• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden II
  3. Is this game designed to make Ryu more vulnerable than the first?

User Info: blazinpuertoroc

blazinpuertoroc
1 year ago#1
Been a decade since I played but I only rented it when it came out. Bought it yesterday so I can play on my one X and it's way more brutal than I remember. Especially after just playing Black on gamepass. It's really good and I can get through it just fine but I notice Ryu is just more vulnerable compared to the first? Seems like enemies can easily get hits in where is on the first if you're good enough you can finish most battles without getting hit. So far I cannot seem to finish any battle without some wounds. Is it safe to say they designed to make fights a little more 'cheap' because your health recovers after every fight? Anyone else notice this? Or are enemies just way more aggressive now? Or perhaps both?

User Info: GoukiAkujiki

GoukiAkujiki
1 year ago#2
Yes and no.

Yes there is way more stuff happening and coming at you. But there also is way more invincibility in Ryu’s moveset to exploit to your own benefit.

User Info: MurphysGhost

MurphysGhost
1 year ago#3
Just blocking and rolling is not as strong as it was in the first game.

As mentioned, staying on offense and abusing the many sources of i-frames is much more necessary in NG2. Also lots of movement to keep yourself from getting surrounded and locked down.

Blocking and dodging and windpath etc. are still very important but this game is absolutely designed to reward more aggressive play and punish people who try to play it too much like NGB.

Also... whether or not it's cheap I dunno but yes, the game probably expects you to take some chip damage. It's less of a violent ballet than NGB and more of a no holds barred bloodbath.

But the more you adapt to it, you'll find it less cheap / frustrating. NG2 absolutely rewards those who put in the time and suffer through the learning curve.
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson

blazinpuertoroc
1 year ago#4
MurphysGhost posted...
Just blocking and rolling is not as strong as it was in the first game.

As mentioned, staying on offense and abusing the many sources of i-frames is much more necessary in NG2. Also lots of movement to keep yourself from getting surrounded and locked down.

Blocking and dodging and windpath etc. are still very important but this game is absolutely designed to reward more aggressive play and punish people who try to play it too much like NGB.

Also... whether or not it's cheap I dunno but yes, the game probably expects you to take some chip damage. It's less of a violent ballet than NGB and more of a no holds barred bloodbath.

But the more you adapt to it, you'll find it less cheap / frustrating. NG2 absolutely rewards those who put in the time and suffer through the learning curve.

Yeah, the game is still an absolute blast but it's crazy how different fights feel playing both games back to back.

MurphysGhost
1 year ago#5
Yea they're very different beasts.
"The act of treachery is an art, but the traitor himself is a piece of ****." - Mike Tyson

blazinpuertoroc
1 year ago#6
Played Black after and damn the regular fights felt soooooooo easy but the bosses require more skill. The boss fights in 2 feel like luck and playing cheap. I literally beat that water dragon just by mashing the attack button really fast after dying 3 times in a row trying to dodge his attacks. I was like huh???

User Info: Massaca

Massaca
1 year ago#7
Water Dragon is a boss I never got around to learning. Only ever fought it staying on the platform and using Bow UTs.
Ready to die? A Compulsory Happiness Dictatorship. ''Alrighty~ Come on everyone, you should only be full of happiness!''
Uh, Gardevoir? http://imgur.com/bANy38Z

blazinpuertoroc
1 year ago#8
Does this game have adaptive difficulty? Died a few times against a group of enemies in one area and suddenly less showed up and I can no longer access the test of valor in it. Wtf?

MurphysGhost
1 year ago#9
No but in certain instances enemies can be despawned. I know specifically in Chapter 2 that can happen if you go too far up the hill before killing enough enemies to get the Rod of Trials.

Wasn't aware of it being an issue with any of the actual ToVs... I'd suspect maybe you've got a spawned enemy stuck somewhere. A reload should fix it if you can't find them.

For bosses I think Gigadeath, Water Dragon and Dagra Dai are the main offenders in shaky design. Like them or not the rest are pretty much on the level.
  1. Boards
  2. Ninja Gaiden II
  3. Is this game designed to make Ryu more vulnerable than the first?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A