General Etrian Odyssey II Board FAQ Version 2.0...

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
  3. General Etrian Odyssey II Board FAQ Version 2.0...

User Info: jonnymar

jonnymar
10 years ago#1
This is my second attempt at this, so it’ll probably STILL need some refinement…

Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard Game Board Frequently Asked Questions Version 2.0

Topics Covered

A) Just turned my game on…
1) Do I have to play the first game before this one?
2) What’s the use of the password from the first game?
3) Do you have a sample password so I don’t have to actually finish the first game?

B) Getting started…
1) What’s a good starting party?
2) How should I build my characters?
3) What happened to Immunize?! Were all the great moves eliminated?!

C) General tips to help you on the way…
1) What are some general things I should know?
2) I keep getting slaughtered by FOEs! What should I do?
3) How do I get past the Mission on Floor 3?
4) What are some tips for leveling and/or earning money early on?
5) What’s a good strategy for Chimarea?
6) Do I REALLY have to beat Salamox? He’s brutal!
7) How do I beat Hellion?
8) When do Bosses respawn?

D) Some extra info…
1) How does resting and retiring work?
2) What does each stat do exactly?
3) I need help with a particular quest.
4) Is there a list of the conditional item drops?
5) Other resources…

More...please do not post...
Just because you're paranoid, that doesn't mean they're not out to get you...
~{jON(ny)mAr}~ The Original Ellipsis Over-User...

jonnymar
10 years ago#2
A) Just turned my game on…
1) Do I have to play the first game before this one?
No. There is almost no connection between the two games. You can transfer a password to this game after beating the first game, but this password doesn’t really do much. See next question.

2) What’s the use of the password from the first game?
The password nets you an item (either Town Medal which gives a single character +10 to hp/tp and +1 to all stats, or Town Crown which gives +15 to hp/tp and +2 to all stats) and transfers your guild name over. Also, a password will get you some additional dialogue at the beginning of the game and, I’ve heard, change the outcomes of some of the floor-specific events within the game (potentially making them more difficult). To find your password, you must have defeated at least the boss of floor 25 of Etrian Odyssey 1. Upon doing so, load your game and go to the Options section of your party menu. Click on password and write it down carefully. Also note that some people have been having problems with their passwords not transferring. You can get more information here:

http://atlus.com/new_forum/viewtopic.php?t=1532

3) Do you have a sample password so I don’t have to actually finish the first game?
The link above includes a sample password, although I’ve never tried it. In addition, board member AllSystemsGo posted his password not too long ago so others could use it:

L63UUZ1ulh&F&nEow&z3
ffzptP&&XP?DVAl&zCbh
pIrRScJ1iV?Kg&&E&otb
&F?VQXvyhSd&&?

Note that in the first line: ...ulh... l is lower case L; in the second line: ...Al&... l is lower case L; and in the third line: pIr... I is upper case i. The password has been tested by many people and seems to work.

The guild name is C.Q.C. (Close Quarter Combat) and this password should get you the Town Crown. You can change the guild name to whatever you want shortly after starting.

B) Getting started…
1) What’s a good starting party?
Like the first game, a good starting party is still Landsknecht, Protector, Survivalist, Alchemist, and Medic. However, you now have a lot more options when starting out. You can select from every class from the get-go, including two of the new classes (War Mage and Gunner). Beasts will become available after you finish off the boss of Floor 5.

If you’re looking for more physical damage potential, you can swap in a Ronin (frontline) or Gunner (backline) for the Protector, Alchemist, or Survivalist. The new classes are, in my opinion, a mixed bag. War Mage is similar to a Combat Medic from the first Etrian Odyssey, but lacks more advance healing ability. The Gunner is similar in power to a Survivalist/Dark Hunter with some nifty abilities (such as Medishot for status ailments, Haltshot to stop FOEs, and some binds).

At the suggestion of board member Scy046, I personally run a Ronin, War Mage, Dark Hunter frontline with a Hexer and Gunner in back. This party gives you a nice mix of physical and some elemental damage, includes some great status ailments, and some excellent secondary attack and passive abilities.

jonnymar
10 years ago#3
2) How should I build my characters?
There are a lot of different theories as to how to best build each class. You can check out the current class build topic here:

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=43665287

I’ve combined together a few theories for each class below. This is by no means a complete list. Each class also includes a link to a more detailed explanation of each class’s skills, when available. These topics were done based on the Japanese version (I believe), so most of the bugs have been eliminated in other versions. The change of the Resting system (only losing 5 experience levels instead of 10) allows for more class experimentation, so these are really just rough guidelines for those who have no idea how to start.

a) Landsknecht:
You can focus on Swords as you gain access to Allslash and/or Tornado (good for group damage), or axes which are stronger versus a single enemy. Five points into axes and swords will give you access to the Chaser skills which follow elemental spells or attacks with similar elemental damage. Chasers work great with a Ronin or Alchemist. Counter and 2-hit are both mixed bags, so you can try them if you wish. Otherwise, focus on building up your stats a bit (hp, tp, and str mostly). Those who have focused on Axes seem to recommend Deathaxe.

b) Survivalist:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=42067298

For pure damage purposes, focus on Bows, Powershot, and Apollon. Ambush and 1st turn can help out and some people have been tinkering with Slowstep. There’s been less info about survivalists in general, so that’s all I got.

c) Protector:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=41952205

Work on shields to get to Smite and Anti-fire/cold/volt. Front/back/all guard can be helpful in the early game, but less so later on. Smite is your main damage dealer. Some others have used En Guard, Aegis, and Riskwall, but there’s been less chatter about these skills.

d) Dark Hunter:
Builds generally work towards the Climax and/or Ecstasy skills. A mastered Climax can kill any enemy that does no resist instant kills if that enemy is at 55% life or less. Start with Whips, you can get to Climax relatively quickly, and then focus on binds (such as Gag/Cuff). If you wish to go after Ecstasy, focus on getting binds first and then go for the big skill. The attract skills also have their potential uses so feel free to tinker (or boost stats with extra points).

e) Ronin:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=41811500

Most people seem to focus on Fire skills (Overhead stance) as this gives you access to Midareba, a multi-hit attack that is great for bosses. If you choose this route, start with Overhead and work your way towards Orochi/Kienzan for solid fire damage. Then focus on Dead Law to get Midareba. After that you can focus on stat increases and Clarity has its uses as well. You can also try the other stances if you run the Fire element with an Alchemist or Gunner.

f) Medic:
Focus on getting some early cure spells (Cure 1 or 2) and Revive can also help out (and cut the cost of buying nectars the first few stratum). Later, focus on the more advance cure spells (such as Cure 3 and Salve 3). CPR has its uses as does one point in Phoenix for a truly catastrophic fight. Lastly, boost stats with extra points.

jonnymar
10 years ago#4
g) Alchemist:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=41588237

Single and/or double elemental builds are still the norm, but the usefulness of Alchemist has decreased (IMHO, especially in the early game) because of the increase in the tp costs of their skills. The only useful physical attack is Piercing as very few enemies are weak to Slash or Blunt damage. The class does get a new uber-spell in Megido, so feel free to try it out.

h) Troubadour:
Shelter, Bravery, Stamina, and Health are your best bets. Relaxing is sorely missed. Ifrit, Ymir, and Taranis can also be played around with. Otherwise, build up tp and hp.

i) Hexer:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=42024193

The bread and butter skill for Hexer is revenge. This skill, when mastered, does 255% of a Hexer’s lost hp as damage for only 19 tp (thanks to Scy046 for the specifics). Curses can be useful, in general, but require high levels for high success rates. The debuffs (such as Dampen, Leaden, etc.) are also nice. Dampen is of special note as it strips a single enemy of elemental resistance. A bit expensive, but it helps out when you face an enemy with strong resistance. Corrupt is useful if you also use a War Mage as your WM can recover tp with cursecut if the enemy is cursed.

j) Gunner:
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=41831528

Generally, a good strategy is getting Guns high early and getting to Medishot as soon as you can as this skill can heal your whole party of status ailments for a relatively paltry 9tp. Gunner builds usually also invest in elemental shots to round out your party (for example, ice/voltshot if you run a Fire Ronin). Richochet is your big damage dealer for bosses. Binds can be helpful if you don’t use a Dark Hunter or Hexer, otherwise you can focus on improving stats and tinkering with the other gun skills.

k) War Magus:
War Lore will give you access to some healing spells. After that, you have a choice about what skills to focus on. One route is to go for sleepcut/cursecut if you also employ a Hexer. Cursecut replenishes tp based on the damage done (60% when mastered). This is useful considering you an also use transfer to keep your other party members tp up. Otherwise, you can focus on the buffs or other swordskills.

l) Beast:
I had a hard time finding anything on Beasts. So, instead, I’ll just link you to Terence’s Beast topic. Enjoy!

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=41876704

3) What happened to Immunize?! Were all the great moves eliminated?!
A lot of the uber-moves from the original Etrian Odyssey were weakened or eliminated all together. You will no longer find, for example, Defender or Immunize. Conversely, some other moves were improved. A great example is the Dark Hunter ability Climax. This attack (when mastered at level 10) will instantly kill any enemy that is not immune to One-hit Knockouts (OHKO) if that enemy is at 55% of their max HP or less. This move can even kill some bosses! The hit rate at max level was about 20% in Etrian Odyssey 1, so enjoy it while you can!

jonnymar
10 years ago#5
C) General tips to help you on the way…
1) What are some general things I should know?
Like the original, the difficulty curve for Etrian Odyssey II is somewhat steep. You should be prepared to die…often. That said, a helpful tip is to frequently head back to town to rest and save (especially early on). My general rule of thumb is to gain 2-3 levels per floor. Thus, heading to floor 2 at about level 3, floor 3 at about 6, and so on. ALWAYS HAVE A WARP WIRE WITH YOU! You can buy them by talking (actually “Talk” option) to the shop girl after completing the first mission. Warp wires will save you a lot of headaches if you’re trapped by a FOE or just lost in general. Speaking of FOES…

2) I keep getting slaughtered by FOEs! What should I do??
The FOEs are back in town and they no longer give experience…you heard me right. There remains little incentive to fighting FOEs when you initially encounter them. Many of them follow set patterns of movement which you can use to your advantage to avoid them. FOEs do sometimes offer rare item drops, so it makes sense to go back after you’ve gained some levels to fight them. But, in general, AVOID them through whatever means necessary (such as items or class skills).

3) How do I get past the Mission on Floor 3?
First and foremost note the wording of the mission. You do NOT have to beat the Furylord FOE. You just have to get around it. Use the Lure Bell item you got earlier in the floor to…well, lure…the FOE out of his resting place. Then, run around him and find the guard at the end of the corridor. You can then use a warp wire or use the two-way passage right behind the Furylord to start heading back to town. Mission complete!

4) What are some tips for leveling and/or earning money early on?
As noted by Scy046:
“The best way for both, really, is to kill Bosses; that said, that's not really an option for the first few floors. The main method for early money is to just create a team of Survivalists and dump all their points in Take (Floor 1 has a Take Point), Chop (Floor 3), or Mine (Floor 2, or Floor 4; easily reachable from the Floor 5 Geomagnetic Pole). Go to the point, gather until you can't, leave and repeat the process. (Beware potential random encounter with Raflesia!). As for EXP, you can go to Floor 3 and wait for an encounter with a Ladybug and leave it by itself; when alone, Ladybugs will summon Rafflesia, a giant ... flower. Kill Rafflesia and repeat the process.”

Also, Velius315 notes:
“I just created a bunch of useless characters, strip them of their dagger and armor, then delete them. They only sell for 10 en each, but you can create/dismiss them so fast. No need to do any dungeon walking either.”

5) What’s a good strategy for Chimaera, the boss of floor 5?
First and foremost remember that Chimaera is weak to Ice. An Alchemist with Ice attacks or a Gunner with Iceshot will help. Secondly, you’re going to want to immobilize (through Haltshot) the Imps in the room so they don’t enter the fight (they can heal and boost Chimy’s attack power). You can also lure these FOEs out (with lure balls; you access them by getting the rare chop from the point in the southwest area of floor 3) and fight them all to eliminate them from the equation. Once you’ve taken care of the Imps, head for the big guy. If your party is in the 15-17 level range, you should be able to outlast him.

jonnymar
10 years ago#6
6) Do I REALLY have to beat Salamox on floor 8? He’s brutal!
NO, you do NOT have to beat him. For the purposes of the mission, you just have to get the Fire Plume from behind him (located on the western-most “!”). You have to lure Salamox away from his resting place so you can go around him. First, make sure you have a warp wire! Then, approach him from either side (be careful to not engage the other FOEs in the room) and stop with one space between you and Salamox. Head backwards and he should follow. Lure him out into the larger part of the room and get around him whatever way you can. Head to the westernmost ! spot and search for the item. Warp the heck out of there.

7) How do I beat Hellion, the boss of floor 10?
First, you should know that Hellion almost always uses a party-confusion spell on his first turn that can really mess your team up. Thus, you’re going to want a Gunner with Medishot leveled so that it can eliminate confusion (or items to eliminate the ailment). As far as I know, he does not use the confusion spell again. Next up, you’re going to want an arm-binding ability (such as the Dark Hunter Cuffs ability) to stop Hellion’s Embrace attack (massive damage to adjacent characters and the Terror status). Hellion also uses Inferno, I’ve been told, which is a powerful fire spell, but I’ve never seen him use it.

My strategy for Hellion mainly uses a Hexer (with mastered Revenge), Gunner (with mastered Medishot and Richochet), and a Dark Hunter (with mastered Climax and Cuffs). A Hexer can do about 250-300 damage to Hellion if he or she is below 10 hp and is at approximately level 22-24. Have the Hexer attack with Revenge, the Gunner use Medishot on the first turn and then Ricochet the next few rounds, the Dark Hunter uses Cuffs to attempt binding Hellion and then Climax when Hellion is at about 50% life. The other two party members should attack or use skills. You may have to use a few nectars, but you’ll get both his drops and a few levels for your party with the above strategy.

8) When do Bosses respawn?
As far as I know, bosses respawn every 14 in-game days. You can create a level 1 character and sleep at the inn for 14 days to save money (cost 70en). Then, you can farm the bosses as much as you like (somewhat necessary to get the higher end equipment early on).

D) Some extra info…
1) How does resting and retiring work?
You can rest a character at anytime through your guild menu. Resting costs a character 5 experience levels, but allows you to completely reassign all of that character’s SP. This is useful if you find an ability doesn’t work out the way you hoped or once you get to later parts of the game (for example, investing in Cure 1 and Salve 1 early on for a War Mage and switching to Cure 2/3 and Salve 2 later).

jonnymar
10 years ago#7
For retirement I defer to Terence and Scy046, two board members who know much more than I:
Terence notes:
“A L30+ character may retire to create an enhanced recruit that comes with bonuses. If the retiring character is less than L60, then the recruit will be half the level of the retiring character, rounded down. At L60 or higher though, the recruit will be L30 and no higher. The recruit inherits the max level of the retiree. If the retiring character retires at max level, then the max level of the recruit is also increased by 1 to a maximum of 99. Finally, the recruit gains a bonus to all five stats (STR, TEC, VIT, AGI, LUC) and to their skill point total. This is based on the level of the retiring character:

L30-L39: +4 Stat, +4 Skill Points
L40-L49: +3 Stat, +5 Skill Points
L50-L59: +4 Stat, +6 Skill Points
L60-L69: +5 Stat, +7 Skill Points
L70-L98: +5 Stat, +8 Skill Points
L99: +10 Stat, +10 Skill Points

These bonuses do not carry over to the next retirement. And yes, you do get more Stat points at L30-39 than you do at L40-49. Probably a bug.”

Scy046 notes:
“If you plan to retire early for the stat bonus then, yes, that first Retire is all that matters as subsequent one's will just halve your level for the same bonus. Retiring at 70, however, raises the Level cap by 1. And, for the record, getting back to 70 from 30 isn't that bad; my Hexer is approaching 76 just from re-levelling my old characters >>.”

2) What does each stat do exactly?
From what I can tell, str increases attack power; tec increases spell potency, accuracy, and magic resistance; vit ups defense; agi improves dodging, turn order, and accuracy with str attacks; luc influences critical attacks, influences binding/status effects, and potentially increases dodging.

3) I need help with a particular quest.
There’s a quest forum here: http://www.intothelabyrinth.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=183
It’s a work in progress, however.

jonnymar
10 years ago#8
4) Is there a list of the conditional item drops?
Again, defer to Terence:
“The full list of conditional drops are as follows. If they're not listed here, they're not conditional:

Hedgehog: Long Pin (50%, Kill in 1 Turns)
Venomfly: Lymph (80%, Kill with Volt Element)
Redhorn: Red Horn (80%, Kill with Fire Element)
Kingmai: Iron Shell (70%, Kill with Ice Element)
Evil Eye: Gem Eye (70%, Don't kill with Cut/Bash/Stab Elements)
Cube Gel: Fiber Hide (80%, Kill with Stab Element)
Raflesia: Gum Vine (50%, Kill with Cut Element)

Mystue: Holed Rock (85%, Kill with Stab Element)
Garauchi: Ruby Scale (80%, Kill with Volt Element)
Tortmail: Armor Bone (75%, Kill with Bash Element)
Red Gel: Ice Fiber (75%, Kill with Ice Element)
Addleowl: Curse Nail (80%, Kill with Fire Element)

Fishman: Dew Scale (75%, Kill with Ice Element)
Moriyana: Front Wing (80%, Kill with Volt Element)
Sleipnir: White Hoof (100%, Kill while Legs are bound)
Clawbug: Stag Horn (60%, Kill with Cut Element)
Hugecrab: Whole Hull (75%, Don't kill with Cut/Bash/Stab Elements)
Redfish: Red Scale (75%, Kill with Fire Element)

Windsnip: Wind Blade (80%, Kill with Volt Element)
Big Moth: Dark Lymph (75%, Don't kill with Cut/Bash/Stab Elements)
Wrathbud: Blue Petal (90%, Kill in 1 Turns)
Petaloid: Hazard Bud (95%, Kill with Death Status)
Venombug: Curve Horn (75%, Kill with Fire Element)

Mandrake: Coal Brick (85%, Kill with Fire Element)
Ebonwing: Coal Skull (75%, Don't kill with Cut/Bash/Stab Elements)
Steelgun: Gold Arm (95%, Kill while Arms are bound)
Gemzard: Head Gem (80%, Kill with Ice Element)
Armorman: True Soul (65%, Kill with Bash Element)

Kingcap: Closed Cap (75%, Kill with Death Status)
Trihorn: Whole Horn (45%, Don't kill with Cut/Bash/Stab Elements)
Muckdile: Iron Fang (90%, Kill with Cut, Bash or Stab Element)

Awebull: Beast Meat (100%, Kill in 3 Turns)
Flygourd: Curse Vine (100%, Kill while completely bound)
Dinolich: Sword Rib (35%, Don't kill with Stab Element)
Asterios: Axe Shard (85%, Kill while Arms are bound)
Riptor: Call Horn (85%, Kill while Head is bound)
Raidmole: Sword Claw (85%, Kill while Arms are bound)
Kilohorn: Kilo Horn (85%, Kill while Head is bound)
Icefiend: Evil Rock (65%, Kill with Bash Element)
Pollener: Hazard Bud (95%, Kill with Death Status)
Stalker: Harvester (100%, Kill in 1 Turns)
Beamedge: Sword Chip (90%, Kill in 3 Turns)
Iceking: Ice Bone (95%, Kill in 5 Turns)

Chimaera: Brute Wing (100%, Kill while Poisoned)
Hellion: Sharp Claw (100%, Kill with Death Status)
Scylla: Snow Bone (100%, Kill in 3 Turns)
Harpuia: Cut Quill (100%, Kill while Poisoned)
Colossus: Red Spine (95%, Don't kill with Cut/Bash/Stab Elements)
Salamox: Flame Puff (100%, Kill with Fire Element)
Golem: Statue Arm (100%, Kill with Death Status)
Wyvern: Tough Wing (100%, Kill in 7 Turns)
Briareus: Giant Post (95%, Kill with Bash Element)
Wyrm: Fire Fang (100%, Kill with Fire Element)
Drake: Frost Bone (100%, Kill with Ice Element)
Dragon: Amp Barbel (100%, Kill with Volt Element)”

jonnymar
10 years ago#9
5) Other resources
Dealing with Encounters: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=41715746

Drop Rates and Scavenge: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=943642&topic=41706099

Places to look for maps:
http://www5.atwiki.jp/sekaiju_maze2/pages/59.html
http://bbs.levelup.cn/showtopic-586912.aspx

Also, Scy046 has made some of his own maps. See below…

Until some far higher-quality maps come along (Zaraf's~), here's quick low-quality maps to, if nothing else, show area layouts.

I'll note which maps are incomplete/missing locations but each one should give enough information to get from start to exit and find most chests, Gathering nodes, Event/Quest locations, and shortcuts.

Again, these are temporary until higher-quality maps come along (oh god, I should stop being lazy and work on that) but until then, enjoy.

[Note: These are all Photobucket uploads so ... yeah. Just a heads up.]

Album: http://s157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/

Individual links:

1st Stratum:

Floor 1: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor1.jpg

Floor 2: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor2.jpg

Floor 3: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor3-1.jpg
[Note: Area that requires a solo Troubadour unexplored; I had forgotten about going back, hah.]

Floor 4: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor4-1.jpg

Floor 5: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor5-1.jpg

jonnymar
10 years ago#10
2nd Stratum:

Floor 6: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor6-1.jpg

Floor 7: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor7-1.jpg

Floor 8: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor8-1.jpg
[Note: Missing some tiles; nothing important.]

Floor 9: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor9-1.jpg
[Note: Missing some tiles; nothing important.]

Floor 10: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor10.jpg
[Note: Missing the two secret areas; that said, the entrances are marked, their rooms just aren't mapped.]

3rd Stratum:

[Note: Yellow is used to mark the Ice tiles here; yes, it makes no sense. At the time, I was still thinking of the light-blue to mark FoE pathing but then I stopped. Never went back and fixed these.]

Floor 11: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor11.jpg

Floor 12: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor12.jpg

Floor 13: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor13.jpg

Floor 14: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor14.jpg
[Note: A few tiles missing; there's a Chest over there.]

Floor 15: http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/scy46/Floor15.jpg
[Note: The memo'd Yellow tiles require it to be Night to cross.]

1. Boards
  2. Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard
  3. General Etrian Odyssey II Board FAQ Version 2.0...

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.