• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Record of Agarest War
  3. Skill and equipment crafting help

User Info: Barghesto

Barghesto
3 years ago#1
So, I just got past the Kaystros Mountains. What are some skills I can craft at this point in the game relatively easily? Also, for equipment, what would be good to go for, so far I have silver stuff for everyone but Winfield, Elaine and Luana.

My current main party is Leonhardt, Ellis, Borgnine, Vira-Lorr, Fyuria and Zerva, Winfield, Elaine and Luana but I don't know if I should work on them, as they are lower level than the others by a fair margin, except Elaine who started at level 12.

User Info: sleeping0dragon

sleeping0dragon
3 years ago#2
It's been a looooong time since I've played the game, but I'm guessing you're in the 1st gen. I don't think you'll be able to craft any skill at that point other than the basic first tier skills. Here's a link to the skill crafting on the wiki to see what kind of ingredients you'll need later on.

http://agarest.wikia.com/wiki/Skills_(Crafting)

I think the Silver weapons are fine for you at this stage. They should be fine until you get better weapons from drops or until you get access to Platinum weapons. Do the same until you get the Mithril weapons and then Orichalcum. After that is when you need to play around with Alchemy.

I wouldn't be too concerned with low level people too much, as long as they aren't too low leveled.

As for party members, the game could be challenging once you get to the half point and further so it may be in your best interest to use "good' characters.

Here's a quick rundown of what you have:

Leo: One of the best characters in the game. No terrible stats overall. He does have good stats for a warrior: Vit is rank B, and Str is rank A. When it comes to pure strength, he only loses out to the other MC and Borgnine (but he doesn't have Unleash All or Last Power so Leo's potential atk is actually higher). Unlike the other MCs though, Leo learns Unleash All very fast at lv20 for some reason. Combine that with Howling Blade, he becomes very destructive. Lastly, I think he has the best combination of Willpowers. All of them are very useful.

Unleash All - increase survivability and damage.
Energy, great linking character to give the other members more AP
Parry - improves survivability against physical attacks
Genius - Allows more attacks

Ellis: One of the best mages, both offensive/defensive. Nearly all mages have a S ranking in Int so I won't go into that, but here what sets her apart. Good innate slots of light and extra which are useful to combo into some of the higher tier magic skills. Light is particular good by itself since you can stick a healing or revive skill there. Her water slot can be used to heal status defects or switch it to an offensive skill instead. Her Extra skills are pretty standard, but once you have access to her lv 2 one, she will be able to snipe any enemy on the map (meaning she has full range). However, this only works if she links with at least one person. Her Willpowers aren't bad, but are mostly standard for a mage. Her last two are two must have for mages though, Magic Barrier and Critical Break. If she only she had Unleash All or Unleash Magic as a third Willpower then she'll be pretty great. She's also pretty fast for a mage even though her Agi is only Rank C.

Borgine: As a physical attacker and tank, he's good. S rank in Str and Vit. His Willpower Desperate Strength increases his atk and def. Total Resistance gives him complete immunity to status defects. However, that's all for the good parts. On the negative side, he's really slow, really weak magic defense and his movement is one of the worst. Overall, he's a decent attacker, but not really among the best, especially without Unleash All or Last Power.

Vira-Lorr: Relatively standard mage, but a good one though. Has two Extra slots, but no light or water so she's not a good healer. Her other two innate slots of lightning and earth didn't combo well many good spells from what I remembered though. As for Willpowers, has the standard Magic Barrier and Critical Break, but the rest aren't really useful. Her lv2 Extra Skill is an interesting one though. Has higher magic damage potential than Ellis with it, but I don't recall using it much so I can't comment further.
Now Playing: Neptunia Reverse
Anticipating: Mary Skelter Finale, Undernauts, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, Astria Ascending

Barghesto
3 years ago#3
Thanks, that was rather helpful. Yeah, still only in Gen 1. My only question now is, what is considered a first tier skill? The wiki doesn't seem to indicate which is which, as far as that goes.

sleeping0dragon
3 years ago#4
Fyuria: As much as I like her as a character, she's not really good in battle. Knife users in this game aren't very good in the first place. Knives in general aren't strong physically and most knife users are built as physical/mage hybrids which don't work well at all. Between physical and magic, she actually excels more on the magic side. Her str is only D rank while her Int is B Rank. She even eventually learns Unleash Magic. But even with all of that, she's still outclassed by other pure mages. You can also build her as a physical attacker (like I did), but she'll still be a mediocre physical attacker sadly. Her Anger Willpower will help in that regards, but it's no Desperate Strength. Her Vit is pretty bad too. The one thing she excels in is her speed, but that's one of the least important stat in this game. Well, if you do intend to stick with her throughout the entire game, she will need a lot of work. She was part of my final team in my last playthrough so she's usable.

Zerva: I don't use very often, but he's not that good either. Similar to knife users, scythe users are hybrids as well, but generally have better atk/int stats, especially int. With an A rank in Int, he's pretty decent for a mage when it comes to damage, but he's still outclassed by pure mages. He does get Critical Break, but no Magic Barrier and nothing much else. His innate slots don't combo well by themselves I think and would require to team up with somebody for good spells. Of the three scythe users, he's the worst, but it still usable.

Winfield: He's pretty mediocre for most of the game. Gun users are physical attackers, but aren't that strong. He is the weakest of the three gun users, but with his Willpower Last Power, he can actually do more damage. However, he learns it really late at lv67. Until he learns it, he's a mediocre character with mediocre stats. The best part about him early on is that he's the only one you'll have access to a skill that can steal rare items. Not sure if that makes him much better though.

Elaine: She's surprisingly bad. Her stats are pretty terrible for a physical attacker. Only Rank C in Str and Vit and D for the rest of her stats. Her Willpowers aren't useful other than Genius. However, without Desperate Strength or Anger, she'll always be on the weaker side.

Luana: She's a breaker user which in this game, are pretty bad too. Breakers users are also hybrid types, but on the lower spectrum in my opinion. As for Luana herself, I don't have much to say about her other than her only good Willpower is Energy. She has two accuracy related ones, but these will only be very useful endgame. She also could steal rare items too, but requires her lv2 Extra Skill. It's costly compared to Winfield's Lv1.

I think that's it for 1st. FYI though, my 5 out of 6 final party members were Leo, Ellis, Vira-Lorr, Fyuria, and Winfield.

Final tip, invest in Vit a lot early on. A character's HP increase on lv up depends on your Vit. The more Vit you have, the more your HP will increase at lv up. If you don't invest in Vit early, then you'll find yourself getting killed rather quickly later on. How much depends on the characters. Warrior types will be able to increase it a lot easily, but for mages, I wouldn't go overboard on them. Most mages Vit are ranked D or E which will be costly to increase.
Anticipating: Mary Skelter Finale, Undernauts, Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, Astria Ascending

sleeping0dragon
3 years ago#5
The 1st 28 skills are the tier one skills. You should be able to make all of them at this point. The exceptions are some of the dark/light/extra type skills. They are pretty much tier one too, but requires components that are not accessible early on.

Use this for combination attacks formulas:

http://agarest.wikia.com/wiki/Combination_Attacks

With those two wikis, you should be good to go for skill related stuff.

sleeping0dragon
3 years ago#6
Since I brought up Stat distributions, here's another tip.

Vit is what you want to invest in the most early on for the reasons stated above. You don't have to use all of your stat points on it each time you level up, I recommend most of it.

Str/Int: Second priority goes to these. Obviously you need to be strong enough to deal good damage. If physical attacker, go Str, if Mage, go Int. Don't do the reverse like putting Str for Mages.

As for the rest, they aren't very important so I wouldn't bother with them. The exception is Agi, but only for one person on your team generally. As long as you have one fast person on the team, have everybody link to them in the beginning and you can start your team assault before the enemy. It's nice to have several fast people too, but it's not really required.

Barghesto
3 years ago#7
Thanks again, looks like I got some work cut out for me. Gotta find weapons or make weapons that can use some of these skills, too.
  1. Boards
  2. Record of Agarest War
  3. Skill and equipment crafting help
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A