• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Record of Agarest War
  3. Early TP Spending Tips

User Info: King-Yemma87

King-Yemma87
1 month ago#1
I started playing again for the first time in about 10 years, though never finished the first time, but I'm playing on hard and trying minimize irl playing time so I wanted to see what the best strategy is for TP use during 1st Generation so I don't have to do TP farming until getting Axel Rave.

I'm currently at Foothill Town since I accidentally passed the event that locks you out of going back to Rigulus (? for spelling) for a while before spending TP for the first time and have 529 TP currently. Additionally, after getting Winfield I decided to stop using the heroines and only using Leo, Ellis, Borgnine, Vira-Lorr, Zerva, and Winfield based on recommendations for endgame parties I've seen. I'm also level 13 on average if that affects recommendations.

I'm mainly asking the question since looking through the other boards on this topic didn't provide much of a consensus on the best course of action since most either said to spend 250 on Vessels of Life to sell in order to purchase other things and complete titles or to only get 2 and focus on some cheaper books and elemental smithing, though not much specific other than Essential Arts XVI to get Axel Rave, though that's too expensive now and won't be usable until sometime during 2nd Generation anyway.

Any sort of specific strategy would be helpful, especially including specific items to get, such as weapons, armor, accessories, and skills that will be particularly helpful at this point in the game.
(Insert cool one-liner here)

User Info: MasterSquidward

MasterSquidward
1 month ago#2
Regarding optimal TP usage throughout the game:
The first thing you would want to spend TP on is a Vessel of Life to sell for gold. You would then be able to use this gold to buy the Crafting Manuals from the Item Shop while also stocking up on items such as Fragment of Life's. Do not purchase 10 Vessel of Life's immediately for the Title. The title rewards (STR Piece, Revive, Magic Stone Piece, 6000g, 8 PP, 50 TP) do not make up for the 250 TP needed. Instead, it is more efficient to claim this title later in the game when gold is abundant and you would simply be able to buy 10 Vessel of Life's from the Item Shop. Only use TP to attain and sell Vessel of Life's for gold when you need the gold to spend (e.g. reviving Leonhardt or any of the heroines in the Second Generation).

Afterwards, you would want to prioritize TP on Smithing Manuals. Specifically, you would want to purchase the Smithing of Flame, Smithing of Wind, and Basic Weapons II in that order. Fire elemental weapons are the best equipment for the majority of physical units to use until around the Third Generation when better options start becoming available. You would want to equip all magic units with Wind elemental equipment until near the end of the Third Generation, as the Wind skill is the best magic attack in the game until that point. Basic Weapons II unlocks some weapons to craft, most notably the Rondel Dagger, which can be enhanced and converted into MAG+130 to equip on all magic units, and the Spiked Hammer, which converts into ATK+130 and is required to craft the Gale Spike and the Sledgehammer, both which are generally useful.

While crafting elemental equipment for the early and mid game, you will likely need to purchase Element of Flame/Wind from the TP shop. One of these costs 10 TP, and it is overall a worthwhile investment to forge the elemental weapons for the units you wish to use.

Near the end of the Third Generation and the start of the Fourth Generation, stronger weapon and equipment options are made available to the player. Some of these weapons and equipment will either be present in the TP Shop (e.g. Magic Blade for 350 TP) or require the player to spend TP for crafting components (e.g. Battle Frame for 300TP is needed to craft the Tri-Guard, which is needed to create the skill Stardust). Essentially, TP would want to be prioritized for the purposes of crafting stronger equipment for the player's units. This is generally how the player wants to prioritize TP usage for the rest of the game.

Note that TP grinding is never required to have sufficient TP for the duration of the game. It is inefficient to grind, as the payoff does not justify the effort. Spending TP on unlocking the skill book that contains Rush Beat, Square Cross, Deadly Blow, and Shadow Sting should not be prioritized over the purchases suggested above.

Regarding the heroines: it is true that you are not required to use them. With that said, I would not suggest building your party with the post-game in mind, as this may actively hold you back in terms of playing the main game efficiently. In the context of the main game, Fyuria, Luana, and Elaine are all strong units in their own right; Elaine herself is arguably the second best unit in main game right behind Leonhardt due to a myriad of traits (uses Spears, fantastic Extended Area for the purpose of Energy AP accumulation, great combat performance, can Chain-Hop easily with any 1-ranged units due to Spears and her Extended Area, General slots allow her to partake in Execution combination attacks in the mid game). To compare, Winfield can be considered as the worst unit for the main game due to his lackluster combat, relatively poor Extended Area for Energy AP accumulation, and general lack of synergy with other units. If you require any more information on playing the game efficiently, feel free to ask.
(edited 1 month ago)

King-Yemma87
1 month ago#3
MasterSquidward posted...
If you require any more information on playing the game efficiently, feel free to ask.

First, I'd like to thank you for your thorough response, as it's been very helpful. That said, I do have a few followup questions.

First, which skills should I work on getting? I mostly just have the basic skills right now, but unable to use Thunder or Ice Needle due to lack of weapon slots and switched out Winfield for Elaine. I am getting by well enough my current skills, just would like to know efficient times to upgrade.

Second, what's the most efficient method of spending EP? I noticed with the elemental weapons the cost spiked significantly so knowing what's best to invest where is preferable, especially considering that some equipment require converted items so keeping some EP for that seems necessary as well.

Third, what priority should be given to armor and accessories?

Fourth, when is steal worth it in the game and how to use it efficiently?

Fifth, what's the best method of distributing PP? Is it better to hold onto for later or use it asap?

Sixth, what stats should be focused on with stat distribution? Currently, I focus mainly on primary stat, vitality, and another stat, such as agility or luck, depending on point costs at the time. For Leonhardt specifically, I tend to go the all-around approach for him, though a bit more focus on strength and vitality.

Sorry for all the questions, just want to cover all the bases so I have a good idea on how to do everything most efficiently before getting too far ahead, though almost to Pleuron now. It may also be helpful to know I'm going for a 100% playthrough.
(edited 1 month ago)

MasterSquidward
1 month ago#4
King-Yemma87 posted...
First, which skills should I work on getting? I mostly just have the basic skills right now, but unable to use Thunder or Ice Needle due to lack of weapon slots and switched out Winfield for Elaine. I am getting by well enough my current skills, just would like to know efficient times to upgrade.
In the First Generation, you generally do not need to prioritize attaining any new skills. You would really only need to learn Wind so you can equip it on all your mages; as said earlier, Wind is the best magic skill in the game due to being AoE and being able to put enemies to sleep. You would ideally want to equip all of your mages with Wind from the First Generation until near the end of the Third Generation.

Partway through the Second Generation, assuming you have Leonhardt back in your party (which you probably should, considering he is the best unit in the game), Leonhardt will eventually learn his second EX skill, Raging Blast. Once he has this learned this attack, it is suggested to go back to Lucrellia and partake in a low-level fight. By using Leonhardt's Raging Blast, you should be able to unlock the Title Attacker, which requires you to perform 50k damage in a single attack. By unlocking this title, you will gain access to the General skill Square Cross, required to use the Combination Attack Execution. You would already have the skill Double Edge for the Execution combination attack, and later in the Second Generation, a unit will join the party with the skill Cross Edge in her inventory, allowing you to utilize Execution to bust down the bulkier enemies. The most efficient strategy in the mid game (mid-Second Generation to late-Third Generation) is to utilize chain-hopping to clear out several enemies in a single turn; Execution is by far the strongest combination skill the player would have access to by this point for this purpose. Comparable Combination Attacks (e.g. Gore Crush, Axel Rave, Mirage Force) are unviable for this purpose due to having the skills required for these Combination Attacks locked behind the 1250 TP skill book or behind much more challenging Titles to complete.

Near the end of the Third Generation, you will be able to acquire several Skill Manuals. Of all the skills unlocked, there is one that is particularly powerful: Stardust. Stardust deals relatively high damage and possesses an AoE radius of 2 tiles. Simply using Stardust over and over is the most efficient method to clear out or severely weaken clustered enemies in battle. Two other skills that are worth acquiring are Stone Shower and Lightning. Stone Shower can be considered a lesser variant of Stardust, having good damage and an AoE radius of 2 tiles. Stone Shower is worse in the way that, due to it being of the Earth element, there are enemies that can resist, be immune to, or absorb Stone Shower's damage. Lightning is comparable to the skills Issen and Vanish Strike, in the way that it will hit 5 tiles in front of the user. This gives mages that can afford to equip Lightning an attack to use for the niche situation of hitting more enemies than Stardust would, in addition to giving the unit an effective attack range of 5 tiles without needing to equip Issen or Vanish Strike.

It is worth noting that the skills Rush Beat, Deadly Blow, and Shadow Sting are made available to the player via being in the inventories of certain party members that will join you in the Fourth Generation. The Fourth Generation is generally when units start being able to efficiently use combination attacks such as Execution, Axel Rave, Gore Crush, and Mirage Force several times per Attack Phase. Because of this, you do not actually need to purchase the 1250TP skill manual to gain access to these skills.

Second, what's the most efficient method of spending EP? I noticed with the elemental weapons the cost spiked significantly so knowing what's best to invest where is preferable, especially considering that some equipment require converted items so keeping some EP for that seems necessary as well.
Prioritizing EP usage on crafting +ATK/MAG actives would be suggested due to these actives giving the strongest bonuses in the early game. After, enhancing weapons would be the best use of EP. You may find yourself forgoing the final enhancement to the elemental weapons due to how expensive they are. In this case, the TP can instead be saved for enhancing stronger weapons you will gain access to in the mid game and late game as well as continuing to create stronger +ATK/MAG actives. For reference, the conversions of the Longsword, Hammer, Spiked Hammer, Sledge Hammer, and Crusher are the most accessible sources of +ATK actives, while the conversions of the Intelligence Ring and the Rondel Dagger will be the most accessible sources of the +INT/MAG actives.

Third, what priority should be given to armor and accessories?
There is little reason to prioritize enhancing armor and accessories over securing +ATK/MAG actives and enhancing weapons. In the early game, there generally are not any armours or accessories worth enhancing in the first place; this eventually changes partway through the mid game where stronger equipment becomes available, and enhancing these pieces of equipment start granting noticeable bonuses to base AP and stats, but it is still not worth prioritizing over the actives or enhancing weapons.

I will answer the remainder of your questions when I have additional time. There are a few things I would need to doublecheck to adequately answer these questions.

MasterSquidward
1 month ago#5
King-Yemma87 posted...
Fourth, when is steal worth it in the game and how to use it efficiently?
Steal is generally useful to help attain certain items for relevant Titles and for crafting. For example, at the end of the Second Generation, you would want to complete the Title Dreaming Wizard, which involves obtaining specific monster dropped items. Steal would be able to hasten the process of collecting these items. For reference, the Title Dreaming Wizard, upon completion, rewards the player with Medium Smithing I and Medium Weapons I, which will likely be important for forging stronger equipment (if you would like to know all the relevant Titles to complete in the main game, feel free to ask). As another example, partway through the Third Generation, the player gains access to forging the accessory Beast Ring (this is likely the first accessory worth enhancing for its bonuses). The Beast Ring notably has 3 active slots compared to accessories prior only having 2; what this means is that ideally, all of the player's units should be equipped with Beast Rings, as they will by far be the strongest accessory due to being able to equip an additional +ATK/+MAG active. To craft 6 Beast Rings, the player needs to have 6 Sloughs of Snake and 6 High-Grade Furs, drops from enemies the player has fought recently. While these drops can be attained from Overkilling enemies, utilizing Steal will, once again, hasten this process.

Fifth, what's the best method of distributing PP? Is it better to hold onto for later or use it asap?
It would largely be beneficial to use PP immediately rather than holding on to it for later, as you can make faster use of this PP. In the early game, prioritizing pumping PP into physical attackers (e.g. Leonhardt) when their ATK cost is still relatively low to enhance. Afterwards, prioritizing PP into AGI for all units you would like to use in your party would be ideal to make the best use of Energy stacking and turn initiative.

Sixth, what stats should be focused on with stat distribution? Currently, I focus mainly on primary stat, vitality, and another stat, such as agility or luck, depending on point costs at the time. For Leonhardt specifically, I tend to go the all-around approach for him, though a bit more focus on strength and vitality.
Depending on the unit, there are two stats worth investing in: STR/MAG and AGI. In the early game specifically, personal STR and MAG are at their strongest due to general lack of equipment options, early game investment in STR and MAG being generally cheap, and enemies having relatively low bulk. As a result, it is suggested that you invest all the points a unit gains through levels into STR/MAG in the early game. When investing into STR and MAG starts to become more expensive as the game goes on and the player's units start gaining more substantial benefits from equipment, AGI becomes the next best stat to invest in due to having more AGI allowing for better turn initiative and better usage of Energy stacking. In general, VIT and LCK are not worth investing in; early game investment in VIT has little relevance due to VIT only providing a boost to base DEF and a boost in a unit's HP growth, which is overall inferior to investing into STR/MAG in the early game. Defensive stats in general scale poorly as the game goes on, as enemies' tendency to gang up on a single unit will likely kill the unit regardless of VIT investment; because of this, the best defense is to simply kill the enemies before they get a chance to attack back. This is why turn initiative is relevant, and why AGI is worth investing into. As for LCK, LCK generally does not give any noteworthy benefits at any point in the game. The increase in HIT is nice, but ATK is capable of granting HIT as well. LCK does have some added utility, but whether or not that utility is practical or meaningful is debatable.

King-Yemma87
1 month ago#6
Steal is generally useful to help attain certain items for relevant Titles and for crafting.

Are there any particular unique items or hard to forge equipment (at the time) that I should look out for? Also, I mainly haven't utilized steal so far since the range is weapon and the skill type has made me apprehensive in using it since the units that have that type slot are mages. What's the best way of using it without putting units at risk of death?

(if you would like to know all the relevant Titles to complete in the main game, feel free to ask)

What are all the relevant titles to complete im the main game? I mainly have been just completing titles as they come up and mostly just completing them naturally and not trying too much to complete any so far.

Depending on the unit, there are two stats worth investing in: STR/MAG and AGI.

With units whose agility cost is always expensive, such as Borgnine, is it beneficial to invest in AGI at all? Currently, I haven't been investing in his AGI, but equipped a Luck Ring to compensate.

In general, VIT and LCK are not worth investing in; early game investment in VIT has little relevance due to VIT only providing a boost to base DEF and a boost in a unit's HP growth, which is overall inferior to investing into STR/MAG in the early game.

That makes sense. I focused on VIT mainly because other forums had suggested it, though I haven't noticed much of a difference.

Defensive stats in general scale poorly as the game goes on, as enemies' tendency to gang up on a single unit will likely kill the unit regardless of VIT investment;

That's unfortunate. That also reminds me of another question: is it efficient to allow allies to die at times for the SP boost and, if so, when are good times to do so and when is it not?

As for LCK, LCK generally does not give any noteworthy benefits at any point in the game. The increase in HIT is nice, but ATK is capable of granting HIT as well. LCK does have some added utility, but whether or not that utility is practical or meaningful is debatable.

I had heard that LCK is beneficial to skills like Capture and can inrease AVD, though it seems almost random and not cost effective. This brings me to a question about the skill, mainly in that when is it a good idea to focus on capturing monsters and what's the most efficient use of them? I know that they're necessary for some titles and you can trade them for items, but little beyond this vague information.

MasterSquidward
1 month ago#7
King-Yemma87 posted...
Are there any particular unique items or hard to forge equipment (at the time) that I should look out for? Also, I mainly haven't utilized steal so far since the range is weapon and the skill type has made me apprehensive in using it since the units that have that type slot are mages. What's the best way of using it without putting units at risk of death?
Nothing really comes to mind. Generally, Steal is not really important in the main game at all. If you do want to utilize Steal for whatever reason, generally the best user of it in the early game is Luana, who can use the combination attack Snatch (Trick Hit + Steal) to both deal damage and steal at the same time. Should you want to use Steal, it is best used near the end of the battle when you are clearing off enemies.

What are all the relevant titles to complete im the main game? I mainly have been just completing titles as they come up and mostly just completing them naturally and not trying too much to complete any so far.
At the end of the First Generation, you would want to complete the Detector of the Dark Title (Kill 15 Goblins + 15 Orcs) in order to unlock Basic Weapons III.
Partway through the Second Generation, you would want to complete the Attacker Title (Deal 50k damage), which will grant the skill Square Cross.
At the end of the Second Generation, you would want to complete the Greenhorn Title (Kill 10 Green Mousse + 10 Gremlins + 10 Cat Ladies + 10 Killer Bats) and the Dreaming Wizard Title (Possess 5 Feathers of Pixie + 5 Grimoires + 5 Sorcerer Certificates + 5 Poison Pollens) in order to unlock Essential Arts XII + Medium Smithing II and Medium Smithing I + Medium Weapons I respectively.
Partway through the Fourth Generation, you may want to complete the Dark Merchant Title (Possess 2 Cockatrice Wings + 5 Evil Eyes + 5 Alkahests + 5 Forbidden Fruit) to unlock Advanced Smithing IV. This is only advised if you are using a Knife-wielding mage, a Knuckle user, a physical Breaker user, a Gun user, or a Scythe user with inherent Extra slots (e.g. Duran, Rex, Dyshana).
All other Titles can either be attained naturally or are not worth engaging in during the main game.

With units whose agility cost is always expensive, such as Borgnine, is it beneficial to invest in AGI at all? Currently, I haven't been investing in his AGI, but equipped a Luck Ring to compensate.
If you plan on using Borgnine short-term (i.e. you plan on replacing Borgnine with another unit down the line), investing into nothing but STR would be advised to make the most use of his damage before replacing him. I would need to do more research and fact-checking on AGI benchmarks to determine whether or not it is worth it to invest into AGI on slower units. The biggest gain from high AGI, in addition to turn initiative, is efficient Energy stacking. Borgnine, for example, has an Extended Area that overlaps with two tiles of Leonhardt's; should Borgnine be able to apply Energy, he would grant three units +4 AP on his turn, for a collective gain of +12 AP. Whether or not this warrants the investment into AGI, I am still not sure. It should be noted that units with relatively poor Extended Area synergy with Leonhardt (e.g. overlap of only 1 tile for +3 AP to 2 units, collectively gain of +6 AP), such as Ellis, Vira-Lorr, and Ganz, AGI is not a worthwhile investment; in this case, it would be much better to focus on the unit's STR/MAG instead.

That's unfortunate. That also reminds me of another question: is it efficient to allow allies to die at times for the SP boost and, if so, when are good times to do so and when is it not?
This is pretty much the main strategy for boss fights in the game: position a single unit in front of the boss to take all the damage while positioning all other units out of range, revive the unit and have all units attack the boss. At the start of the next Movement Phase, repeat the same positioning, and eventually you will build enough SP to unload a barrage of Extra Attacks onto the boss. In standard fights, you generally would not want any of your units to die.

I had heard that LCK is beneficial to skills like Capture and can inrease AVD, though it seems almost random and not cost effective. This brings me to a question about the skill, mainly in that when is it a good idea to focus on capturing monsters and what's the most efficient use of them? I know that they're necessary for some titles and you can trade them for items, but little beyond this vague information.
I have not done too much research on monster units. In the main game, hypothetically, some monsters might be worth using due to stats and Extended Area, but I would need to check each one's traits to actually determine which ones, if any, are worth using. Monsters that have unique equipment can be ruled out due to how much maintenance they would require to upkeep, though monsters that use standard equipment would certainly seem viable should their other traits be worthwhile.
The most promising monster that I have heard of is the Luijt, which can be created by the following method: "Big Eye + Angel makes Mucrane, then fuse him with another Angel for Luijt at level 91". The Luijt is essentially invincible in terms of bulk, and it has strong offenses due to high base INT, high base AP of 26 (higher than any mage in the party) and being able to equip Rods. In addition, the Luijt has an innate Extra slot for Stardust, an innate Earth slot for Stone Shower, an innate Light slot for Resurrect, an innate Thunder slot for Lightning, and an innate Water slot for Cure All.
Despite these traits, it is still difficult to call the Luijt "better" than other units. Killing and weakening enemies in the late game is generally an easy task that most mages are capable of performing, so the Luijt is not exactly unique in this regard, and high bulk is not that important due to enemies ideally being killed before they attack anyways. Considering that the Luijt requires Capturing 3 monsters (which can be a lengthy task), time and effort are debatably lost in attempting to utilize the Luijt over other options.
It is worth noting that combining monsters will become a more enticing prospect in the post-game due to certain Actives (e.g. ATK+999) being made available via capturing and combining monsters. For the main game, however, capturing monsters does not seem to be a worthwhile endeavor. With that said, I would need to do more research on the game to be certain in this evaluation.

King-Yemma87
1 month ago#8
First, I know it's been a little while, but I'd like to thank you for all the info you've given me and answering my questions, as it's helped me significantly in regards to maintaining an efficient run of the main game so far. That said, I had a couple more questions for you if you'd oblige me.

My first question is I have regained Leo, but unsure who to replace with him. My first thought was Ladius, but don't know how much of an effect the hero's current stats have on the next gen hero. This may be irrelevant if I just use Leo in place of each next gen hero, though. In any case, would this be a good idea? Additionally, you had mentioned Elaine being the next best unit so would it be a good idea to replace Vashtor with her and maintain this party setup for the remainder of the main game?

My next question may be covered by my former questions depending on your answers, but for the sake of thoroughness, what would be your recommendation for the most efficient party to go through the main game with minimal changes? The main reason for the question is I'd prefer a party with the most synergy and versatility, but would like to plan ahead of time who'll stay in for the long haul and who won't so I can plan how much to invest into particular characters, in terms of levels and PP. My current party is Ladius, Vashtor, Zerva, Vira-Lorr, Ellis, and Borgnine.
(edited 1 month ago)

MasterSquidward
1 month ago#9
King-Yemma87 posted...
My first question is I have regained Leo, but unsure who to replace with him. My first thought was Ladius, but don't know how much of an effect the hero's current stats have on the next gen hero. This may be irrelevant if I just use Leo in place of each next gen hero, though. In any case, would this be a good idea?
The stats of the protagonist of the current generation will have no impact on the stats of the protagonist of the next generation. Only the protagonist's bride and her love rating will determine the stats of the next generation's hero. Regarding Ladius, while you would want to have Leonhardt in your party, Ladius himself is one of the better units in the game. Fyuria!Ladius is essentially a better version of Vashtor, whereas Elaine!Ladius is essentially a better version of Borgnine. As far as these three physical units go, Borgnine has the poorest performance in the Third Generation, so you could consider benching Borgnine for Leonhardt instead. The protagonists in general tend to be some of the strongest units in the game with optimal lineages.

Additionally, you had mentioned Elaine being the next best unit so would it be a good idea to replace Vashtor with her and maintain this party setup for the remainder of the main game?
This seems like an appropriate course of action to take. Vashtor's only notable advantage as a unit comes in the form of how easy it is to sustain the linked area with magic units using Wind or Stardust when utilizing the Hopping mechanic during extended attacks due to Vashtor's Extended Area, but this one advantage does not seem to justify the several disadvantages that Vashtor has in comparison. Elaine herself works best when positioned directly behind Leonhardt on Turn 1 Movement Phase in order to apply the Energy Will Power to 4 units total on her turn during the Action Phase, something that only a handful of other units can replicate or exceed.

My next question may be covered by my former questions depending on your answers, but for the sake of thoroughness, what would be your recommendation for the most efficient party to go through the main game with minimal changes? The main reason for the question is I'd prefer a party with the most synergy and versatility, but would like to plan ahead of time who'll stay in for the long haul and who won't so I can plan how much to invest into particular characters, in terms of levels and PP. My current party is Ladius, Vashtor, Zerva, Vira-Lorr, Ellis, and Borgnine.
Do you have a planned lineage for the protagonists? Often times, they will be amongst the best units in the game, though I am unable to recommend them currently due to not knowing what they will look like for you yet. Generally, there is no one "best team composition" for the main game, and units will tend to have several advantages and disadvantages compared to a similar unit (e.g. though Elaine can be considered as the "best" Spear unit, excluding Noah!Duran, there are still reasons to consider using Valeria instead, such as Elaine and Valeria's respective Extended Zones accommodating different units better, Valeria having 2 innate General slots, Valeria's AGI being easier to train due to having a higher base and growth, and Valeria gaining an innate Light slot on promotion to equip Resurrect in the late game).

King-Yemma87
1 month ago#10
Regarding Ladius, while you would want to have Leonhardt in your party, Ladius himself is one of the better units in the game. Fyuria!Ladius is essentially a better version of Vashtor, whereas Elaine!Ladius is essentially a better version of Borgnine. As far as these three physical units go, Borgnine has the poorest performance in the Third Generation, so you could consider benching Borgnine for Leonhardt instead.

I have Elaine!Ladius in this run so perhaps switching out Borgnine for Leo would be a good idea. It will hurt me a bit at the moment since he's the heaviest hitter and the only secret art available right now is Extra Stream, but it should even out.

This seems like an appropriate course of action to take. Vashtor's only notable advantage as a unit comes in the form of how easy it is to sustain the linked area with magic units using Wind or Stardust when utilizing the Hopping mechanic during extended attacks due to Vashtor's Extended Area, but this one advantage does not seem to justify the several disadvantages that Vashtor has in comparison.

Sounds like this would be a good idea then.

Do you have a planned lineage for the protagonists? Often times, they will be amongst the best units in the game, though I am unable to recommend them currently due to not knowing what they will look like for you yet. Generally, there is no one "best team composition" for the main game, and units will tend to have several advantages and disadvantages compared to a similar unit (e.g. though Elaine can be considered as the "best" Spear unit, excluding Noah!Duran, there are still reasons to consider using Valeria instead, such as Elaine and Valeria's respective Extended Zones accommodating different units better, Valeria having 2 innate General slots, Valeria's AGI being easier to train due to having a higher base and growth, and Valeria gaining an innate Light slot on promotion to equip Resurrect in the late game).

I don't have any planned lineages since I know little of the game beyond Third Gen since that's where I stopped on my first playthrough. I know a few things like hero names, but avoided most discussions related to characters to avoid storyline spoilers. I mainly just want to cover my bases, such as balance of magical and physical units, attribute slot coverage, and coordination of extended areas and willpowers. I also prefer party composition to include sword, spear, knuckle, scythe, and rod users, though others are welcome if they work really well. I suppose for now I plan on Leo, Ladius, Elaine (don't have Valeria yet), Zerva, Ellis, and Vira-Lorr. I may replace Zerva with Dyshana later since you mentioned she is a scythe user and I know she's playable in Fifth Gen. I prefer to run with units as long as possible, but if there is a unit that does what a current unit does better and is more efficient, I'd be prone to switch. I'll also note that I am going for a 100% run so all heroines will be at 5 affection, if that affects recommendations.

Additionally, I had a couple other basic questions. First, what are attribute levels and how does the mechanic work? Second, I'm unfamiliar with promotions and would like to know how that works as well.
(edited 1 month ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Record of Agarest War
  3. Early TP Spending Tips
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A