• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dead Space
  3. The Marker: 2001 Space Odyssey Connections? *MAJOR SPOILERS*

User Info: Schwah

Schwah
10 years ago#1

MAJOR SPOILERS!!!

Remember 2001 and 2010? Has anyone here read Arthur C. Clark's ending to this series (3001). The Markers in Dead Space are reminiscent of the Monoliths in Clark's series. It's been a long while, but if I remember correctly in Clark's novels Earth was essentially seeded by one of the alien monoliths, or at the very least the monolith was responsible for sparking or guiding man's evolution.

So in Dead Space Humans finds a Marker on Earth, which like the monolith is of alien origin. We make our own marker and plant it on another planet and it creates life in the form of the necromorphs and the hive mind. This leads me to believe that an unsaid piece of the story is that the original marker on Earth is wholly responsible for human existence.

Seem probable to be. Thoughts?

User Info: whoisryanmack

whoisryanmack
10 years ago#2
But if that was the case, why are we human? If the original Marker was exactly like the man-made one from the game, it should only have the ability to modify current life...dead life at that. Plus, it seems like you have to actually uncover the Marker and be in close proximity with it before the effects take place. Aegis 7 was fine until the planet was cracked, as was Earth presumably.

I don't think we have enough info on the DS world yet to know what the Marker does or where it came from. Yes, we do suspect that it was planted on Earth by an alien race...but to what end? Also, we don't even know the real purpose of the Marker itself. Maybe it does something besides create zombie races, that could just be a side effect.

Schwah
10 years ago#3

whoisryanmack posted...
But if that was the case, why are we human? If the original Marker was exactly like the man-made one from the game, it should only have the ability to modify current life

Maybe it wasn't exactly the same. Isn't the Earth marker blue? And hey, we're only "human" after all. Perhaps we made mistakes. lol. Or perhaps planet conditions factor into the mix, who knows?

And I'm not so sure about everything being fine until we "cracked the planet." The government already seemed to know what was going on with the planet. That's why they sent the military vessel to destroy the Mining vessel when they found out what went down. All the mining vessel did was disrupt what was already there and doing just fine on it's own beneath the surface..

whoisryanmack
10 years ago#4
We know everything must have been fine when the Marker was buried because Earth is not currently infested with necromorphs. At least, so far as I remember. So Aegis 7 should have been the same.

It just doesn't make sense that we're already the product of a Marker. If that were the case, we wouldn't change after being infected. We'd stay the same.

I do kind of wonder what happened to the original marker though. Seemed like they just glossed over that. This is why I think we'll need to wait for a sequel of some sort, there's too much left in the air about Unitology's plans and the government's previous role in the Marker situation.

Schwah
10 years ago#5

What I mean is this: perhaps when the aliens (presumably a species much more advanced than ourselves) planted their marker on Earth we were the intended result, or just A result.

Then we find the Earth marker, and being humans we say to ourselves, "**** the consequences, let's try to make one." We make one, we don't do it right, we put it on this planet and it all goes to hell.

whoisryanmack
10 years ago#6
I guess that's possible. I was just assuming the copy is an exact one, but maybe it isn't.

Still, if I were writing this story, I'd probably complicate it a little more than that with a sequel. IMO it would be kind of lame if it was all just a mistake. For one, that's too predictable, but two, kind of unlikely that we'd screw it up in just the perfect way to create a viral zombie race.

The weird thing though is that Unitology promises eternal life after death...which would definitely be true as a necromorph. So, that leads me to believe that both markers have had this same effect when exposed. I'm too unclear about the original uncovering story though. I know that anthropologist reported having seen the marker, but I don't know if they said what else happened with the original. Must have been something though, or else the government wouldn't have gone to the trouble of creating another.
  1. Boards
  2. Dead Space
  3. The Marker: 2001 Space Odyssey Connections? *MAJOR SPOILERS*
  • Topic Archived