• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
  3. Anyone ever noticed the moniters Korea players use?

User Info: InfernoTurtle

InfernoTurtle
13 years ago#1
Why are they still using those 90s moniters that are HUGE. I almost feel bad that they have to lug those around every time they go to a match. Aren't the pros sponsored and paid?
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening

User Info: CraZyDaVey31

CraZyDaVey31
13 years ago#2
It's probably because they have zero response time. It may seem very trivial to use old monitors simply because of that, but we're talking about professional play where if you have the ability to play with zero response time, why not?
Your drill is the drill that will pierce the HEAVENS!
GT: Changsta31

User Info: parrot_of_adun

parrot_of_adun
13 years ago#3
CRT monitors are also simply much higher quality (image wise).

Flat screens are only convenient, not better. They still make CRTs, many.
Save a kill spell to deal with this guy.

User Info: InfernoTurtle

InfernoTurtle
13 years ago#4
Ah, I didn't know that. I always assumed the "new" monitors were better in every way.
Currently playing: Fire Emblem: Awakening

parrot_of_adun
13 years ago#5
Well, yeah, there is a flatpanel equivelent for some of the highest quality availible, but you can most easily find good quality with CRTs (and much cheaper).

Flatpanels usually have much worse image quality, and have a response time (CRT = instantaneous). And all that HD crap means nothing, it's just high res.

User Info: xXxVikingxXx

xXxVikingxXx
13 years ago#6
No its has nothing to do with "zero response time" it is beacuse as "pro" gamers they can't afford nice things.
If at any time you find yourself losing, stop losing and start winning. Also, if the opponent is ever winning, start making him lose.-Emevas

User Info: jepaan

jepaan
13 years ago#7
CRTs doesn't have zero response time, it's just lower than the typical LCD. You can easily get LCD who can respond quickly enough so it's the eye that limits.
-

User Info: CraZyDaVey31

CraZyDaVey31
13 years ago#8
CRTs doesn't have zero response time, it's just lower than the typical LCD. You can easily get LCD who can respond quickly enough so it's the eye that limits.

Well, this is true. But I guess back then when SC became popular, LCD monitors still had high response times (as high as 50 ms even) so the obvious choice was the CRT. Nowadays, you can get LCD monitors that are 12-16 ms and even lower, but I guess they just never bothered with the change. In terms of gaming, LCD provides no advantage over CRT while it could even be far inferior in some older LCD monitors.

This article explains the differences between LCD and CRT.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/Consumer-Advice/LCD_vs_CRT/
Your drill is the drill that will pierce the HEAVENS!
GT: Changsta31

User Info: TheReaper2491

TheReaper2491
13 years ago#9
This article explains the differences between LCD and CRT.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/articles/Consumer-Advice/LCD_vs_CRT/

So, basically, new LCD monitors are almost totally superior to any CRT monitor now. 12MS response time is more than enough. The only thing CRT has over LCD is color purity, which is unimportant for gamers.

parrot_of_adun
13 years ago#10
I still prefer it.

For TV however, CRTs are just lame...
  1. Boards
  2. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty
  3. Anyone ever noticed the moniters Korea players use?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A