You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Second Evolution
  3. Thinking of replaying this and First Departure. Got a few questions.

User Info: MagnumMagnet

MagnumMagnet
1 month ago#1
It's been ages since I've played either of these games, so I don't remember a whole lot about them. Sorry if these are questions that get asked a lot.

==

First off, in SO1, I've decided I want my party to contain Cyuss, Phia, and Pericci. Cyuss and Phia because I like them, and Pericci becuase I think I remember that recruiting her is the only way to obtain any sort of mode of transportation besides walking. That leaves one open slot for another optional character. Who are my options for filling that slot?

==

Also in SO1, I think I remember hearing that Roddick has some super-OP ultimate moves he can learn, but I don't think I ever figured out how to get them. Could someone tell me if that's true or not, and how exactly you do get them if true? (And could you recommend a good guide for secrets and missables in general, for both SO1 and SO2?)

==

In SO2, I've decided I want my party to contain Ashton and Precis, because I like them. That leaves a whopping four character slots I can fill, but I don't know who I would want to fill them with. What are my options, and what are some suggestions you guys would have?

==

For both games, could someone recommend some good guides for getting the endings I want? I remember being strongly dissatisfied with the endings I've gotten in the past, and I'd like to try and get some more satisfying ones this time around.

User Info: Dynedux

Dynedux
1 month ago#2
As for the SO2 questions (been too long since I played 1 so I don't remember)

If you snatch Ashton I'm pretty sure you can grab literally every remaining character available in that play through... I think. Either way though, decline Noel because he is ass.

Pretty sure there's an ending guide for SO2 in the PSX version of the game in the FAQs section.
The idea of "doxxing" is idiotic. Why should anyone be able to hide behind the anonymity of the internet?-AndreLeGeant

MagnumMagnet
1 month ago#3
I did a bit of looking around, and correct me if I'm wrong, but if I want Ashton and Precis in SO2, then if I want to fill out the rest of my party, I have to take Celine, Leon/Dias, Noel, and Chisato, right?

I still don't know who I would want my fourth character in SO1 to be. Maybe Ioshua, but is it possible to get him and NOT get Mavelle too?

Are the endings in SO2 the same in the PSP version as the PS1 version? The PSP version didn't add any new ones, did it? And as for SO1, I've searched around, but I can't seem to find any sort of ending guide for that game. I've heard that SO1 and SO2 both have endings where the party reunites at the end. I never got those endings, and I'd really like to this time around.

User Info: Modifier

Modifier
4 weeks ago#4
I advise getting Bowman instead of Precis. He's much better.
Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

MagnumMagnet
4 weeks ago#5
I like Precis though. It's not like I need the most "optimal" party possible though, right? It's been ages since I played, but I don't recall the game being particularly difficult.

Also, could somebody please answer my questions from my previous post? I really want to start playing SO1, but I would like to have my questions answered first. I know that Star Ocean is one of those cryptic game series where you can permanently miss out on stuff if you don't read a guide and plan ahead. I would really like to know how to get specific endings.

User Info: FoxyAreku

FoxyAreku
4 weeks ago#6
Bowman vs Precis is mostly preference. Both of them are good. And yes, if you get Ashton you will have room for everyone else you meet along the plot unless you get Welch, Welch will force you to give someone up much like Ernest does.

Ioshua is the best caster in the game and I would recommend him as your fourth, you will just have to do the optional dungeon near Sylvalant to kick Mavelle out but it doesn't take long really.

Though I wouldn't recruit Pericci for just the bunny transport, you get it so late that it barely matters, you'll use it like twice and having to backtrack to the first town to get her basically cancels it out. It's more of a minor perk than an actual reason for recruitment so if you like T'nique or Welch or Mavelle more I would just get them instead.

As for the "everyone" endings, you need to get everyones affection with everyone above 10 points if I recall correctly. This is very difficult to do without grinding hundreds of battles with each party member and then checking the debug room using cwcheat to see what it is, or just editing it in the debug room altogether, so I wouldn't really worry about it. Though you can spam the Publication super specialty a lot it's still a lot of work.

This board is pretty dead so if you have further questions about either game feel free to DM me.

@MagnumMagnet
http://www.youtube.com/c/foxyarekuandcanas
Check out my youtube for guides and gameplays.
(edited 4 weeks ago)
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Second Evolution
  3. Thinking of replaying this and First Departure. Got a few questions.