THE NEW.........That You ABSOLUTELY MUST FREAKING HAVE!

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition
  3. THE NEW.........That You ABSOLUTELY MUST FREAKING HAVE!

User Info: radial200

radial200
1 year ago#51
Well as far as the leveling system goes, what do you propose? I personally enjoy the system in Skyrim. I know you haven't played it, but there's info available. Long & short of it is there are no classes, no major, minor or misc skills. Just skills that you choose to increase or not. You choose to raise Health, Magicka or Stamina on level-ups. There are not Attributes either. There's a Perk system in place too. However, each skill has a fair number of player selected Perks, that you can choose to get or not.

Some people say it's a dumbing down of the franchise, while others sing it's praises. All I know is that in Skyrim you can play using whatever skills you want from beginning to end. Want to get them all maxed & all perks too, you can. Wanna just be a sneak or just a warrior or just a pure mage & nothing else, you can. Want to cherry pick skills from all three, you can. I see it as giving me the freedom to really play my way. I can play the entire game any way I choose.

Now for a self proffessed glitcher, you're sounding aweful anti-glitching to me. Anyway, I like the idea of an on-going living world. The idea of being long dead & reincarnating in to a changed world is quite compelling. Imagine that the inhabitants of Cyrodiil have life cycles like ours. They build, they destroy, the re-build. Empires rise & fall. Factions/Guilds change, grow & fall to ruin. You like some bizzare time traveler can check in on the comings & goings of the world from time to time & see the wonders to behold. Fascinating stuff.

Since this is a fantasy topic with no actual real-world boundaries, I say f##$k it. The game balance isn't an issue. As far as the exact details of the state of your new character after you reincarnate, I think you've got some good ideas. I'd like to see a total overhaul of the leveling system anyway & choosing a timeframe to reincarnate is great. I agree, if you die & basically just wanna keep going by reincarnating in a short time, then you can. But staying dead longer has rewards & negatives too.

As to belongings, what if you have an option to make say an enchanted weapon or armor or whatever "legendary". So, say that you make a sweet enchanted sword & make it legendary. The idea is that, from that point on, that sword will always exist in the game. So, if you die & reincarnate a century later, yeah you have to find & retrieve it. Maybe through quests, boss fights or whatever else, but you could still have it available. Where as non "legendary" stuff might be deleted from the game.

More to thoughts on things, but for now, I yield the topic back to you.

User Info: lonewolf1264

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#52
Yes wasn't at first but I did become probably over glitched in a few games. Your honor the random loot creater did it I swear! I very rarely ever paid for training, but I am guilty as hell of letting mudcrabs n rats attack me for 10-15 min real time before I killed them. And using summons to do training ect ect.
Now as for a better way, a simple or at least fairly simple D&D style experience system. The tougher the fight the more exp. Using a skill gets you exp, killing completing quests. For instance in my days the hardest thing in d&d to kill was an ancient red dragon. It was virtually impossibe for a lvl 1 to kill. Gave 8k+ exp. A rat snake any minor life form might give you say 5 exp. Picking a simple lock or trap might give you 10-20 exp. A truely simple system would be like this. 0 -100 exp lvl 1 double the exp for the next lvl. So lvl 2 is 100-200 3 200-400 and so on. Past lvl 10 or so you would need to be fighting powerful monsters or doing complex tasks, to lvl up.
Stat increases well I think some gained by advancing thru a guild line are ok. Generally at lvl up I think if you picked 1 stat you could increase it by 10 2 by 5 3 by 3 . Skills, increase sorta like stats but you can only increase skills you used that lvl. Maybe like this you start with 100% now you used blade weapon to kill say 50% of the exp you gained. You picked x locks took x amount of damage to armor cast x healing and x offence spells of the same time and got x exp from walking. So those x's = 50% too. These are the only skills you can raise, that lvl. Again say you can only pick 3 to increase. Again say you have 10 points divide as you like.
Come to think of it if we are thinking of this as a real life game, the simple blade or blunt needs to be gone. Someone trained with daggers is not going to be as good (generally) with a monster 2 handed sword. The attack style is different reach speed weight ect. Same with blunt a club is a far different weapon than some great wooden maul or warhammer. There need to be a s***storm of perks relating to SPECIFIC weapon types. Attacks disarms 1 handed fighting 2. Maybe proficency perks say novice does 1 pt damage per hit apprentice 2 ect. Higher proficency gives added chances for a crit strike just like a sneak attack bonus. With light weapons maybe attack speed increases. Heavy 2 handers start with a speed penalty that can go positive. Redo all the weapons this way. Bows a typical shortbow only has a 100-200 yd effective range a good reinforced bow maybe another 100 a great english longbow that might be almost 6 ft tall (double that of a shortbow) could have a draw weight of well over 100 pds (some are rumored to have been over 200). It took tall men years n years to master them and they could penetrate plate armor at beyond 600 yds. Same with crossbows there were small light ones and monster ones (still man sized not siege), that needed cranks to rec***.
I know there is damed little chance in almost any RPG video game, you'll ever take more than a 50 yd shot. Why not fix that too actually figure out how to have 200-400 yd shots. Ok enough of that for now.
Yes Yes OHHHH MY GODS YESSSS!!!!!! Sorry almost had a religious experience there. A evolving and changing world!!! Prehaps while dead another hero came along n closed all the oblivion gates n you get new quests for a new era? Or if you decide to go evil, the path to reopen them comes along. The rivers the land all change so it is like a completely new game? Maybe new creatures new factions, maybe done on purpose you slept a hero waiting to be brought back to fight new evils.
Or what if you could in someway go back and change things? Stop the dwarves from disappearing. Stop the rise of the mythic dawn the deaths of the emperors sons ect ect?
Hmmm running out of characters to post. Some might say I lack character lol Anyhoo food for thinking
No matter where you go there you are

radial200
1 year ago#53
Yeah, I like where you're going with XP. I know we've said it before, but there really needs to be more weapon & armor types. More versatility in spells, enchanting & Alchemy. More extensive list of Stealth Skills too.

As far as making Marksman more like the real world, I'm good with the idea. You know what'd be cool is if you really had consider the enemy's armor too. You'd have to aim for the weak points. That kind of thing.

Yeah, maybe the game starts sometime before the First Era. The map is the entire planet of Nirn. Maybe Tamriel is just where you start. So, you get to experience the whole of the ES in a single game. One that, yes, has changing landscapes. Empires, Guilds & faction all pop up & are eventually gone or replaced. Buildings are put up & over time, become ruins or are re-built, re-purposed. Some are just gone. Make it like the real-world with erosion, glacial movement, desert sand covering once great cities. Newer cities build on top of old ones. So on & so forth. Whether or not the game is in Cyrodiil or all/part of Nirn is nether here nor there, but the above should be in our game either way.

As for questing, we should be able to choose whether or not we want to participate in a notable event from TES lore or not. If so, then we should be able to choose to break away from TES canon & do things our own way. Most RPG series do this any way. Having a canon path &/or ending, but still letting the player choose how they played the game. Even though it might be vastly different than canon. The really good RPG series let you play the sequel/s using the way you played the previous one to carry over. Of course there are consequences for decisions you make & in our endless living world game, that could be quite interesting.

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#54
I'm good with all of that.
An idea about a starting point. Maybe have a starting point based on the race you choose? Maybe modified by saying a outcast, criminal option that might let you start in another area, or in jail. Again there should be certain pluses and minuses. Say starting in a city or area where your chosen race is predominate, you get better store prices or some unique quests availble only to a given race. I gotta think more on that.
I definitly think we are getting somewhere with this. A lot more fun than just saying ok this is the game, you do this then that then the other in that order.

radial200
1 year ago#55
Well, if we're opening the game world up to include the entire planet & the history of it, then we're wide open for a starting point. I'm no expert on ES lore, so I'm not sure when a good starting point would be in TES timeline. Pre-first era certainly, but how far back beyond that, IDK.

Howeber, that idea of starting off in the homeland of your chosen race makes sense & may help with a time period too. Also, I think that exploration would be interesting. Getting to see & explore everything in Tamriel & beyond would be a lot of fun. I think we need to have an option to learn sailing too. That way you could go out to sea & explore the world. Of course you'd have the option to book passage aboard a vessel & just go from known point to known point too, but if you really want to explore on your own then a sailing skill/s would let you captain your own ship. Maybe some quests where you can be a deckhand on a ship. You take the job & the ship sails to a place or places that you haven't been to before. Could be fun.

Anyway, maybe there's an option to play as noteworthy people from the various time periods & events. Both good & evil characters too.

I'm sure that we should have personalities. From the goody-goody to the dispicable. From the vixen to the smarky jokester. Clearly we both want at least some spoken dialog from our PC. So choosing a voice & personality to match, is a must have feature in our game.

Bach to you.......

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#56
okbie!
Yes so down with the sea adventures, something no video game focuses on enough. Give us a real reason for pirates. Why not make that a playable class? Give them a pirate everything, town townsfolk ect. Not hard to rationalize since we have them already. Or just a random sea,(whatever) class. Story line quests the whole 99 yards!
Ok with historical folks a live it thru the heros or vilians eyes.
More later working 12 shifts at work and gotta get there to get paid.

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#57
lonewolf1264 posted...
okbie!
Yes so down with the sea adventures, something no video game focuses on enough. Give us a real reason for pirates. Why not make that a playable class? Give them a pirate everything, town townsfolk ect. Not hard to rationalize since we have them already. Or just a random sea,(whatever) class. Story line quests the whole 99 yards!
Ok with historical folks a live it thru the heros or vilians eyes.
More later working 12 shifts at work and gotta get there to get paid.

I love the sailing idea. A ship could be a generational item passed down, from parent to child. Or a trip back in time using our reincarnation idea. You could adventure from it, use tons of current skills or new ones. Trade with it use it a house, on and on. A well built ship could last 200+ years. Hell turn your ship into a teleportation vessel. My head is swimming with ideas

radial200
1 year ago#58
Yeah, our ships could even have their own lore & both our ship & items that continue to exist throughout the ages could develope random magical properties based on their associated lore. Just like the items in the actual game. This .... sword was held by the hero of..... & used in the battle of.... & now has this high base damage & these ridiculous magical effects. So to, our former items could retain our enchantments, but also develope new randomized damage levels & effects. The ships could develope in terms of speed, manuverability, offensive & defensive capabilities.

Are you suggesting that our ships could be time-machines? That might be cool. So, if multiple events are taking place simultaniously & you can only be in one place at one time, you could use your ship to go to the other place & participate in the other event too. Via time travel. Another use could just be for players that prefered an earlier time period. This would give them a way to go back without restarting.

lonewolf1264
1 year ago#59
Well why not to just about anything? In the ship area, just withen oblivion, we have ships in the cave near chorral, the one near bravil and anvil. As wrecks or ghost ships. You have 2 more inhabited ones, so thats 5, to build stories around. 6 if you include the bloated float.
Both the ship near chorral, and the one near bravil, beg for bigger backstories. Prehaps entering either could lead to traveling back to when they were sailing. Or go for a rebuild this ship quest. Go with a ghost ship crewed by the undead. Great roleplay for say a necromancer build. Or as a vampire captaining a ship thru the ages.
The ship near chorral especially, comes across as a teleportation vessel, maybe once owned by a mage that thru whatever ever means put the ship in that cave. Or maybe the gods cursed ship and crew, and teleported it, so it remained entombed. In any case the ship retains it's ability to teleport. To make the ship yours, maybe you have to go back in time, right some cosmic wrong or even cause some great harm. Maybe kill the old captain or some hero.
Now for weaponizing them, or giving them special abilites, again sure. Speed and size could be picked at start. Different ships preformed differently depending on hull shape, sails, masts and if they had oars for rowing. Now add in magic to increase hull strength or a feather effect to make it lighter or faster. Maybe an onboard aylied well that gave you your followers, whatever a huge pool of magic energy to draw from, for magic combat or to enhance your ships whatever with spells. Catapults, ballista, maybe large chinese repeating crossbows for standard weapons. I'd love an ancient aylied ship with dark welklind stones, the ability to launch poison gas and so on.
I think this all would best work out if our characters could marry or at least have children, to whom they could leave things to. To leave our causes to. Like protector of the realm or to continue our works like a canal system so ships could travel to almost every city. Or build bridges, aquaducts and so on. Become the patron of a village,town or city and help it grow. Imagine being able to replace the count in bravil and turn it from a s***hole to a city to rival any. To build some village like cropsford into a city or borderwatch.
Sure especially say given an altmers lifespan this could be done in a single lifetime, but lets go beyond that.
I really think we need airborne mounts and beasts too, and to factor them into things too. How bout passing down your dragon or griffon or chimera?
We need more modes of transport both alive and not. Lol why not a magic broom or carpet? Or some ancient undead maybe evil beast?
Well keep throwing out ideas, I'm loving the fantasy game in my head.

radial200
1 year ago#60
Well, there could be any number of vessels & types of vessels. Considering that our game has the whole world & it's history to explore, every type from human history & beyond would work. I can see everything from canoes to grand royal barges. From warships to trade vessels. From the most humble to the most lavish & ornate.

Weapons wise, everything you said sounds good. I have to add that I think we need some additional spells. You know you have to be able to summon a Kraken. How about calling forth a thick fog bank. Either sneak up on or escape from other ships. What about rouge waves. Both natural & summoned. How about an Illusion spell that makes several mirages of other vessels. You get the idea.

Of course more mounts would be cool. Griffons, Dragons, whatever they called Pegasis' flying horse breed. I always wanted a battle-cat, like on He-Man. Some dinosaurs. Yeah. Sounds good to me.
  1. Boards
  2. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Game of the Year Edition
  3. THE NEW.........That You ABSOLUTELY MUST FREAKING HAVE!

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived