• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mirror's Edge
  3. Just got a PS3 and this is my first game.
Rurouni_KJS 8 years ago#1
Have wanted to play this for years but the budget never quite allowed for it until now.

Initial impressions:
— Happy that the motion sickness I'd feared might occur hasn't.
— Have unhappily encountered two crashes already (one where the gameplay screen went totally black, even when I tried going back to the menu screens; the other a good-old-fashioned freeze-up).
— Not sure how much I like the extreme trial-and-error gameplay. Kinda wish there was more opportunity for stealth.
— Man, do I dislike the weird cutscene art style.
— The parkour is surprisingly realistic. Faith isn't doing a lot of stuff that real high-level free runners couldn't.
— Still very early in the learning curve, but I'm surprised how easy the basic running has become already. Have yet to do my first disarm.

Liking this game quite a bit. Will be posting more as I go along until I finish the game or I'm just finished playing it.
Rurouni KJS: here to help (Mark 10:44-45).
--Those who fail to read a thread before responding to it risk looking like idiots. --
parkourboybryan 8 years ago#2
Rurouni_KJS posted...
Have wanted to play this for years but the budget never quite allowed for it until now.

Initial impressions:
— Happy that the motion sickness I'd feared might occur hasn't.

The motion sickness is much more apparent if you're watching the game being played instead of playing it yourself, as you can't see exactly where the player is going.

— Have unhappily encountered two crashes already (one where the gameplay screen went totally black, even when I tried going back to the menu screens; the other a good-old-fashioned freeze-up).

I think both of these might be to do with your console, I've logged 300+ hours, and have only seen visual glitches. The worst glitch I found was when I fell through the floor and kept falling, but in all fairness, I was in an OOB area not intended for me to access.

— Not sure how much I like the extreme trial-and-error gameplay. Kinda wish there was more opportunity for stealth.

This game has an excessive learning curve, but trust me when I say that getting the hang of it and making an awesome run with no slip ups is so exhilaring.

— Man, do I dislike the weird cutscene art style.

Yeah, they look like those old Esurance ads, but they eventually grew on me.

— The parkour is surprisingly realistic. Faith isn't doing a lot of stuff that real high-level free runners couldn't.

The only thing she can do in this game that professional traceurs can't are those 5+ step wall runs, this game has an extremely realistic feel, part of the reason I like it more than other parkour games like Assassin's Creed, Brink, Infamous etc.

— Still very early in the learning curve, but I'm surprised how easy the basic running has become already. Have yet to do my first disarm.

The game is meant so that you can play it without having to fight if you're good enough. For an extreme challenge, play it on hard without shooting or meleeing enemies, that's an intense rush.

Liking this game quite a bit. Will be posting more as I go along until I finish the game or I'm just finished playing it.

Glad to hear you're liking it. There's a certain charm this game has, and it's the reason it's my favorite platformer of all time. Definitely post your endgame impressions.
Rurouni_KJS 8 years ago#3
Almost gave up after that ridiculous New Eden sequence — I'd have NEVER done it without a walkthrough, and it took probably a literal hundred tries because this game likes cheap shots. I really hate when figuring out the next move isn't intuitive AND there's bullets flying so much that I CAN'T scope it out leisurely.

That said, the feeling of running full tilt and finding the route easily [i.e., mostly by accident] is one of the more awesome gaming experiences I've had.
--Those who fail to read a thread before responding to it risk looking like idiots. --
Rurouni_KJS 8 years ago#4
Finished it. Was pleased that there was no stupid "boss fight" at the end just because a game has to have an ending boss fight. But the story feels soooo unfinished. How'd the sisters escape? What happened to Celeste? Why didn't the pursuit blues ever show back up? And the other Runners? And what about Miller?

Liked the game but not sure I want to run through it again. Will replay my favorite levels, though.
parkourboybryan 8 years ago#5
Rurouni_KJS posted...
Finished it. Was pleased that there was no stupid "boss fight" at the end just because a game has to have an ending boss fight. But the story feels soooo unfinished. How'd the sisters escape? What happened to Celeste? Why didn't the pursuit blues ever show back up? And the other Runners? And what about Miller?

Liked the game but not sure I want to run through it again. Will replay my favorite levels, though.

A lot of that was left ambiguous intentionally, but I can say that the story could've been much better. As for some questions:

-It looks like Celeste snuck out when Faith was preoccupied with the SWAT.

-Miller's fate was left like that to leave room for a potential arc in a sequel.

As for your other questions, I guess we'll have to wait for the sequel to figure out the answer to that.
  1. Boards
  2. Mirror's Edge
  3. Just got a PS3 and this is my first game.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A