• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Rock Band
  3. Question about multi-tap, USB hubs, and GH controllers...

User Info: DestroyerX1

DestroyerX1
12 years ago#1
Alright, so .. I've had Rock Band for a while already, and I wanna start playing with my brothers.

I have two Guitar Hero controllers that I'd like to use.

Now, I read somewhere that any USB Mic works with the game, and if so, could anyone on here recommend a decent one?

Lastly, the drum set ... is this a USB or a standard controller thingy?

I wanna make sure that everything will run smoothly so that we don't have to make a run to Best Buy or Gamestop.

Thanks! And, sorry if this has been asked many, many times.

User Info: godM0d3

godM0d3
12 years ago#2
with two GH controllers, you will need: a multi-tap with the guitars and a controller plugged in, the drums will plug in USB, I can't recommend a mic because I don't have the game.
Reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points is it?

DestroyerX1
12 years ago#3
Alright, thank you. :D

User Info: brubie

brubie
12 years ago#4
You can't just plug in a USB mic and have someone sing along?
It actually requires a controller?

User Info: godM0d3

godM0d3
12 years ago#5
yes, you have to be able to select something, I don't remember what it was. I was playing on 360 so you had to select your character.
Reading comprehension isn't one of your strong points is it?

User Info: nklslinde21

nklslinde21
12 years ago#6
but on the ps2, u can't choose characters, so all u do is select difficulty and that's it

DestroyerX1
12 years ago#7
The way I figure .. I normally use my GH guitar to navigate through menu's anyway ...

So, USB Mic and Drums would be filled .. and the 2 controller slots would be filled with GH controllers.

In theory, it sounds pretty awesome.

I'll let you all know how it goes!

User Info: benelfreako

benelfreako
12 years ago#8
You will need a multi-tap. The singer needs to hit "X" on a standard controller in order to join the band. There's no way around it. I have the exact same setup, with the drumset in the mail somewhere. I use a Logitech USB mic, works like a charm, cost me 20$:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-97855021502-Playstation-USB-Microphone/dp/B0001H9L3O

benelfreako
12 years ago#9
I should add that I use the MadCatz multi-tap, which actually works fine if you can beleive it. I remember it was quite cheaper than the Sony version when I got it, but that's years ago.

If you plan on using extensions (longer cords), here's a few things you should consider. You cannot use an extension between the multi-tap and the Playstation2 unit. You must connect the multi-tap straight in the PS2, and connect your extensions in the multi-tap to the guitars. That's unfortunate since it doubles the amount of wires.

As for USB 2, the maximum distance is 16 feet. Now your stuff will probably work beyond that limit, but I'd stick to the standards. That being said, if you use an active (powered from the wall) USB hub, you can double that distance. I run a 16 feet long cord from the hub to the PS2, bringing the hub conveniently close to the drumset and microphone for a nice, clean setup.

Whatever you do, don't buy cables in a store. Ebay has 10 feet USB extensions for 4$, and my PS2 extensions cost me 8$ each. Grand total of 20$. In store that's about 40$ for the USB, and 20$ - 25$ for the PS2 extensions (if you can find them that is).

benelfreako
12 years ago#10
Forgot one detail. I use a super cheap PS2 wireless controller in slot2 of the console for the singer. Doesn't create any conflict and it keeps things clean.
  1. Boards
  2. Rock Band
  3. Question about multi-tap, USB hubs, and GH controllers...
  • Topic Archived

Need More Help?

1. Guides and Walkthroughs 2 Guides / Maps
  2. GameFAQs Q&A 23 Questions (23 Answered)

GameFAQs Q&A