• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden II
  3. OLB DS run MNM

User Info: gamingdutchman

gamingdutchman
8 months ago#1
After not playing for almost 7 years, reading some topics here got me motivated to do a DS only OLB MNM play through again, preferably with all ToV's.

Finished chapter 1, but it wasn't a beauty contest. I forgot how hard the game can punish you for disobeying certain rules and I really had to get used to the split second decision making again. Ended up with 46k essence total in Ch. 1. And dozens of deaths XD

IIRC, doing a single weapon run, there is at least one point in the game where you have to be careful because the game gives you a weapon by default, I believe the ES? I'm really rusty on a lot of things.

Anyway, will post my progress, also because this board needs to stay alive forever. :)
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you've always gotten

gamingdutchman
8 months ago#2
After 3 hours of trying to get past the first section of Ch. 2 (dogs) with the DS only, I came just 2,5k short of 40k after the FT fight. The dogs killed a few of the better essence runs.

It's funny how in my head these sections seemed a lot easier, until I replayed them again after a long time. I'm surprised how much is still in my fingers, but the real finesse is coming back very slowly.

Did the RoT fight and upgraded the DS to lvl 3 before the LotTG bridge fight.
If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you've always gotten
(edited 8 months ago)

User Info: kumarab

kumarab
8 months ago#3
Good luck and have fun! Did the DS, FT and Tonfa runs on MNM back in the day. Don't remember exactly but the DS run wasn't too bad except Bone Skeleton, Liz and Dagra Dai.

Oh and I totally get what you mean about the the fingers, ha ha :p You really start to question yourself, esp when you've crossed the 40 barrier. But it came back slowly and steadily. Not what it was 12 years ago perhaps, but still okay.
Ninja Gaiden/Soulsborne
https://www.youtube.com/user/kumarab123/featured

User Info: Massaca

Massaca
8 months ago#4
gamingdutchman posted...
It's funny how in my head these sections seemed a lot easier, until I replayed them again after a long time. I'm surprised how much is still in my fingers, but the real finesse is coming back very slowly.

I feel that. I know I wouldn't be able to play again with how my fingers are now. Even back then when I was near the end of playing it a ton, had the knowledge in the midst of battle but not the execution.

gamingdutchman posted...
IIRC, doing a single weapon run, there is at least one point in the game where you have to be careful because the game gives you a weapon by default, I believe the ES? I'm really rusty on a lot of things.

Scythe after Volf, TDS start of Ch.11 (not an issue here, of course) and BotA when killing Fiend Genshin in Ch.14.
"Kyuappa RaPaPa" to mahou no kotoba de hachamecha daikonran!
Zukizuki tokimeki ukiuki sukizuki gekiteki daikoufun!

gamingdutchman
8 months ago#5
kumarab posted...
Good luck and have fun! Did the DS, FT and Tonfa runs on MNM back in the day. Don't remember exactly but the DS run wasn't too bad except Bone Skeleton, Liz and Dagra Dai.

Oh and I totally get what you mean about the the fingers, ha ha :p You really start to question yourself, esp when you've crossed the 40 barrier. But it came back slowly and steadily. Not what it was 12 years ago perhaps, but still okay.

Yes, Dagrai Dai is going to be annoying for sure. And I just turned 40 this year... Maybe it is true what they say XD

Massaca posted...
I feel that. I know I wouldn't be able to play again with how my fingers are now. Even back then when I was near the end of playing it a ton, had the knowledge in the midst of battle but not the execution.

Scythe after Volf, TDS start of Ch.11 (not an issue here, of course) and BotA when killing Fiend Genshin in Ch.14.

Ah yes, thanks, now I remember. Well, after playing for 7-8 hours it's slowly getting better, but the dogs really put me in my place again and made me press too many buttons :P

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
8 months ago#6
Great stuff! The game does swap weapons for you with the ES, though as long as you don't make a kill with it you should be fine. Otherwise I'd recommend a hard reset. Almost fummeled my MM BotA run there. The game also swaps you to the TDS in Chapter 11 (should be a non-issue haha) and to the BotA during the Elizabete fight in Chapter 14.

> OLB
Any reason for allowing Ninpo? Or just to skip some of the more annoying fights?

> sections are easier in your head
The beauty of NGII imo. It's very easy to theorycraft a gameplan but while executing it so many variables can change that you're never really sure about the outcome.

> 40+
30 myself, already feeling the change haha.

> roadblocks
Gigadeath might be annoying as Gleaming Blade is a bit iffy against him from my experiences. Some ToVs will bore you to tears. Bone Dragon will probably require some Inferno setups to nuke him for 40% HP a pop unless you are fine whittling him down. Werewolves and Volf should be cake once your rust is gone.

Staircase will be a ton of fun with that weapon, I know I had!
The Chapter 11 Rasetsu gauntlet might pose a problem if you're not stacked up on Ninpo, or will require a ton of dodging around while waiting for them to kill the ninjas for you. If you're going for all-kills then the dog-fight later-on might also pose a hurdle. Zedonious2 will still probably require a ton of restarts if he wants to play ball or not. Same goes for Volf2 unless you don't mind spamming some Ninpo. Centaurs at the start of Chapter 13 could be a problem, though flying-swallow abuse could see you through, always hated those guys.
Liz can be looped if you're into that sort of thing. You can just arrow UT the worm and water dragon thankfully if you allow that.

The biggest problem of the run will, as always, be Dagra Dai. That guy was a pain in my bum on my OLB NN run, and even worse on my NUR.

Don't forget to use the ever stylish option-selects that the DS has! Absolutely love >XXXY, auto cancels into an OT if there's a delimb, otherwise does the running Y at the end. Stuff like that really makes it one of the most fun weapons around imo.
http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

gamingdutchman
8 months ago#7
I'm not restricting myself on items or Ninpo's, but only if I'm stuck or maybe on some ToV's. I used a Phoenix Ninpo on the last dogs at the start of CH. 2, simply because I'm getting back in and I don't really need to prove anything right now. Not using items is engraved in my soul, so still now I'm reluctant to use them. :P

I've beat all bosses DS only before and also did CH. 11 Rat OLB No ninpo DS. Also farmed all ToV's for Karma. The only random annoy-fest is going to be DD. But that's when I was still in my thirties haha. Thanks for the input.

And yes, (T)DS has always been my favourite weapon because of the versatility and speed.
(edited 8 months ago)

gamingdutchman
8 months ago#8
Finished Chapter 2, doing both Rat and Genshin DS only, which still feels rewarding :) Almost got killed because I forgot the IS ninjas stay alive after Rat dies.

Almost 4.2M Karma.
Let's farm some fiends! I'm still enjoying this game a lot.
Twelve years and still one of the best experiences out there.

User Info: Raeng

Raeng
8 months ago#9
Never was a karma guy myself, always prefered challenge runs. Didn't most Karma runs devolve in NGII into abusing the low damage of the Kusarigama's level1 UT final hit?

gamingdutchman posted...
Also farmed all ToV's for Karma.
Curious to hear your tactic on the ToV in Chapter 11. That one always gave me trouble, though mostly thanks to how dull it was.

gamingdutchman posted...
Twelve years and still one of the best experiences out there.
Absolutely! NGII is still top dog imo.

gamingdutchman posted...
CH. 11 Rat OLB No ninpo DS
Really curious about this one. I did it OLB No Ninpo but with the Tonfa and Lunar, what was your DS strategy? Felt that was the hardest fight by a mile with those restrictions. Though it does look cool killing Vazdah at the end with just a basic bar and no ninpo orbs beneath it. All worth it in the end I'd say!

gamingdutchman posted...
The only random annoy-fest is going to be DD
Considering you're allowing the bow and Ninpo you should be fine as long as you stock up. Just jump XXXXX-bow-Y canceled into Ninpo while he's doing his lightning. Fighting him headon though, never managed to do that no-damage due the weird tracking on his lightning. This was my best attempt:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og4iIxpOM18

http://www.stingermagazine.com - articles on the action genre's best.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC09UqeY80WzoWMnxRkL4Tkw - challenge runs.

gamingdutchman
8 months ago#10
Tbh, the specifics on that ToV are lost to me. There should be a thread at NGRealm about Karma Running. I presume it's still going to involve KG lvl. 1 UT's with windpath and that for a few hours lol. The worst part I think is the Chapter with the big fish, several 4 hour in-one-go segments. 13 hours one chapter. That's without the hours lost dying or retrying

Well, yes, doing a KR involves getting as much ET/UT/OT on a single enemy as possible. KG and also arrow UT. You can reduce it to exploiting, but I can assure you that some parts of the game are not too easy and also you need to be very on point with your timings and making sure not to despawn anything. I really had fun with it, not with the lengthy grind parts.

Some ToV's are no joke. I died one time in ToV3 while having 1.4 million, which is a lot. I never managed to get close to that number again, due to the random Werewolf jump insta kills. I tried for days. Eventually I settled for 'only' 0.4M, just to continue my run.
On many sections you have to balance score and actually not dying.

Ch 11 Rat, I didn't really had a strategy. Just kill the ninja and then dance around the Rats while turning the cam. Every now and then you can charge an UT. Or attack in their delay and know when to counter.
I remember trying it No UT, No Ninpo, OLB DS, but I never managed that.

Nice vid btw :)
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden II
  3. OLB DS run MNM
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A