• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
  3. How does this game compare in difficulty and play style to Age of Empires 2??

User Info: Captain_Lorelli

Captain_Lorelli
9 years ago#1

I have never played Starcraft before, but will be diving into SC2 in 10 days. I loved AoE2 and I was just wondering how the gameplay and the difficulty of SC2 is compared to it. I know practice makes perfect as far as the ladder system works, ut will i like SC2 if i liked AoE2? Any insight would be great, thanks.

User Info: Venton

Venton
9 years ago#2
^anoter aoe2 fan ftw

this game you do have to macro enough, but still never as much as AoE2. That was such a legit complex game. I personally loved both, so thats my 2 cents
Currently Playing: Starcraft 2 beta, Monster Hunter Tri, Runes of Magic

User Info: Nasty_Nate_86

Nasty_Nate_86
9 years ago#3
Gameplay is way different and difficulty is entirely on you (what calibur player your playing), though its getting harder and harder since people are getting better. But if u like good games youll like starcraft 2.
Remember, zerglings are more scared of you than you are of them.

User Info: AdFwee

AdFwee
9 years ago#4
AoE2, i dont have that but I have AoE3 and it is similar to starcraft 1, i actually got AoE3 after starcraft 1 and the transition was not that hard. I know you're commin from the oposite direction but I think you will be okay.
"Never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes, because then you're a mile away with a pair of free shoes."

User Info: headlesshead

headlesshead
9 years ago#5
I used to love AoE2 until I played SC, it's much faster with a more streamlined tech tree and gathering system. But it is in the same vein of RTS as AoE. Honestly, if you like AoE you'll probably also like SC.
Beauty and the Beast, because who doesn't want to see a movie about Stockholm's Syndrome and Bestiality.

User Info: Polis4rules

Polis4rules
9 years ago#6
more micro
Gamertag: KumfyKittyKlub
"So long as there are men will there be wars."

User Info: Captain_Lorelli

Captain_Lorelli
9 years ago#7

Thanks for the replies guys. Anyways how long do typical match games last on average? Coming from Age of Empires some games could last hours, which i know is not the case here. I will be playing mostly 2vs2. I heard most 1vs1 matches last 20 - 30 min on average, but not sure abouts 2vs2.

User Info: Shatteredsunlol

Shatteredsunlol
9 years ago#8
Unfortunately, you can't just spam 1000 paladins/teutonic knights/chukonus in SC2, and the flimsiest of houses don't take 2 minutes of pounding by an entire army.

I like AoE's resource system though, not so much on the massive villager counts.
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Frostmourne&cn=Shatteredsun

User Info: drifter22

drifter22
9 years ago#9
AoE2 FTW

Did you guys ever play the custom maps? Those were the bomb, like Tower of Kings and etc. Good times

In any case i feel SC2 is much faster than AoE2, and as has been mentioned before; less macro and much more micro.

Sadly no Trebuchets :( although you have Seige tanks, but they're meh compared to Trebs :D

User Info: Pirwzwhomper

Pirwzwhomper
9 years ago#10
I really loved early game AoE2 with cavemen and hunting elephants, etc. An RTS of just that I'd go gaga over.
(^_^) <-- the Prophet Mohammad // APM is SC2's GearScore
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v39/Pirwzwhomper/C-Hheh.jpg
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
  3. How does this game compare in difficulty and play style to Age of Empires 2??
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers