• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Lair
  3. If Anyone Purchased, Give Us Your Thoughts?

User Info: turk173

turk173
9 years ago#1
I'm trying to figure out if it's worth $8 to get this. I know the game already but am curious about the video quality and framerate. Thanks.

User Info: CPFace

CPFace
9 years ago#2
Preliminary impressions, based on one game of Arcade Mode:

I'm pretty sure I love it. I was reluctant to buy this version because I was worried about the downsizing they'd need to do for DSiWare, plus I just bought the iPhone version, so I was a little worried about it, but I think this may become my favorite version of the game.

The video quality took a hit. It looks compressed. Going from the iPhone version to this version, yeah, it just doesn't look as good. And so far, I've noticed a couple seconds of non-gameplay video have been cut. For instance, in the Underground River sequence, you see Dirk fall into the boat, you don't see the "Ye Boulders" sign, and then everything else is there. I don't consider it a big deal, but the purist in me kinda cringes at little things like that.

But! But but BUT! It's still very watchable and very playable. I prefer this version to the iPhone version for a number of reasons.

First, the more precise controls. D-pad and buttons are superior to software buttons, and they don't take up any real estate on the screen.

Second, the dual-screen nature. One screen shows the game, the other screen shows score, lives, and the title of the scene you're playing. And you can go into Options to pick which screen you want it to be. It just feels more like the arcade, y'know?

Third, ZERO LOAD TIMES. One thing I noticed in the iPhone version is this slight hiccup and fade to black whenever there's a scene transition. It's almost jarring to play a version of Dragon's Lair where the scenes flow so smoothly.

Fourth, sleep mode. Putting your iPhone to sleep quits the game, but closing your DSi lets you continue the game later.

And, finally, the Attract Mode plays automatically as you're navigating the menus. :D

You get exactly the same options that the iPhone version had. You can play Arcade or Home versions, set your number of lives (3, 5, or infinite), and set difficulty.

All in all, it's a lovely little package. I'm glad to have it, but then I'm a die-hard Dragon's Lair fan. Your mileage may vary.
Visit this link to be bitten by a werewolf:
http://world6.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=114199780

User Info: Ganon24

Ganon24
9 years ago#3
Since you seem to be a die-hard Drahon's Lair fan, which version do you think is the best? I have never played any, but from about 20 minutes of research it looks like the best looking version is the Blu-Ray version, but I wasn't sure if it's the best version gameplay-wise. I've been leaning towards getting that version to use on my PS3. I'm not sure if there is a Wii version, I'd consider that if it plays better. What do you think?
Wii-DSi-PS3-PSP2k-GBASP-XBox-DC-N64-Saturn-Genesis-SNES-NES
Top15: EB-CT-Sonic-Zelda-RE-MGear-KH-Mario-FF-Lufia-SSB-MIsland-SoRage-SoArcadia-SHill

Ganon24
9 years ago#4
Dragon's* not Drahon, lol sorry.
Top15: EB-CT-Sonic-Zelda-RE-MGear-KH-Mario-FF-Lufia-SSB-MIsland-SoRage-SoArcadia-SHill

User Info: NeoGutsman

NeoGutsman
9 years ago#5
Those are great impressions, CPFace! Thanks! I remember playing the Commodore Amiga version time and again back in high school, as well as playing it in the arcades when it first appeared. Ah, I miss those days!

I'm a little tight on money right now, but I'll probably buy this after next week's payday.

By the way, Dragon's Lair for the GameBoy Color is actually quite a little marvel, too. I recommend picking it up if anyone's curious about how a game like this can get crammed into a GBC cartridge. Just make sure you're not buying the NA GameBoy "Dragon's Lair" game, which is actually a reskin of a UK platformer game that has nothing to do with this series.

Tis the journey, not the destination.

CPFace
9 years ago#6
The GBC version was actually the first version I ever played. And yes, it is in fact magical. :D Despite the lower quality of video and a lot of abbreviated scenes, it really captured my heart and made me interested in the various versions and conversions Dragon's Lair has gone through over the years.

What's the best version of Dragon's Lair to buy? This one's my favorite for arcade authenticity:

http://www.digitalleisure.com/contents/pcCDRom_games.htm#dlArcade

I can't speak for the BluRay version, because I don't have a BluRay player, but I have the 20th Anniversary DVD Video version, and I don't think it's particularly playable; it's more interesting as something to watch, and to see some of the lost footage from the game.

Portable versions are probably a tossup between DSi and iPhone. They both have strengths and weaknesses, and you would do well with either one. Pick the version for the system you use more often.

Ganon24
9 years ago#7
Thanks for the info :)

CPFace
9 years ago#8
Hey, I was wrong! All of the video is included in this version.

I was mixed up because the actual arcade version of Dragon's Lair skipped over some of the footage that was on the disc, and I've never seen a recreation of the arcade game that even went so far as to shave out seconds of footage from the middle of the video clips. Certainly the iPhone version doesn't do this. I'm guessing most porters just figured it was more trouble than it was worth to try and splice out that footage.

Anyway, yeah, if you play the Home Version, all of the video appears. Nice. :D

Also, this game uses the mobiclip video codec, so if you're curious about the video quality, that's the one. A lot of DS games use it, such as Professor Layton, so that should give you a fair idea of how the game looks.

User Info: sinsalaca

sinsalaca
9 years ago#9

Is is true that littel things like the panels flashing to show you where to move are gone? It has been a while since I played so I know I will not remember everything. I read in a review that this was one of the things they had to remove in moving it to the DS. Not really a big deal, but it seems like it makes a game that was already based on trial and error and ratched it up a notch or two by removing this feature especially for those who will get the game for the first time.

User Info: j_darrell

j_darrell
9 years ago#10
There's still some flashing panels.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon's Lair
  3. If Anyone Purchased, Give Us Your Thoughts?
  • Topic Archived