• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Backbreaker
  3. I want an honest opinion out of you guys.

User Info: paulzeplayer

paulzeplayer
9 years ago#1
No fanboys or anti-fanboys.

I have had multiple customers coming back to my store asking for refunds because of how bad the game is. Is it really that bad?
Madden Sim League:
http://z10.invisionfree.com/PrimetimeSimLeague/index.php?act=idx

User Info: SmallSatsuma

SmallSatsuma
9 years ago#2
I think Backbreaker is a game for football purists. You've got to really appreciate the fundamentals of the sport (weight, momentum, balance, etc) to enjoy Backbreaker. If all you want to do is be a gunslinger, then stick with Madden.

From my point of view Backbreaker deserves a lot of credit for being a unique game. No-one has ever released anything like it before. Natural motion have done brilliantly with the animation and physics. Most of the player movements (especially the tackles) are the most realistic I've ever seen in a video game. It can be quite incredible to watch and there are moments that make me shout out in amazement, just like when I'm watching real football.

However, the game also has problems.

- The replay system is very limited.
- The AI is sometimes awful.
- Just trying to complete a pass can be a challenge.
- The camera angle keeps you close to the action but it also makes it difficult to notice what's going on.

However, Natural motion are working on a major patch to the game in response to people's complaints. A lot of buyers (myself included) recognise that Backbreaker has great potential, it just needs tweaking.

I may have Alzheimer's, but at least I don't have Alzheimer's.

User Info: king_madden

king_madden
9 years ago#3
while I dont think the game is just 100% horrible, it has potential, but I do believe it is still bad. I think somewhat of the opposite of the above poster, I think this is more of a football game for the casual fan not exactly the purist. When it boils down to it, the game isnt much outside of the tackling and "some" of the interactions as far as momentum and weight and all that goes. At time that can be neat, and at times you will wonder why 2 of your players ran into each other and collapsed. Thats why I say more of the casual fan, because they can say oh wow that looks cool or that hit looked neat, but getting down to the games play selection, AI, penalties, replay, camera, it leaves a lot to be desired in those areas. Can it be fixed? im pretty sure it could, will the game work keeping what they have now and making minor improvements? i doubt it.

User Info: RedHawk4

RedHawk4
9 years ago#4
I'm not surprised that people are returning it, because the game has a steep learning curve, is radically different from past games, and lacks a lot of depth in areas such as features and playbooks. However, there is a lot of fun to be had if you stick with it and learn the game. The problem is, a lot of people aren't willing to do that simply because it doesn't say "Madden" on the cover. Not trying to be a BB fanboy, because I'm not really one any more, but I believe it's the truth.

User Info: ccjj

ccjj
9 years ago#5
It does have a very steep learning curve. The frustration can be overwhelming. Sometimes you get picked everytime you throw the ball. I once got picked 13 times in one game. Once you come through it you can have some amazing moments and alot of fun.

If you can overcome the learing curve then there are still several major hurdles. Interceptions, getting tackled by your blockers and going limp after contact, bad AI decisions......basically mentioned above.

People have to ge though/accept all this before they can enjoy this game and thats why not many people do. I have mixed feeling and am hoping the patch will fix the majority of these problems(not holding my breath though!)

Having said that , I own this game and I will not return and will continue to play it even if the patch fixes nothing. I enjoy it alot and it will be the only football game I buy this year.

User Info: theGlegend

theGlegend
9 years ago#6
first off, unless youre looking for an alternative madden exp, with mad plays ad audibles... cut scenes between plays/ 'environment' on the sidelines and realism simulation backbreaker is not it..

if you fell in love with the physics in gta4 and red dead, or the same deal with that stupid star wars game.. this is it. it is true, no hit happens twice. the physics are unbelievably awesome because some of the hits make you wanna cringe..

there is no injuries, theres no trading or drafting... not too many plays and the customization is cool, and tricky at first but give it a night and you'd learn it. its only replay value is the realism of knocking the s out of each other.

the bugs? theres a lot.. last night i got a punt return, ran it a couple yards and got tackled.. suddenly the other team has the ball 1st and 10...?.... it happend like 3 times in 4 games. the fumbles are simply incomplete passes and flags are thrown for roughing the kicker or passer when he is not even touched, or its a legit sack. pass interferance is almost never called when it should be and i wish they added a play challenge.

the physics and team editor is prolly the thing that was focused on most during the development so its got a long way to go. you got the demo? pretty much the game.. and dont forget tackle alleu. its addictive. unless youre an inside out football diehard... its a no go but if you just wanna knock the s outta somebody and see the quarterback get flipped over a guards shoulder and land on his neck and fumble the ball? then get backbreaker. 7/10
--..::PSN::..-- Dead_Candidate
myspace.com/madmanpresents

User Info: BabaBzaa

BabaBzaa
9 years ago#7
The physics also allow for good football mechanics that Madden either has not been able to produce or refuses to produce like consecutive hit tackling, viable run blocking most of the time. Really, the run blocking can be absolutely amazing. Elevated bullet passes.

I would compare this to Skate but with more glitches to be worked out. It puts a lot more pressure on you as the user to be responsible for the play. It is a lot harder to throw the ball because you don't get as much time to get the bal out, sometimes you WILL be sacked, and you have to find a target and do a good throw to him really quick. However, that's real football. Madden kind of nurtures the player in that regard because vacuum blocking gives the player all the time he wants to make his usual shotgun pass.and in the event someone gets through, you see it coming a mile away. There are some grievances with the camera when you're the defense trying to make the interception, but other than that, it's solid.

Running game is impeccable. There's no exception. In any football game I've played, a good running play has never felt so satisfying. When you truck somebody, it's no pre-planned stat animation. It's purely speed, power, and momentum. The physics let you do some crazily awesome stuff. Like in one instance I did a stiff arm, but right as my hand touched the defender, I slowed down and juked. That motion cfaused some pseudo judo like physic where I actually tossed the defender to the side! Everything you pull off in Backbreaker, every spin, juke and truck is extremely satisfying.

The real problem is it takes a whole other skill set than those used to playing Madden. There's some who didn't like the plays or what ever but for the most part it's because of comparisons to Madden. People bought the game wanting Madden with Super Tackles, found out it's a whole new game to play entirely, and said "I can't play this" and rushed it back to the store. I guarantee there are a lot of people who gave up on it when they saw the third-person camera.
Warioware D.I.Y. FC: 3524-4572-6169
If bondage became popular, life would be very interesting and full of "Mmph".

SmallSatsuma
8 years ago#8
I certainly don't think I could ever go back to Madden now.

After seeing all the unscripted interactions between players, proper run blocking, consecutive hit tackling, etc in Backbreaker there's no way I could tolerate seeing the canned animations rear their ugly head in Madden once more

User Info: Sam_Bradford14

Sam_Bradford14
8 years ago#9

I certainly don't think I could ever go back to Madden now.

After seeing all the unscripted interactions between players, proper run blocking, consecutive hit tackling, etc in Backbreaker there's no way I could tolerate seeing the canned animations rear their ugly head in Madden once more

See, i feel different. IDC about the animations aslong as its a gang tackle and the dude gets tackled. Bad play selection, no injury, no fatigue, AI is prob the worst in any sports game, and in order to see all those pretty hits you need replays.
Sammy B- Future NFL MVP.

SmallSatsuma
8 years ago#10
Well I don't care about injuries at all. No game ever gets those right.
  1. Boards
  2. Backbreaker
  3. I want an honest opinion out of you guys.
  • Topic Archived