• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Speed Racer
  3. Is the the closest DS game to a F-Zero/Wipeout style game?

User Info: cubegod69er

cubegod69er
11 years ago#1
Is the the closest DS game to a F-Zero/Wipeout style game? I watched some gameplay videos on youtube, and it does look pretty damn impressive for a DS game.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=70iYDDZp55U

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X2HWtu6HDIE

User Info: ProtomanXRacer

ProtomanXRacer
11 years ago#2
It's pretty close, and very enjoyable. So please buy it instead of downloading. It's worth supporting it.

cubegod69er
11 years ago#3
I'd never download a DS game.... I'll probably pick it up at some point.

User Info: ixnay

ixnay
11 years ago#4
Definitely worth the buy. Nice manual.

cubegod69er
11 years ago#5
anyone else have an opinion on whethere this as close as the DS gets to a F-Zero/Wipeout type of game? Or are there others that I'm not aware of?

User Info: grans

grans
11 years ago#6
This is pretty close to F-zero. There's speed to match the F-zero series. There's amazing tracks with loops, corkscrews, halfpipes, and any other coaster-style track you can imagine. The tracks are set on earth, so there's not any sort of space-themed tracks (as far as I know. I haven't unlocked everything)

The difference between this and F-Zero would be the inclusion of simple car combat sequences. When you get close to another car, it'll show a B button icon. Push the B button and you'll enter a scenario with a horizontal bar and a button you need to press. The object is to press the indicate button as close to the middle as possible. The other car participates in this as well. Whoever's button is closer to the middle wins the combat and will send the competitor car spinning out of control and slows them down.

Otherwise, there's also a VERY fun stunt element here. The tracks have jumps and unbordered parts where you can fly your car into the air and perform tricks using the D-pad. It's very fun and controls well. Performing special tricks and of course doing well in general gives you more fans. Having more fans unlocks more extras.

In many ways. the game is how F-Zero SHOULD be (heresy I know). F-zero is a great game series that is hard to beat. This game stays true to its gameplay, while adding fun and welcome additions to the classic formula. I wouldn't hesitate to pick it up if you are a fan of F-zero. The multiplayer is the only disappointment. With online wireless, this could have given Mario Kart DS serious competition. It's currently the second best DS racer (Mario Kart being the first).
Gran the Man

User Info: ixnay

ixnay
11 years ago#7
This is the closest there is on the DS, yes.
  1. Boards
  2. Speed Racer
  3. Is the the closest DS game to a F-Zero/Wipeout style game?
  • Topic Archived