• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: zherot

zherot
5 years ago#1
I want to play this game but i came from vi and i really dont want to continue with the same crappy graphics again, i want to feel a change, but, also i know that this version is newer so i want to ask.

I heard that they introduced a new girl to marry that is all the new things in the game?, is just that girl worth the playthrough?

Also i know that this game dosent have a class system like in DQ7 or 6 or anything like 8 or 9 had, so where is the fun in that, its a serious question, because i think a DQ game without that will kind of ruin the gameplay for me... but i dont know this game so that is why i am asking.

User Info: Sk8erpunq

Sk8erpunq
5 years ago#2
I don't know much about the PS2 version beside the fact, that it was released only in Japanese.
If you're okay with that, I hope someone else can answer your questions.
And what does the code say...?

User Info: behindtheword

behindtheword
5 years ago#3
zherot posted...
I want to play this game but i came from vi and i really dont want to continue with the same crappy graphics again, i want to feel a change, but, also i know that this version is newer so i want to ask.

Huh, so you think the graphics are crappy huh? Well, they've seen slow improvement going from IV DS to VI DS, so V is somewhere in between. One nice bonus is DQV has fog effects, something neither of the other two do.

DQV PS2 will look somewhat different. Think of Dragon Warrior/Quest VII on the PSX and update its graphics to HD, change all sprites to 3D models, and give the camera a slight tilt. It actually looks quite good, but then opinions on what constitutes good graphics varies from person to person. Myself, I think DQ7 PSX looks fantastic, and I love 2D artwork, so games like Seiken Densetsu 3 and Legend of Mana are on my list of pinnacle titles for graphics. I also love some 3D graphics, but again, graphics are 100% based on the person, so there's no guarantee you'll find DQV PS2 to be much better than the DS releases. Yet it will look noticeably different.

Edit (oops): I forgot the PS2 version also has 4x party members. However, the DS is noticeably easier.

I heard that they introduced a new girl to marry that is all the new things in the game?, is just that girl worth the playthrough?

That depends. If you've played Dragon Quest V for the Super Famicom, then yes, because she offers a very different personality and slightly altered playstyle to the other two wife choices (she's also better for killing Metal slimes, and therefor hunting down Metal Slime types for recruitment).

If this is your first time playing, then no, not really. It all depends on what you want to take from the story. Opinions vary greatly on whether Dragon Quest games even have story, and this includes V as much as VII as much as IX, as much as the first game. So how you'll feel about the wives will differ.

I should note that only the DS version has the 3rd Wife.

I forget if DQV PS2 has party chat, or if it's as expansive as the DS version, but I do believe there is some. This is the meat of the characters within the party, especially within the family.

Then again, I don't even know if the DQV PS2 translation project is 100% complete.

Also i know that this game dosent have a class system like in DQ7 or 6 or anything like 8 or 9 had, so where is the fun in that, its a serious question, because i think a DQ game without that will kind of ruin the gameplay for me... but i dont know this game so that is why i am asking.

Dragon Quest V, unlike 6 and 7, is based on three things. One, it's a Dragon Quest, so you know what to expect, and until DQ9, half of all DQ's had "class systems" the other have did not, and if you already like how traditional DQ's like DQIV play you'll be at home with either version of DQV. Two, the story is a gut wrenching story if you really feel like reading into all the discussion and what goes on. Finally, three, the side aspects of the game, both in the Monster Recruitment and in the Sugoroku board games. Final Fantasy has class systems in only 6 games, including spinoffs. The rest use fixed classes. Yet people find them fun as well. So as with the above, it depends on what you're looking for in a game, but personally I like DQV.

If you prefer class systems, and that's a make/break aspect, chances are you will find DQV as fun as you did DQIV. This all depends on your personal experience with Dragon Quest IV.
I prefer my Jedi as wise warriors and mystical wielders of the energies that created the universe as opposed to Light Saber performance artists.

User Info: zherot

zherot
5 years ago#4
Thanks for the info, i never played IV , i only played all the dragon quest with a class system 6-9 (i know 8 has no class system but the fact that let you customize your characters counts), i know that 3 has if i remember correctly but it turned me off that the main character was stuck to the hero class.

Also the stupid wiki spoiled me that the hero is not even the main character of the game, i am kind of glad to know before playing it and kind of mad that they dont advice of BIG spoilers in those things... so i searched more about this because i alredy knew and it turns that you are not the "hero" its your son, but i dont know if that makes your main character just a pu**y that is useless and not appealing, with only the cool things to the "true hero" and you are just a secondary guy... i dont know, playing a game and not being the main character seems kind of disappointing...

User Info: nfrazee28

nfrazee28
5 years ago#5
That story aspect that you've now had spoiled is one we've debated before on these forums. I love this game beyond all others; it's my favourite DQ and my favourite video game of all time. There, I've said it.

That said, yeah, the son is actually the "Legendary Hero", and I find this strange. Well, to spoil things just a tiny bit further, and in so doing actually unspoil what you're fearful of, the son is actually almost completely optional to use. The main character is still the most powerful and well-balanced character of them all, and is still who the quest will be based around from start to finish. Yes, the son is the one who can equip the Zenithian Equipment. Beyond that, the overall role of the "Legendary Hero" has been diminished in this one from what it meant in other DQ games as to be almost insignificant. That's what we've debated before: I actually don't like that aspect of the story, and think somehow it needed to be tweaked so that the "Legendary Hero" has a more necessary role, others on these boards are fine with it.

And even with this little bit of writing that I question, this game is STILL at the top of my heap. There's just something about the rest of the story, the monster recruitment system, the lack of other things convoluting it the way some other DQ games have. I can't explain it adequately, but I love this game beyond all others. For me within the series, it goes 5, 3, 9, the rest.
Currently wasting a bunch of time maxing the score counter in NSMBWii. Right now it's 23,271,220.

User Info: King_Zenith

King_Zenith
5 years ago#6
I understand your misgivings about not having a class system, but I think the other elements of this game really make up for it.

I really love the class system of DQ6 and DQ7, but I am totally fine with this game not having it. There is enough other stuff to focus on, and the nature of your somewhat fluid party does not lend itself well to a class system.

Essentially, as you progress through this game you will have some party members come and go, a bit more regularly than it occurs in other games. Also, you are continuously refining your party line-up with new stronger monsters that you recruit as you progress. A class system would interfere with the monster recruitment system a bit since you might be reluctant to bench some early monsters that you have invested a lot of class grinding into.

As for the story-line, with the hero twist... I am very sorry to hear that got spoiled for you. This game does still have its surprises though and following through the plot for the first time is a treat that many of us wish we could repeat. It's a great story, probably the best of the series. The main character that you play as is by no means a "pu**y" and you will find that he is actually incredibly awesome in terms of all the he must endure on his life-long quest.

As for the PS2 version versus DS version, there are very few things added in the DS version:

1) New wife choice
2) Two new monsters to recruit (Archdemon and Jailcat)

There might be a couple of other minor things as well, but that's basically it. Otherwise, the PS2 version is superior in every way. The graphics are amazing and the musical score is top notch. There IS party chat and is 100% translated. The project is complete and was the result of a lot of hard work.

I can set you up with a pre-patched version of the game if you like. PM me for details if you want to pursue that option.

I hope you choose to play this game. I am sure you will not regret it.
  • Topic Archived