Volume 2 of Everything a new game should have

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition
  3. Volume 2 of Everything a new game should have

User Info: radial200

radial200
8 months ago#61
Talked to my buddy about ESO. He said that I pretty much got it right. For ESO, he said that if two groups go into a dungeon, they can't see eachother. Any enemies, loot & quest objectives, will be unaffected by each group. So, basically there's one dungeon for each group. Apparently, W.O.W. doesn't work like this though. He said in W.O.W., if you go in a dungeon, everyone on that server & in that dungeon can see eachother.

Interestingly, he said that in ESO, you can see other players in the world. However, they can't just attack you. If they want to PVP with you, they have to challenge you to a duel. Via some sort of interaction menu. If you decline, then you're safe from attacks from them.

He said that Cyrodiil is the PVP area, but that there are different campaigns going on at the same time. So, like the dungeon, if you join a particular campaign. The others are still happening at the same time & in the same area, but that people in one campaign don't affect those in the other campaigns.

User Info: lonewolf1264

lonewolf1264
8 months ago#62
Yah I echo the it has been done so it can be so again thought. Sometimes I forget how old oblivion is, and then say if they could do this un 2005, what can't we do now.
For the record I have played about a dz online games, all on my phone. And most were damned limited. Which I've been wondering ..... is this going android/iPhone pc or something else?
I lol was online thru a friend and thru work. A friend let me borrow his portable ps 2 screen from time to time in exchange I let him have both my champions of norrath games with lots of help and gear. Funny how I so hated that tiny screen, yet now I spend tons of time on a small screen typing away.
I think the watching some vids is a good idea, but it'll probably be towards next weekend before I have much free time.
So any other things you wanna cover/explore or just outright condemn?
No matter where you go there you are

radial200
8 months ago#63
Well, I watch enough YouTube vids to have a pretty good idea of how modern multiplayer capable games work. Combined with some hands on experience with a few games. As I said, for me, my perfect game would allow me to choose single player, co-op or full on multiplayer. With the additional option to specify PVE or PVP. That or have it like my friend said ESO is & give me the in-game option to decide on whether or not I want to PVP. Separate servers for each, is fine too. Still, I like the idea of being able to decide on a whim, in the middle of the game.

Anyway, maybe down the road, when technology can better handle it, our game could be a mobile. With things as they are though, I'm thinking pc. Maybe a console version at some point too, but it sounds like a pc game to me.

As far as other stuff to go in to, I'm not sure. Think of something to get me started here. Cause I'm drawing a blank.

It'd be easier to keep things going if more people would contribute. Rather than indulging he who shall not be named. Oops. Didn't mean to trigger you.

lonewolf1264
8 months ago#64
Lol compadre no triggering happened. He who should just dry up n blow away, is no more likely to change than is oblivion without modding.
BTW kudos, for using lonewolf in a post. I choose that name for a reason, since I usually prefer lonewolfing it myself. And my tatics and strategy are often way different from the norm.
Yes we need more posters. I'd hoped this would be a topic lots of people would have at least some interest in. It would appear I was wrong. Us 2 trying to keep this going alone is going to kinda hard, but let us not rest!
I'm not a you tube fan, so no haven't watched much. Also haven't posted anything even tho I made several videos of things I did in oblivion. So I figured maybe table some ideas for a little while till I do so youtube homework so I am not speaking out of my hindquarters.
I will only say again the champions of norrath games had all that single/co-op/ multiplayer athough still limited to 4 p. All that back in 2004, so we know it's mechanically possible.
Hmm new ideas? How about making some more astrologicial events? Eclispes and so on? Maybe tie it into soul gems in some way? I still want to explore the whole soul gem thing more too. I haven't read much lore about soul gems, but might we include something similar? Or maybe you have other ideas along that line?

radial200
8 months ago#65
Hmm. Well, I don't have any deep knowledge of the lore behind soul gems in TES. However, I guess if they or some similar items were in our game, that'd be fine.

Could use some other way to enchant items, but for now, lets go with it. Also, quick questions. Would you prefer to have enchantments be limited, as in TES? Or do you feel that a magic sword is a magic sword & that's that? Finally, what's your opinion on the grades of soul gems? Necessary or can/should it be reduced down to 2 or 3 grades?

lonewolf1264
7 months ago#66
ok actually I can live with soul gems. Other things we could talk about at some point but for now we use soul gems. As for size I'd honestly like more, or at least have a few bigger. Say rivaling the amount you might get using sigil stones or some of the unique items. I personally prefer as many options as possible with both weapons and armor.
For example why not allow a high level character enchant armor/clothes ect with more than one thing? Seems a little silly we can do that with weapons but not armor. I especially think that concerning defensive buffs.
I'd like to see some regeneration bonuses like the champions games had. I think these really add the character in game.
So where do we go now?

radial200
7 months ago#67
So, like mythic soul gems, titan soul gems or legendary soul gems?

Could use an entirely new system. I see some alters & rituals taking place. Speaking of, maybe that'd be a thing. So for more neutral to good enchantments, you could go to chapels & temples. Eventually, you could get the home versions or portable versions. Then the same idea, but neutral to dark enchantments, you'd go to daedra shrines & necromancers & the like. Just a thought.

Speaking of that, I'd like to see some variations in terms of NPC, creatures & monsters disposition towards the player. Based on choices you've made. For example, if I'm an evil character, shouldn't at least some evil NPCs, creatures & monsters be at least indifferent to me? If not friendly? Rather than just openly hostile towards me, all the time....just because? Urgh, I hate that. Also, I think some recognition for my deeds, for good or ill, is in order too. I mean, if I just saved/destroyed your village, don't you think that you'd have some consistent & permanent feelings about that?

Anyway, other than that, I've just been thinking about customization. Down to the smallest detail too. Like I want to design my own gear. My clothes/armor, weapons, animals/pets..... everything. I mean sure have defaults, for those folks not into spending hours on the finer details of a swords flurishes in design. However, for those that would be into that, It'd be nice to have the option to do it.

That's all I've got for now.

lonewolf1264
7 months ago#68
Well evilness is recognized for good or ill in oblivion, and it seems to work. But I'm all for tuning things some more in that area. Sure I think the whole folks like or hate you could be done better. I think we could expand by having a character being evil reform/repent whatever. Or a good one fall off the wagon. A priest becoming a drunk or drug addit? Your thoughts? People notice this and thier reactions change.
Hmm good characters can only trap evil souls? Or the undead? I don't see a real point to limiting evilish harvesting of souls. Prehaps soul gems could play into reanimating the undead?
I totally agree the more immersion the better! I used to spent hours painting my ac's in the old armored core games. So yah go pets go weapons armor clothes? I'd love say having a aquamarine 0 weight outfit. Or some 6ft long sword. Give color length provide a buttload of heraldry options. Allow full customization of those heraldry n crests. Allow a griffin pooing on people with a crest saying may the poo fly where it may. A knight wielding a mace with a caption of MMM'S! Or in the full tongue The Mighty Mage Mashers! Sound good? Make a pink sword a real flaming axe. Yes if you want green flames by the gods radial give it green flames! This would keep the game fresh no matter if it was solo co-op or online. Change the shape of shields and if you pick a large shape like a tower shield and you get better protection or say a small buckler that would give you a bit more speed and movement rate. I have more ideas let me know if you want me to expand more

radial200
7 months ago#69
Yes. Do it man! The more ideas we get flying around this topic, the easier it'll be to keep it going. Maybe, just maybe, it may even get someone else to post. If not then at least it may spark something for either one of us & help us keep it going.

I think we'd need a means to allow any PC to use any enchantments. Regardless of the PC's good or evilness & the nature of the enchantment. So magic, in & of itself isn't inherently good or evil. Maybe the soul gems could be a bit. Or whatever other means of enchanting. Like grand soul gems vs black soul gems. Or dark rituals & alters vs light rituals & alters. Or maybe neither the magic nor the gems are inherently good or evil, but the actual process determines it? Like if I want a fire sword. If I go to a chapel or a temple, it's a light or good enchantment. If I go to a daedric shrine or a necromancer then it's a dark or evil enchantment. Maybe there's some additional advantage to that too. Like say a chapel fire sword is better vs baddies. While a shrine fire sword is better vs goody goodies. Or maybe there's an additional enchantment of light or dark spirit damage or something? Anyway, I want to restrict the restrictions. Players should be able to do what they want. Thoughts?

As far as NPCs, creatures & monsters disposition, I think that a PC should be able to go back & forth on their good or evilness. At will. And yeah, the game (Oblivion) does o.k. in some areas here. However, if it were real life, how would that change things? Say I destroy your village. Years go by. Then I save you & your family from certain death. How do you ferl about me? What if I'm a freakin saint & always do right by you & everyone else. Now how do you feel? Or the reverse. I'm a blight upon the land & an all round vicious evil S.O.B.. Now how do you feel? How long do you think that you'd feel that way towards me? I just think that a little more realism would be nice here. Plus, if I want to go see a necromancer about a horse, why can't I say hello. Why can't I say "Hey man, I'm evil too & those darn villagers are trying to find someone to kill you. So heads up. BTWs, let's be bros." But oh no, it's all openly hostile all the time.

As far as total customisation, hech yeah. From the look & textures of the raw materials, to the finishing etchings on my finely crafted armor. That kind of customisation would work in any play mode. Multi-player & co-op would be cool just to see what sort of awesome stuff other people put together. Single player would be awesome too. So, whatever the game mode it'd be cool. So, again if you've got more to say on this, lay it down man.

lonewolf1264
7 months ago#70
Ok. hmm yes anybody can use anything. A good person might find a weapon or anything really, that was meant for evilish types. Maybe for them not all enchantments work? And vis versa. We could have quests to say reconsecrate or defile some legendary things.
Like this... we can become the paladin that destroys umaril, why not reverse that and become the evil champion of umaril?
As for looks well using fire as an example, it has many colors. Lets go with some colors as good and some evil? We could apply that to just about anything to kinda denote it's nature. Good things might have say a white aura and evil a black one?
Hmm now about recognizing and dealing with the pc's evil or good nature. Sure the evil people should respond differently to evil folks. There should be some type of negotion option, that would say give a person passage thru a dungeon. Perhaps an exchange of money or items? Maybe with enough fame/infamy they simply say we have heard of you you may pass. Why not even give you trade options that allow you to trade with any npc?
My connection is acting up more tomorrow. Like where you're going radial.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition
  3. Volume 2 of Everything a new game should have

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived