• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Mirror's Edge
  3. Landing rolls

User Info: Wratts

Wratts
4 years ago#1
I'm new to the game and finding it hard to gauge how to properly execute a roll (in order to reduce fall damage on a landing after jumps from great heights).

Are you technically supposed to press the button immediately before, during, or after the animation frame of landing?

Do you tap, or hold the key for this to work right?

User Info: Jeff Andonuts

Jeff Andonuts
4 years ago#2
Just got the game, so I've only played about an hour. I press and hold it right before I land, and I do the roll.

Not too pleased with this game. Cool ideas but horrible execution.

How he hell am I supposed to appreciate running and jumping around if I'm always being chased by retarded policemen in linear tri-colored levels where the only reason I die is because I don't know where I'm supposed to go so I have to repeat the jumps again?

It's just not a smooth playing experience. Frustrating more than fun. Needs an open-world feel.

Wratts
4 years ago#3
Thanks for sharing. I've already completed the story mode in the meanwhile, and I'm still not sure if I've gotten the timing of these rolls right, yet. Seems a bit hit and miss for me, I have more trouble on the shorter falls than the higher ones.

Yeah, I felt like that too in the beginning of the game. The game had WAY more cops shooting at me than I had expected from this kind of game. Found it very annoying at first, but in the second half of the game, it actually grew on me. I think it ends up adding a lot to the experience. Once I had more practice in spotting things in the environment I could use (not just the things given by runner vision) and began improvising, it stopped feeling as strictly linear as in the beginning, and the enemies shooting all over the place started only becoming part of the navigational puzzle. Very interesting.

Mind you, I played a mostly "pacifist" style playthrough, meaning I only occasionally beat up some enemies if I absolutely had to, and spent the rest of the game running from or dodging pursuers.

And when I say, "second half of the game", also mind that the story is incredibly short. I think I was done in five hours. The time trials are really good if you like the parkour aspect but can't stand the cops.

Just mean to say, I get what you're saying, though it turned around for me, I kinda hope it will for you too if you stick with it. I feel like it falls just short of greatness due to the way it builds up this experience... the learning curve is too steep in the beginning, and shallows out towards the end. There's also a kung-fu fight you have to win late into the game, and NOTHING in it prepares you for this fight, which I found frustrating. But in retrospect, aside from these odd inconsistencies, I think the core of the gameplay itself is finely tuned and the level designs are great. I think it suffers from development changes, with levels having been cut, because it feels to me like some early levels where you can practice more are missing—there's a huge difficulty spike after the first two; and sometimes I feel like some hard parts were missing towards the end.

That aside, I think the next Mirror's Edge game (prequel? sequel? reboot? not clear on this) will address these sorts of complaints we've had. Open world, for instance, is one of the expressed design goals.

Wratts
4 years ago#4
Yeah, I think I got the hang of it now.

You press the button very shortly before you hit the ground, and I basically hold it until I see the screen play out the rolling animation out, and now it always works.

Thanks again.
  1. Boards
  2. Mirror's Edge
  3. Landing rolls
  • Topic Archived