• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
  3. Latecomer just finishing the game (Spoilers)

User Info: Mavsynchroid10

Mavsynchroid10
4 years ago#1
Hey folks. Recently got into the AA series and have fallen in love with it, burning through all the games in a marathon. Just finished DD, leaving me with the PL crossover left.

Anyway, about Dual Destinies.. While I absolutely loved how it looked.. Did anyone else think this was a shallow AA game?..

It just seemed like it held your hand the entire time. In the old AA games, you could examine every scene. Sure, there were times where I would get stuck and annoyed, but I honestly would have preferred that over the hand holding going on in this game. I mean, half the time the characters "thoughts" would shove in your face which item to present at which time, whether while investigating or in court. Feel like those lines of text in blue giving you the ridiculous hints at which evidence you need to present should have been an option you could turn on or off.

Also, half the time you finished what you were doing at one area, your partner at the time would say something like "Let's head over to here next!" and the screen would go dark and you'd end up there without haven done anything. Just more hand holding. You were always told what to do at every turn. You even had that "Notes" section that literally told you what to do next. I liked figuring out who I need to talk to next, and what would make the story progress on my own.

I read in another thread someone saying the game play and what not is just a vehicle for them to tell the game's story, but I don't agree. I think what makes these games great is figuring things out on your own. Sure, even the original games weren't INCREDIBLY hard, but it at least took some thought at certain times.

Also... I could be wrong, but I don't think even one episode made it to the third trial day. Most of them even were just 1 day trials (unless I'm remembering wrong). I wonder if it's because they chose to do it in 3D, thus not wanting to put the extra effort into it.

Lastly, the mechanics of Athena, Apollo, and even the ending in each trial where you go into the character's head and put everything about the case together had absolutely no penalties!! Thus, when it really mattered, you literally couldn't lose.

I dunno.. I mean, I loved seeing Pearly and Edgeworth, but I just felt like the game itself was... well... bad. Don't get me wrong, I'm still absolutely pumped for the new game and I love this series as a whole.. I guess after just finishing the game, i wanted to share my disappointment with fellow fans of the series, late to the game or not.

P.S. No Maya!?!? What a farce!!! More seriously though.. No mention of Apollo and Trucy's connection?.. Or Trucy's real feelings that were hinted at at the very end of Apollo Justice's game?.. Sometimes feels like this series just ignores what's happened in other games in the series to tell new stories.. I don't mind that... but don't leave enticing loose threads!!
  1. Boards
  2. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies
  3. Latecomer just finishing the game (Spoilers)
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A