• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
  3. Unique character traits in the SFC version?

User Info: Livingfossil

Livingfossil
5 years ago#1
I've heard rumors that most human PCs have some kind of innate spell or status resistance, but I've never been able to verify them myself. Would anyone more familiar with either version of the game happen to know?

A few examples of what I've heard is that the Hero has a 30% Zap resistance, Milly is immune to all forms of confusion, Amos takes only 60% damage the woosh family and related skills, etc.

User Info: KuuzokuOuGilder

KuuzokuOuGilder
5 years ago#2
With regard to the DS version: the various Japanese game data related wikis and sites out there indicate that there are no character unique resistances for any of the human party members (Whereas all recruitable monsters (including Lizzie and Goober) in this version, and all monsters barring Lizzie and Goober in the SFC version, simply have the same resistances that they would when they're encountered as generic enemies); barring the Hero and Ashlynn being immune to Bazoom, and Carver, Milly and Nevan being slightly resistant to it.

Resistances to any other status effects are global among human characters, and are undocumented anywhere as far as I'm aware at this point. (though I do recall reading once that human characters now all appear to have moderate resistance to Defense lowering abilities, which is notable because no human had any such resistance in the SFC version; though that was a long time ago and I haven't done enough personal testing to confirm as to whether that claim was accurate or not)

Human characters do not have any resistance to any damaging elements whatsoever in the DS version however; and I can affirm that this is absolutely the case both through my own personal testing, and through various independent Japanese sites that have documented this change between the versions as well.

In the SFC version, the unique party member (e.g. all Humans and Lizzie/Goober) resistances are as follows: (Fr = Frizz, Si = Sizz, Ba = Bang, Cr = Crack, Wo = Woosh, Za = Zap, Bl = Blind, Sl = Sleep, De = Death, Po = Poof, DM = Drain Magic, Si = Silence (Fizzle), Fd = Fuddle, Df = Defense Down, Ps = Poison, St = Stun, BD = Ban Dance, Fi = Fire, Ic = Ice, Ph = Physical, Pa = Paralysis, Tr = Troop)

Name--------Fr Si Ba Cr Wo Za Bl Sl De Po DM Si Fd Df Ps St BD Fi Ic Ph Pa Tr
Hero--------0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3
Carver------0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 1, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3
Milly-------0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 1, 1, 2, 3, 0, 2, 2, 3, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3
Nevan-------0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 1, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3
Ashlynn-----1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 3, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3
Terry-------0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3
Amos--------0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3
Goober------0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 3, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3
Lizzie------0, 0, 0, 0, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 0, 1, 2, 2, 0, 2, 2, 2, 0, 0, 0, 2, 3

Where 0 = No resistance, 1 = slight resistance, 2 = moderate resistance, and 3 = total resistance. Resistance itself in the SFC version is somewhat complicated to explain, so I'll leave that for another post later on if you'd like further information on the subject.

For now, this is a link to a translation of a very detailed Japanese Bestiary that I did a while back. The data in it pertains to the DS version, but the outline of how resistance works beginning on page 2 of the section that I created before the bestiary itself pertains to the SFC version, since I was unaware how that functions had been altered between the original and the remake when I created it. Hopefully this will give you a good start in understanding how resistance works until I'm able to put together a more thorough explanation if you end up wanting one: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By71FF2itqqldGoyUUl1UmNBVHM/edit?pli=1

Hope all of this was useful in some way.

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
5 years ago#3
Wow Gilder, you've done quite a bit of work since the last time I saw your google doc. Very nice, very nice indeed.
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (85%), DQ4 DS (2%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (95.5%), DQ7 3DS (5%), FF4 DS (40%)
Solution for Gamers by Gamers http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
5 years ago#4
This should be saved.
FAQ status - DW3 GBC (85%), DQ4 DS (2%), DQ5 DS (20%), DQ6 DS (95.5%), DQ7 3DS (5%), FF4 DS (40%)
Solution for Gamers by Gamers http://save-nintendo-wifi.com/
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation
  3. Unique character traits in the SFC version?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A