You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Second Evolution
  3. Party suggestions for both SO versions

User Info: loseless

loseless
2 months ago#1
Hello, guys

I played this version once and never really delved into it. I'm interested in playing both versions and I need suggestions about which characters to recruit.

There are some characters that might have become better or worse in this version and I would like to know in which ways so I can better decide who to recruit in which version of the game.

Any information about gear changes, KM changes and miscellaneous tips would be appreciated!

User Info: OmegaVideoGameG

OmegaVideoGameG
2 months ago#2
I just beat indalecio unlimited on universe mode, if you want my advice, rena, claude, dias, ashton, chisato, welch, are my mains.
My Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvAKSZj_4veP6V--pSoP61A
(edited 2 months ago)

User Info: Ryo_the_Inferno

Ryo_the_Inferno
2 months ago#3
All the characters are good.
Except Noel. Never get Noel.
3DS FC: 3222-6077-2683

User Info: loseless

loseless
2 months ago#4
I know, Noel sucks.

The thing is, I've read here and there that some characters were better on the original version (Ashton) and others got the better end of the stick. I just wanted to know which got better and which got worse so I could base who to use in which version.

User Info: Ryo_the_Inferno

Ryo_the_Inferno
2 months ago#5
loseless posted...
I know, Noel sucks.

The thing is, I've read here and there that some characters were better on the original version (Ashton) and others got the better end of the stick. I just wanted to know which got better and which got worse so I could base who to use in which version.

Fighters got a huge buff in Second Evolution with a 3 hit combo string. Fighters were always better than casters, but now they ridiculously outclass them. I honestly kind of hate the 3 hit combo string, because it makes a lot of killer moves almost useless. Why use a KM when you can do almost as much, or more, damage with just a 3 hit combo? There are some exceptions, Leaf Slash, Helm Splitter, Mole, and a few others are all still useful, just not for damage. Those moves are good for moving around the battle really quick.
3DS FC: 3222-6077-2683

User Info: DiogoShadowJorg

DiogoShadowJorg
1 month ago#6
Wonder if there's any way this game would get and editor of some kind so one could change character's stats or something to make Noel actually worth something.

Why use a KM when you can do almost as much, or more, damage with just a 3 hit combo? There are some exceptions, Leaf Slash, Helm Splitter, Mole, and a few others are all still useful, just not for damage. Those moves are good for moving around the battle really quick.

Actually there is still a reason why you should use one. Because after that 3 hit combo, you can use a KM/Special Arts right after by canceling the combo into one. So even if you don't have a multi hit killer move, it still adds a four hit to the combo and extra damage.
Right makes might! With divine blade in hand, I shall cleave you along with your sins!
FC: 3926-8239-0430
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: IneptZzz

IneptZzz
1 month ago#7
DiogoShadowJorg posted...
Actually there is still a reason why you should use one. Because after that 3 hit combo, you can use a KM/Special Arts right after by canceling the combo into one. So even if you don't have a multi hit killer move, it still adds a four hit to the combo and extra damage.

still a bad system/a change that was not needed, esp for any die hard fan of the original, also kills nostalgia it just feels wrong entirely and wasn't a fan of that dum change on the so1 remake either.

still get more benefit later on chaining km moves into one another, so again its pointless and just irks me its even in there.

which is why I still play the psx one given the choice, still prefer that version without all the other changes.

Anyways to the TC,

depends on what type of gameplay/style you want for your run through the game, also depends if you're doing any ''challenges''(restrictions put on yourself)

Claude
Great in all modes

Ashton
Good-Great (range and animation delay can be an issue sometimes, hence the split rating)

Dias
Avg-Good, "Bad" in universe mode (low hit skills, can't star spray)

Opera
Avg-Good, "Great" in universe mode (she's overkill for normal mode and wont put the time in creating her 3 KMs, but her range and utility is amazing for universe mode)

Precis
Good in all modes

Chisato
Good-Great with a certain weapon

Bowman
Great in all modes (just spam poison/explosion pills)

Rena
Great, benefits any team, can be swapped out for Opera though (depending)

Celine
Kind of useless, buffs don't matter much

Leon
The best mage, only one with multi hit spell, but it does terrible damage unless you do that weird spell combining thing.

Noel
Useless

Welch
*cough* Useless

Teams I've ran:

picked up
Rena - Dias - Ashton - Precis - Celine - Noel - Claude

used mainly
Rena + Claude + Dias + Ashton
for fun, Precis

picked up
Claude - Opera - Bowman - Leon - Ernest - Chisato - Celine - Rena

used mainly
Claude + Opera + Bowman + Chisato
for fun, Leon/Ernest

User Info: FoxyAreku

FoxyAreku
1 month ago#8
Every character is useful for different things and you should get whatever character you feel like using in that particular run on both versions.

Celine makes the early game a lot easier with laser beams and starlight which can really help less experienced players and should always be recommended to those who haven't beaten the game before.

Leon has a good spell list, and the best regular attack in the game even if he can't combo in second evolution.

Noel has comparable healing to Rena with better offensive spells, Rena just learns the higher-end heal spells a bit sooner. Also if combined with Leon you can destroy the mid-late part of the story by just mixing acid rain with earth grave (this only works in the PS1 version, however).

Ernest is probably the weakest of the fighters, but his range can still be pretty useful since he gets hit less due to it.

All the others not mentioned are good enough to not particularly hinder you no matter what in either version without any special strategies, though worth noting a lot of people consider Opera better than Ashton due to her ranged KMs and her ability to almost entirely replace Rena with a grinded Healing Star.
http://www.youtube.com/c/foxyarekuandcanas
Check out my youtube for guides and gameplays.
Actually Welch has some of the best normal attacks in the game, good gear options and skills/guts activation rate. She is just more technical than the rest of the fighters. Ernest is all around good except for his awkward gear options; he and Noel (yes, he is very underwhelming, but with a proper setup I found him operating very good with Rena and two fighters such as Claude and Precis) benefit the most from equipment found in the secret dungeon.
Control reality to make your life more entertaining:)
PSN ID: nisan_mudi
  1. Boards
  2. Star Ocean: Second Evolution
  3. Party suggestions for both SO versions