• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 2
  3. Dunia Engine versus CryEngine 2.

User Info: 1337toothbrush

1337toothbrush
12 years ago#1
I got Far Cry 2 a few days ago and it's great fun. However, I can't believe people think that this game has a better engine than Crysis (or Crysis Warhead). I'm playing Far Cry 2 with maxed settings and I have played Crysis with very high settings. I'd say that Crysis on high looks better than Far Cry 2 maxed. Dunia engine is inferior in pretty much every way, I'll go by section.

Visuals

Each object in Crysis has a much higher polygon count than objects in Far Cry 2. Just pay attention to the little details and you'll see that Crytek modelled even the little details with polygons. Texture quality in Crysis is much higher and CryEngine 2 employs many neat texture enhancing tricks that look stunning and put even more detail into objects. For lighting, Crysis leads with higher precision HDR and overall better quality. Particle effects are more detailed in Crysis and make use of many more particles. Overall, Crysis just has more detail, from things like real full body awareness to a much more lively underwater world to special texture and lighting effects outright missing from Far Cry 2.

Physics

Again Crysis takes the lead. I was disappointed in Far Cry 2 for this. I remember hearing about destructibility that would be close to Crysis. What do I get? Cheap laughable effects. You can break trees like in Crysis? Well actually you can only shoot or burn the twigs off the top of the trees. You can break apart buildings? Well actually it's predetermined locations where if you set off an explosion there, it'll play a silly little animation. The vehicles are like toys and the only way they can get damaged is with smoke coming from under the hood. How about shooting out tires or anything like that? Nope. Running over people with a car produces ridiculous results. Why do the rag dolls slide like they've jumped into a tub of super butter a few seconds ago? Objects that can be moved or destroyed is inconsistent. Some boxes you can break or move, others you can't. For some reason certain pieces of wood can't be burned but only shot or hit with a machete to break.

Sound

Sound quality is far superior in Crysis. I'm not sure if it's just the sound effects or the sound engine but Crysis produces far clearer sound that feels really powerful. On that note, music and sound effects in Crysis are vastly superior to that in Far Cry 2, regardless of why it is that way. The only thing interesting for sound in Far Cry 2 is the sound of an enemy starting up a car to run you over.

Conclusion

I think it's a thing of jealousy, both from console gamers and people whose computer hardware can't handle Crysis. Sure Far Cry 2 runs on higher settings with lower level hardware but that is because Far Cry 2 doesn't do as much as Crysis. Dunia engine is not more efficient than CryEngine 2, it just does less, a hell of a lot less. As for the games themselves, Far Cry 2 and Crysis are both great. Personally, I prefer Crysis more. I think the only thing Far Cry 2 has over Crysis is exploration and that's mostly because you're rewarded with unlockables if you explore in Far Cry 2.
---
---

User Info: rocket_master

rocket_master
12 years ago#2
I really disagree about the sound being superior in CryEngine 2. That's the only game where I've ever had sound lag in my entire life. Even if there's high FPS (for Crysis) there's still sound lag. So for me Crysis has some of the worst sound ever in any video game.

1337toothbrush
12 years ago#3
Sound lag? Never experienced that.
---
---

User Info: 856891

12 years ago#4
far cry 2 is typical ubisoft game that I have become numb to. just like all their other games this year this one is no exception its over hyped just like all the other ones and typical ubisoft promises more than they deliever as usual. my man problem is the mouse senseativiy I have it maxed and it still feels like I have to drag my mouse all across texas to aim the damn thing aiming is pretty much impossible on the pc version as far as I am concerned I'm not a noob either I have been playing pc games for 10 years and have never seen such poor mouse support. they told us we would have destructable enviroments what a joke the only damn thing that I got to blow up was vehicles and watch the fare thats about it really. some of the weapons maybe its just me but they look very ''dull'' like theres a lack of detail or something just isnt right with them. as for the dunia engine compared to the cryengine 2 theres no comparsion cryengine 2 totally destroys the dunia engine. again I have to say the main thing that killed this game for me is the mouse support it feels like they just put some **** emulation software in this game for the mouse I mean damn I CANT EVEN AIM its so slow. just like BIAHH,AC,RB6V2 this one is same thing ubisoft promises alot but delievers only 1/4 to 1/2. I cant believe I bought this ****

User Info: RautaPalli

RautaPalli
12 years ago#5
I actually like Dunia better so far, yeah it doesnt look as good, but it's not bloatware either like Cryengine2.

1337toothbrush
12 years ago#6
I actually like Dunia better so far, yeah it doesnt look as good, but it's not bloatware either like Cryengine2.

Abusing terms aren't we? Crysis is not bloatware. It uses a lot of resources, yes, but it puts it to good use.
---
---

User Info: swatgod

swatgod
12 years ago#7
as i tell all my friends who have me build their computers for them with cheat hardware, you get what you pay for in terms of hardware. you get the cheatest stuff and expect miracles, just like everyone things they can get the best audio or video with onboard chips, sorry people but if you can't shell out the cash for the best hardware, do not expect much from it.

as far as laggy audio, unless you got a beefy sound card you are bound to have issues somewhere, and games is where it shows big time. the motherboard can only do so much as far as transfering data around and unless you got all dedicated boards, any onboard chip is going to greatly take away from that bandwidth and slow you down somewhere along the way.

and ps, never experienced lag once so ever in any way with crysis, but than again its for a few of the reasons of which i shelled out for you.

User Info: Gitarooman

Gitarooman
12 years ago#8
I think Cryengine 2 is much better, I actually thoughr Cryengine 2 was very unoptimized until I play this game, Farcry 2 only runs a bit than crysis on my PC in very high setting but Crysis looks way better.

User Info: thyco1241

thyco1241
12 years ago#9
You cant compare the engines as they are for 2 completely different types of first person shooters.

If you want something to compare DUNIA too...compare it with Stalker and Boiling Points X-RAY engine as those engines are made to cater for extremely huge enviroments. CryEngine on the other hand is terrible for land masses of that size and is best for the typical strain of FPS....Linear but with a few alternate ways to go.

the same goes with trying top compare FarCry2 against Cyrsis or even the original Far Cry. Two completely different games that have only their genre in common.

User Info: Shinra1003

Shinra1003
12 years ago#10
Dunia is optimized way better than the Cry Engine.
PSN: Shinra1003
  1. Boards
  2. Far Cry 2
  3. Dunia Engine versus CryEngine 2.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A