• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden II
  3. Completed on Warrior on Xbone. Some thoughts...

User Info: R4LRetro

R4LRetro
1 year ago#1
Played through, had a blast at first, but slowly as the game goes on the quality just degrades so much. I've beaten NGB on Master Ninja and generally think it's a better game overall with better mechanics.

NG2 starts out pretty great, and gets really good up until Heart of Darkness. From there on it relies on some truly BS encounters (waves upon waves of missile spamming soldiers, dogs, the lava you have to ninja step on near the end has exploding jellies in it. You can barely f***ing see them.) that feel artificial and frankly, too drawn out. Small pathways and hallways feel like eternity when enemies constantly flood them. Some get too cramped, and fighting with the camera becomes a nightmare as you get pelted with IS from off-screen. Enemies are intense with their projectile spam. Using OTs are cool, but on higher difficulties they really hamper my progress. De-limbed enemies can easily grab you and take off a gigantic chunk of health.

Near the end of the game, it's literally walking forward through hallways, killing mobs and mobs of not fun enemies (Van Gelfs are incredibly unsatisfying to kill.) and fighting the same 4 greater fiends again. Even the graphics seem to get the backseat near the end, as the last few areas are garrish at best when compared to Chapter 1's Tokyo or even Heart Of Darkness' waterfall arena.

I think my biggest issue with this game is that it feels so disjointed at all times. I feel like I'm playing though levels instead of one cohesive journey. It can work this way, but I don't think it works well enough here. Where there are improvements in combat, there's back steps in other areas (No armlets? Water combat??? Severely crippled sense of exploration?) and no real sense of progression. Just feels very subpar which is a shame considering this is one of the best looking games in its class (in the first half anyway) and can be really fun to play at times.

It sounds like I hate this game, but I don't. It's sti loads better than NG3:RE. I guess coming from NGB I have too high of standards lol. All I know is when I play through NGB I can start it back up on the next difficulty, but NG2 I'm having second thoughts about going through on Mentor. I probably will at some point, but not sure I will enjoy it nearly as much as NGB.

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 year ago#2
Well, you’ve played through NGB at least four times so that experience time will always make you prefer it over something you played once.

I also only played this once though and I also much prefer Black. I did play the PS3 port through all the modes and did many of the missions. I do think the engine is fantastic and that it being quite different (yet still familiar) to the first game is actually a good thing. There are definitely some rough edges though. It’s come up many times over the years but a “Black” version of this game could have been perfect. That’s what Sigma 2 SHOULD have been but it too turned out completely different.

Even if there was a NGII Black some things wouldn’t change though, as they are just part of the game. Like..

I think my biggest issue with this game is that it feels so disjointed at all times. I feel like I'm playing though levels instead of one cohesive journey.

This is one of my favorite things about the first game. Some people don’t care, but it makes a big difference to me. It especially did back when I was first playing it. The interconnected world just made me feel more into it all.

User Info: R4LRetro

R4LRetro
1 year ago#3
Well, you’ve played through NGB at least four times so that experience time will always make you prefer it over something you played once.

I totally forgot to mention that I did play through once on Acolyte when the game first released, but this playthrough felt almost brand new. I think I tried Warrior after that but I was still a noob at the NG games and never got too far, so this playthrough felt pretty fresh, as I certainly did not remember some of the chapters. After beating NGB on MN a few years ago I wanted to play NG2 but my 360 was broken so I had no way to play it for a while, and I was NOT going to pick up Sigma 2...

Now I'm able to play it on Xbone but having second thoughts about Mentor and MN lol. I did see in a few threads here that unlike NGB, you have to be aggressive and abuse i-frames in your attacks, so maybe I just haven't dove deep enough into the weapons. I'll say now that I had fully upgraded weapons, but never once used the tonfas on this run. Didn't use the DC/TF either. Once Van Gelfs come into play I pretty much carry myself with 360>Y Lunar ETs until I get the KG and ES.

User Info: NeoGeoXSega

NeoGeoXSega
1 year ago#4
I feel the game becomes too easy for experienced players if they don't up the enemy count.

If you play through the game twice, you should know the easier ways to de-limb & use more powerful combos. You can absolutely shred through anything when you get a good idea on how to use everything.
I'm still using Glitches & downloading Saves! TRY & STOP ME GAMEFAQS!
http://i.minus.com/iB8tNWOJUBBtH.gif

User Info: Yuri_LowelI

Yuri_LowelI
1 year ago#5
ITs no way near as good as NGB then against most action games aren't. But its solid. You're right about the enemies. theres no finesse to them. Theyre just hectic and spam a lot.
http://k09.kn3.net/1256263BF.gif

User Info: MurphysGhost

MurphysGhost
11 months ago#6
R4LRetro posted...
Played through, had a blast at first, but slowly as the game goes on the quality just degrades so much. I've beaten NGB on Master Ninja and generally think it's a better game overall with better mechanics.

NGB is a better game owing to more polish in the level, enemy and encounter design, yes.

But in terms of actual combat mechanics NG2 sorta blows it out of the water, which is what makes all the shakier aspects so much of a shame.

And also why it *really* sucks that instead of making NGB2 and fixing some of that, they released a watered down, neutered ps3 port (NGS2).

Also... I don't mean to offend but if you've not even played Mentor yet I think some of your issues are just inexperience. But some of your other gripes are perfectly legit, no doubt.
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden II
  3. Completed on Warrior on Xbone. Some thoughts...
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A