• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. College Hoops 2K8
  3. recruiting is crazy

User Info: spike_1218

spike_1218
12 years ago#1
i had 8 scholarships available one year and i had eight out of the top thirty recruits interest rates up to 100%. i offered them all scholarships and none of them signed with me. and the funny thing was that the majority of the recruits were all from the state my school is in. (UK) how do you stop this from happening? or am i just doomed to have an entire team of juco players?
What is something clever I can put here??

User Info: mgbasketball

mgbasketball
12 years ago#2
yeah, same thing happened with me. I had just won a national championship with UNC. 7 players had 100 % interest and not one would sign with me. WTH!
The ßest-Planned 500+ Topic Ever (Feb 1st) 148 signed so far!
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=570526

User Info: smell_myballs

smell_myballs
12 years ago#3
probably because you have to do ABL..not sure though

User Info: mgbasketball

mgbasketball
12 years ago#4
you have to play through the games? WOW that's stupid
The ßest-Planned 500+ Topic Ever (Feb 1st) 148 signed so far!
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=570526

User Info: s0ni42

s0ni42
12 years ago#5
we've finished 4 careers on 2k8 thus far. Here are some of my tips
1) Found that Charisma and Teaching are the two best recruiting tools. Teaching may be the better than charisma...still testing

2) Unless your #1, maybe close 2nd or 3rd, on a top 10/20 player's list, do NOT waste your time.

3) Understand: Recruiting is definately harder and more nationaly balanced than any previous version.

*4) Try and go for guys that you can be the first team to offer them a schol. For instance, The top 2 players at each position generally will get multiple schol. offers as early as possible. However, the third or fourth best player at each position often will not get loaded up with offers.

5) ABL and recruiting kids before their senior year has little or no advantage that i have found. So much differs from year to year.

6) USE THE TARGET LIST! Keep an additional recuiter on staff, and keep two lower rated players for each player you offer as backup optionon your targe list as insurance for not signing your top players.

NOTE:4 Star U.S. players are almost always better than 5 star JUCO. Therefore if you keep a couple of backup options for you 5 stars, you can fall back on the 4 stars, that should not have many if any offers early in the recruiting process.

User Info: lambman1974

lambman1974
11 years ago#6
In the end 100% Interest doesn't mean much. The bottom line is you want to be at the top of their list.

Here's a few of my own recruiting tips:

I typically only target the recruits where I am even with the other schools or maybe a little behind. If he's already 90% interested in someone and you are at 75%, don't waste your time. You can't make up that difference before they sign with the other school. The only exception to this is if it's late in the game and a recruit hasn't been offered a scholarship. Go after them until they are, but once that happens, remove them from you target list and move on.

Examine the schools you're competing against and the recruits priorities so you know when not to waste your time. For example, if a four star recruits #1 priority is he wants to play for a big school you're not going to stand a chance if you're in a Mid-Major school going up against Duke. On the other hand, if a four star is in your MUN's #1 is to play close to home, you have a much better shot.

The schools on top of the recruits interest list are a good indication of what their priorities are even before you've discover them. Are they all local schools? Are they all big schools? Use this to help identify who you should go after.

Work your target list. Identify the top 15 targets you have a shot with, prioritize by who you have the best chance of signing and spend the recruit points on them. This is the most crucial part of recruting because you will only really have the opportunity to wine/dine 4-5 key guys at a time! The moment one of them falls out of love with you or in love with someone else, drop them and find another to replace them. Please don't waste your time calling every recruit out there just because you have the available points! You will end up hating this game!

If you're recruiting the crap out of someone (visits, calls, etc) and another school passes you on their interest rankings, it's time to switch gears and find someone else because you've already lost. Fight the battles you can win. But, on the other hand, if it's still close and his priorities line up in your favor, swing for the fences.

You don't have to use all your scholarships! It's okay to let some of them roll over to the next year. You want quality, not quantity. Especially if you already have a fairly good roster or you made some good signings. You can get by with 7-8 quality players and some players can cross over and play other positions for you (PG/SG, SG/SF, PF/C). Don't go slumming. Especially keeping in mind that if you have no PG on your roster, it's going to make you that much more attractive to the PG recruits looking for playing time..

Pick your jobs carefully. Bigger schools mean better recruits, but it's location, location, location! Major metro areas are the way to go. You will find many more recruits coming out of NY city than Tulsa.

In my opinion playing the ABL games is a waste of time. I shortened the games to 1 min halves and it still was tedious (especially with the intentional fouling). Sure, you get 40 points a game if you play them through, but 40*20=800 bonus points roughly. It might make sense when you are a Mid-Major school, but when you get to a bigger school with more recruiting points to throw around just simulate the games. Typically coaches time is much more limiting than the amount of recruiting points your school has. The one thing you can use the ABL for is to get stats on your target list. Scroll through the ABL games until you find one of your targets playing, simulate the game and magically some of their stats will be revealed...

Hope that helps!

User Info: HailtoHart20

HailtoHart20
11 years ago#7
it happens at times to me too but u dont need abl i dont play it and i had like the number 5 recruit 2 years ago and the number 3 recruit this year and im goin to get 2 in the top 30 this year.... i am north caroline cuz i worked my way there in my career but one way to help stop this is get good charisma like my coach does

User Info: younglink123

younglink123
11 years ago#8
Where do you guys find out all this information about the recruits like what their priorities are or what their interest level is in other schools?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.
Don't look back. You can never look back.

User Info: spike_1218

spike_1218
11 years ago#9
press right thumb stick and when it says their stats (shooting, rebounding, etc) press LB or RB. you should be able to find everything you need. and thanks for the help everybody. it helped me out but i am still having some problems landing the recruit that i want but overall it has been easier. thanks guys.
What is something clever I can put here??

User Info: lambman1974

lambman1974
11 years ago#10
I know what you mean. Unfortunately, this game makes it hard to target one recruit and get them. It's more along the lines of you find out whose most interested in your school, who you have a shot at and you choose the best available from among them. Sometimes the number one recruit is going to be interested in your school, but not every year. I'd love to date Angelina Jolie, for example, but I'm not going to hold my breath waiting for her call..

One more thing about Interest level. Don't ignore someone who has a low interest, that may just mean they have 'Feeling Wanted' as their number one or two preference. Ironically, these recruits are some of the easiest to get because you just have to make sure you keep spending the max points on them each week. If you are about even with the other schools, then go for it. 'Feeling Wanted' recruits' interest level raise very fast. He may start the year at 60% interest, but he will sign with whoever kisses his butt the most by the midseason. This is also the ideal situation for 'over-chicking' (getting a recruit that's normally out of your league).

Pay close attention to your scheduling. The computer assigns the schedule at the start of the season, but you can edit it. If you want to use all your available recruiting points before the first signing period, make sure your coaches have the available time. I wouldn't schedule more than one game a week in the early season. If you delete these games, you can always add them back after the signing period (when you have less recruiting points to spend anyway). TIP: If you don't like removing those early games, a cool trick is to use tourneys. Tourneys only factor into coaches time as ONE game (the second & third round games that appear do not). You can use up to two a year.

BUG ALERT: If possible, never schedule games on Sundays. You'll notice if you have a game scheduled for a Sunday, this game WILL NOT ALLOW YOU TO TRAVEL that week (no visits, no scouting trips). This can be extremely annoying when you're in a close recruiting race with another school. You can't move conference games, so you just have to bite the bullet, but you can move those early season games which are the most crucial, as most of the five star recruits sign by the first signing period. Also, you can do 'campus visits' during these weeks, however, so keep that in mind.
  1. Boards
  2. College Hoops 2K8
  3. recruiting is crazy
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers