You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
  3. Doing some MHFU speedruns

User Info: LonelyGaruga

LonelyGaruga
3 months ago#21
Got a 6:39 uploaded as a placeholder kind of thing to show where I'm currently at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEImhaSj9A

I messed up flinch timings here and there and got hit way more than I'd like against the second Narga, but it's something. Next update on it should be when I get a satisfactory run.

User Info: TheMetalGaia

TheMetalGaia
3 months ago#22
LonelyGaruga posted...
Got a 6:39 uploaded as a placeholder kind of thing to show where I'm currently at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cEImhaSj9A

I messed up flinch timings here and there and got hit way more than I'd like against the second Narga, but it's something. Next update on it should be when I get a satisfactory run.

Great stuff, Garuga. Keep it coming.

LonelyGaruga
3 months ago#23
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_K4oXVsjzM

6:09. I think I can get sub 6 after all, but I dunno if I should go for it or move on to the next quest now.

I really could not have asked for a better 1st Narga, but the 2nd one was kinda meh.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: orBhsiF

orBhsiF
2 months ago#24
jeof96 posted...
'member when mazereon and guns r cheating era?

It's kinda funny how the devs actually committed in making guns stupid OP with every iteration of MH.

Also, nice runs. I wanna play FU again but PSP is ded, and my PC can't run it on stable 60fps. Unstable framerate hurts the MOI frames timing.

MHFU runs on PPSSPP at capped 30fps AFAIK. Hopefully that might make things somewhat better for you? Although there might be a cheat code that enables 60fps but I don't know if that affects game speed.
Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-0592-9083-9035.

LonelyGaruga
2 months ago#25
Bumping thread so it doesn't get locked (what was it, 7 days of inactivity for a lock to take effect?).

I managed 6'08 and 6'07 runs of Ancient Beauty, Black Beast but a 2 second improvement isn't worth uploading, still aiming for sub 6. I've had a lot of morning shifts at work so I haven't been playing as much as I'd like recently. It's pretty tricky, gotta have an essentially flawless 1st Narga with fairly cooperate AI to get 2:50 to 3:10 before the 2nd Narga shows up, then a flawless run of that too in order to accomplish sub 6. On top of that, the 2nd Narga has to show up in a timely fashion, sometimes it arrives at like 3:30. Can't be too early or too late.

Sub 6 is definitely manageable, just need to actually pull it off.
(edited 2 months ago)

LonelyGaruga
2 months ago#26
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LejrmM2tfqg

Got sub 6 on Ancient Beauty, Black Beast. 5'56 clear, 11 seconds faster than the previous PB, 13 faster than the previous upload. I got hit once each on the Nargas and it was far from perfect so I'm not really sure how I managed to clear it so quickly when I had runs with better execution that weren't able to manage it. I'm not sure about MHFU specifically, but later games like P3rd do not have HP variance in multi-monster quests, so I'm inclined to think MHFU is the same way, so that wouldn't be an explanation for it. But I'll take it regardless.

Gonna work on Garuga next. Should be fun.

User Info: Biscuit__

Biscuit__
2 months ago#27
one-eared garuga or dual garuga?
:V

LonelyGaruga
2 months ago#28
Gonna do one-eared since it's a special variant with some small buffs.

LonelyGaruga
2 months ago#29
5+ hours of practice and I have yet to slay Garuga before it leaves its starting area. Time limit for that is about 5:10. I'm concerned it isn't possible to beat it within that time frame with LS, I haven't even been able to put it into the capture threshold. It feels kinda dumb to be taking so long on it, I can't tell if I'm just bad or Garuga genuinely does take that amount of time to kill. The only run I have to compare with is this Hammer run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KG6Pg_jO0

The set is suboptimal but idk how much time that loses. But it certainly seems like, based on this, most weapons wouldn't be able to beat Garuga in 5:10. GS seems like the only other weapon that could do it. I'm gonna keep trying for a while longer, but I might have to accept 6 minutes (possibly longer) as a reasonable clear time. Seems like a relatively bad matchup for LS compared to what I've been doing runs on up until now, Garuga gives fewer opportunities to capitalize on and is full of randomness.

User Info: Boldrin

Boldrin
2 months ago#30
LonelyGaruga posted...
5+ hours of practice and I have yet to slay Garuga before it leaves its starting area. Time limit for that is about 5:10. I'm concerned it isn't possible to beat it within that time frame with LS, I haven't even been able to put it into the capture threshold. It feels kinda dumb to be taking so long on it, I can't tell if I'm just bad or Garuga genuinely does take that amount of time to kill. The only run I have to compare with is this Hammer run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_KG6Pg_jO0

The set is suboptimal but idk how much time that loses. But it certainly seems like, based on this, most weapons wouldn't be able to beat Garuga in 5:10. GS seems like the only other weapon that could do it. I'm gonna keep trying for a while longer, but I might have to accept 6 minutes (possibly longer) as a reasonable clear time. Seems like a relatively bad matchup for LS compared to what I've been doing runs on up until now, Garuga gives fewer opportunities to capitalize on and is full of randomness.

I don't feel like you have to feel bad about it. Garuga has a big exploitable beak that takes a good deal of impact damage. Top that off with Hammer in MHFU is one of the best weapon types in the entire series' history. It's no wonder it does well against Garuga.

I don't feel there's a need to beat yourself up over just narrowly missing a time window that makes a big break in your time difference -- that's just how things are across all speed-runs of various games. Just practice it here and there from time to time and work on other speed-runs to avoid getting burnt out on this particular one.
Official "Debutante" of CMWABME
Regular streaming at www.twitch.tv/boldrin
(edited 2 months ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite
  3. Doing some MHFU speedruns