noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

User Info: skater43

skater43
9 months ago#131
Victory! And an A rank to boot. Lost points on speed (took 42 days, so no real surprise there), but got 92 points for power and max points for technique, so there you go. Took a couple of days longer than expected because at the end, she decided to start making planes again. Part of that was I eventually had two guys sitting on her factories, so the only thing could produce were planes, but from a tactical standpoint, my air defenses were basically non-existent by that point, so she was able to do some damage. And it caught me by surprise, too. I wasted a couple of turns not building more units because I basically had everything in the bag, so it took a couple of turns to get fighters up to the front to take out her planes (and by that time, I'd also parked units on her airfields, so she couldn't produce anymore anything). Knock down, drag 'em out fight, but we expected that. Both spent almost exactly the same, but her loss cost was much higher. I lost 40 units, she lost 85, but a quarter of those were infantry/mach/bike units. I produce much fewer of those, so she was taking out higher cost stuff of mine. The fact that I took 15 cities, 4 factories and 3 airfields, to her 7, 2 and 3 also made a difference as I was able to eventually out-produce her. As I said, didn't bother not taking out the missiles first couple of rounds and not going for the factory, so can't say how much of a difference they made, but they did contribute to my victory, so thanks for the tip.

Anyway, yack, yack, yack, Caulder trying to psych Will out, it's put up or shut up time. One last hoorah, here we go. See I start with a 15 to 10 unit advantage and 19 to 12 production advantage, but I suspect Caulder's got some megaweapon in The Nest or something to negate those advantages. Also think the start of this is going to be like a game of Hungry, Hungry Hippos with everyone trying to capture as many cities/factories/airfields as they can. Which means I'll have an advantage there, too, since he doesn't start off with any infantry type units. But, we shall see.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

User Info: gamemaster712

gamemaster712
9 months ago#132
The problem with c26 is...
You can’t drag it out...
The longer it goes worse for you...
Just try to destroy the canons asap and build a bomber or two when needed.
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder
Life's too short for silly worries, have fun.

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
9 months ago#133
Yeah, it's compounded by the fact that Caulder himself is ridiculous. Enjoy the most nightmarish CO to face in an AW game hahah.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

gamemaster712
9 months ago#134
If all else fails there’s a good day by day that helps much
Lord of gaming!!!(probably) 2DS FC: 2122-9429-5521 Sun: Sean; Moon: Lizzie; OGTG/DEG ultimate hax breeder

skater43
9 months ago#135
Well, can't say we're off to a great start, but not throwing in the towel on this attempt just yet. Unfortunately, I forgot to build new units the first couple of days, so that put me behind some. I have taken out the left laser, but frankly, the exploding balls he launches are doing much more damage to my units. Couple of guys got hurt the first round by one of the lasers, but after that, it's been pretty easy to avoid them. The balls though, do a good job of always hitting something of mine. Don't know if the balls hurt the enemy, too, though there's prolly a way to use the lasers to my advantage. Meanwhile, he's outnumbering me in the unit department by a bit (20 to 14), though I've got several more production units (including both com towers) (29 to 12). Hopefully, that means I can start out-producing him and get the units a little more even. He COed a fighter unit, which is going to be bad news for my bombers, but I've got a couple of AA guns and can see about some missiles to combat that. Otherwise, we'll see what we can do about taking out more lasers.
"Never again is what you swore the time before." - Depeche Mode, "Policy of Truth"

gamemaster712
9 months ago#136
There’s no shame using a Day by Day for this one...
He’s a total b****

User Info: Xenesis Xenon

Xenesis Xenon
9 months ago#137
See if you can keep Caulder in the fighter, it's probably the easiest unit to work around.
www.warsworldnews.com - Wars World News - The most chilled Advance Wars community on the web.

gamemaster712
9 months ago#138
Xenesis Xenon posted...
See if you can keep Caulder in the fighter, it's probably the easiest unit to work around.

Fascinating

skater43
9 months ago#139
Day 10 now, I'm outnumbered 26 to 9 (though I'm way up on production centers 33 to 15), only taken out the one laser and things aren't really going anywhere, so we'll scrap this run and take a second stab at this mission. Think I'm going to glance at a couple of the guides, just to get a feel for getting things started. Generally, if you can start this missions well, though they may drag out for a while, you've got a excellent chance of winning.

skater43
9 months ago#140
Easiest S rank ever. Maybe followed the guide a little too far. Used Warfeak's guide on the site here for the first 4 days and by that time, I had the two outer lasers destroyed and a bunch of units near the middle lasers, so it was just a matter of time. The northern enemies were about wiped out, excluding the new ones he created obviously, and the eastern ones did their thing and weren't really a threat. Could have done better at dodging the central lasers and maybe gotten some ranged weapons up there to help from a distance, but I wasn't too concerned at that point. Took 9 days total but still got full points for speed. Only lost 4 units (and a couple of those were in the last days down in the southeast, so weren't helping anyway. One missile, one AA gun, one fighter and one infantry) while taking out 17 of his, so max points for power and technique, too. But that finishes things up. Prolly going to take another crack at this mission seeing about doing more/all on my own, now that I've got a better feel of what to do. I've done a couple of the side missions already, so I'll prolly take a look at some more of those as well. Meanwhile, thanks to gm, Xenesis and others for help, encouragement, reading these adventures, etc.
  1. Boards
  2. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
  3. noob and a salty vet continue their Advance Wars adventures

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived