetrical map and asymmetrical army. Not sure if a map this spacious is fun to play in or just artificially long.

I've got ~30 more of these, mostly 4P maps, some 2P. I experimented with small maps, large maps, 1P handicap, 4P bonus, pre-deployed, artistic themes, historical themes... I kinda wanna make something like Grid Assault where there are 4 completely different pre-deployed army structures.

Xenesis Xenon
2 months ago#15
I'd recommend Graphicsgale for stitching it together, it has a very nice snap-to-grid function which is really good with sprites and tiles.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

Pako Pako
2 months ago#16
Xenesis Xenon posted...
I'd recommend Graphicsgale for stitching it together, it has a very nice snap-to-grid function which is really good with sprites and tiles.

Hm. But then the other issue is DeSmuME's screenshot feature and cropping the upper screen.

Xenesis Xenon
2 months ago#17
The DS screens are the same dimensions, so you can just set up a custom grid at the res of each screen and delete the top one.

Pako Pako
2 months ago#18
Xenesis Xenon posted...
The DS screens are the same dimensions, so you can just set up a custom grid at the res of each screen and delete the top one.

I have no idea what that means. I also have no idea how to use the snap feature -- all I can get it to do is align the screen shots at random places (and for some reason, at different resolutions -- the in-game grids do not align properly between screen captures). The layer-transparency is also quite different from GiMP (where I would normally use it to measure overlap by putting the pasted layer at 50%) in that it renders all layers at that transparency.

Pako Pako
2 months ago#19
Stitched together my first maps:

https://imgur.com/a/hAu0U

01: Reversal. A pretty basic test. Heavily favors player-1 (red) on capture, forcing blue-player to pick a counter-strategy to delay that.

02: Race! Fooled around with pre-set rules, making the AI ultra aggressive and throwing in sandstorm for the heck of it.

03: High and Low. First time I've created a map on a large scale. A mish-mash of resources focusing on a rush to capture factories.

04: Square Deal. My attempt to balance player-1 advantage within a medium-sized map. Red starts with 1 fewer property, Black with 1 more. Yellow and Black start with 1 tower (out of 4).

Pako Pako
2 months ago#20
https://imgur.com/a/tn1zBe8

The 8th set of maps. These were smaller and easier to stitch.
I tried to design maps that were friendly to a mix of all COs or non-COs. (Small with limited production and lots of FOW hideaways.)

27: Entry Barrier. A simple vertical map for 3 players with 4 major choke stages. Player-1 has to pick who to tackle first and hope to crush them before the other side approaches. The other sides have to fight over who captures Red.
Player 1 has several handicaps: 1 fewer Factory, but an additional A-port (and potentially 1 more factory than either other players), 10 Radars instead of Cities. Player 3 has a starting advantage over P2 (a non-neutral Radar).
I wanted to add more meteors (sets of 3 instead of 1), but only had 5 more slots. I tried removing some mountains to achieve the same effect, but found it those side paths were not very useful and broke up the "valley" look of the map.

28: Recycle. A small 3-player stage modeled after the international recycling logo. Each arrow has the same area, arranged slightly differently.

29: Runaround. The prototype to 4-player symmetrical map Runabout (#33). A medium-large map that has a lot of spacing. I created Runabout because I wanted a faster alternative, but the size of this map gives players more to think about. I was thinking about more beaches along the "outer-ring", but felt that it made those 8 middle factories too important. Similarly with trying to re-position those middle factories to have beaches on both sides made them too accessible and would take emphasis off of long and dangerous T-Ship runs.

30: Ying Yang. A 2P pre-deployed war-room style slugfest. Because of the divider design, the lower-right S-port is unconquerable. It was a fun concept to work with, and I *think* I've ironed out the balancing issues (Blue has more maneuverability, but slower production).
I think this is the prettiest map I've made, even if the play-style it encourages (trench warfare -- with SEAPLANES) is the ugliest kind of fighting.

Is... is anyone actually seeing these maps?
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. Is there a central location for AW4 designed maps or do I have to stalk people?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived