• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
  3. I've been going back and forth on if I liked 5-5... (Major series SPOILERS)

User Info: OrfeasD

OrfeasD
3 years ago#1
So it's safe to say that the reveal of 5-5 is a series first. I mean, in past cases we've either expected to see someone we know as the killer or take down the bad guys that we already knew were the bad guys.
All our effort, though, based on exposing them.
But in 5-5, no one gets exposed as the Phantom. It's just that, a Phantom.

I've been thinking that the Phantom is much weaker as a villain when compared to Engarde, von Karma or Godot but as a means of storytelling it could be right there at the top.

First of all, I'm ecstatic that Yuri Cosmos wasn't the Phantom. If he was I'd be extremely disappointed.
There's been a pattern in AA games with powerful dudes being IT so when I saw Means I immediately knew.

But 5-5 was more than a case of who done it. It was about identity. I loved that the killer didn't even know who he was and as punishment he didn't even get the redemption of being exposed. He'll never know his true self and we won't either. Also, it wasn't without swerve as Fulbright as The Phantom was something not many can claim to have known beforehand.

And I was going back and forth on whether it should have been Fulbright himself as the villain but when you think about it, using Fulbright's personality to commit such heinous crimes is definitely poetic from The Phantom's standpoint, since his portrayal of Fulbright would be as close to reality as possible.

Also, on the subject of identity, it really hit me hard when Cosmos was looking all dejected and said
"Can I pick up my medals? I'm nothing without them"
Really set the pace for the Phantom imo.

So all in all, while I don't hope for something simillar in the next games, I really enjoyed The Phantom as main villain. When you think you've figured out PW, it literally gives you a turnabout and that's something not a good many games can do anymore.
The Vitruvius Misanthrope.
I hate you but I do it quite splendidly!

User Info: cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel
3 years ago#2
I never ever ever expected it would turn to Bobby Fullbright. When it was first suggested, I didn't think it would end with him as the villain.

I actually didn't want Bobby to be the villain.

Similarly I thought it possible Professor Means wasn't the villain of his case either simply because it was too obvious.

I actually thought that Clay Terran was the spy from 7 years ago and Aura Blackquill was the one who killed him in revenge, but then the hostage situation wouldn't make sense. Also remember that Aura said she didn't like emotions, earlier.

I didn't want Bobby to lose cause he was such a happy go lucky guy, especially seeing him gleefully wave from the window of the art block in Case 3. The guy's like Inspector Gadget.

It's a shame the real Bobby died over a year ago!
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted him as lord and savior, and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
PSN: Hajikelist009 NNID: cwjakesteel Mii: Cal

User Info: OrfeasD

OrfeasD
3 years ago#3
Yeah it's really sad when it hits you that the real Fulbright is dead. I think he was probably based on Inspector Gadget too.
It's weird playing the DLC after 5-5
The Vitruvius Misanthrope.
I hate you but I do it quite splendidly!

User Info: cwjakesteel

cwjakesteel
3 years ago#4
OrfeasD posted...
Yeah it's really sad when it hits you that the real Fulbright is dead. I think he was probably based on Inspector Gadget too.
It's weird playing the DLC after 5-5

Yea. I kind of wish I played the DLC after Case 1. Cause the story loses all the information we get from the 5 cases that we've been through.
If you believe in Jesus Christ, have accepted him as lord and savior, and are 100% proud, put this in your sig.
PSN: Hajikelist009 NNID: cwjakesteel Mii: Cal
  1. Boards
  2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
  3. I've been going back and forth on if I liked 5-5... (Major series SPOILERS)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A