• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: VangelisReactor

VangelisReactor
1 month ago#1
I'm planning to play this version of the game for the first time. After reading through topics on this board and data on the ff wiki, I have a particular party setup in mind. Please rate it and also help me in assigning espers - I would be really grateful!

Vaan - Monk
Ashe - Breaker
Fran - Time Mage

Balthier - Shikari
Penelo - Red Mage
Basch - Uhlan
Control reality to make your life more entertaining:)
PSN ID: nisan_mudi
(edited 1 month ago)

User Info: Shadow_FF6

Shadow_FF6
1 month ago#2
I'm a fair amount out of practice, but I see a few problems with your teams.

First off, there's a shortage of healing here, and it's poorly divided. Shikari (and Uhlan to a lesser extent) make good Item Lore healers, but they're teamed up with the Red Mage. Monk and Time Mage learn some good healing... but it's somewhat scattershot. Time Mage does get Cura early on, but I wouldn't be super comfortable letting that hold me over until Monk learns Curaja. Although I guess you could skip side content and push straight forward to that point, which might make it work better.

But the other issue is that team one is a bit excessive on the breaking. With the right espers for Time Mage, you've got every break twice. Additionally, the damage output of that team is a little low (although, if you stack breaks...).

However, this is somewhat less of an issue if you don't go with a straight 'two teams' setup. Penelo could stick around as a healer in all parties, and only be swapped out when leveling up lagging team members in easier areas. You'd have extra choices of who would handle breaks as well. Personally, I disapprove of the "Two teams" approach to deciding jobs. I think it's best to think in terms of general roles. Two characters who can heal, two who can tank, and two who can focus on damage. The extra things they bring (Archers are worse healers but better attackers than White Mage, Uhlan does more damage at full health, while Bushi works best at low health) allow you to choose the party members to fit the situation. It keeps you more adaptable.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with thinking of what parties you'll usually form, but do leave open the option for one or two characters to be a niche character only used sometimes. It's okay to have a White Mage for boss fights only (although give that to Vaan, Fran or Balthier, so that they can steal in regular battles to be useful while gaining XP), for example. It's also okay to have a Black Mage just for the multi-target attacks, and put him away for most boss battles. This is an option open to you that is more apparent when you think of your six party members as swappable pieces, rather than as two rigid teams.

And lastly, Breaker is a weak class buoyed up only by the Break moves. I generally only recommend Breaker because of how compact it is. A tank class with all four breaks can fill a lot of important roles in your party for only one character. Since you already have Time Mage and Monk available for handling those, then you might as well swap out Breaker for Knight or Bushi. Knight would give much better healing coverage for the team and is just an all-around great class. Three off-healers in a single team is also quite useful, because you can pile on the heals from all three at once, or choose whom you take off their regular duties to heal the team, allowing you to remain flexible.

Granted, I haven't played in a while, and I'm tired, so take this all with a grain of salt.
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\

VangelisReactor
1 month ago#3
Thank you so much for advice. Would such job/character setup be better then?

Vaan - Monk
Ashe - Bushi
Fran - Red Mage
Balthier - White Mage
Penelo - Uhlan
Basch - Shikari

Does this look better? No party division in this case. Oh, and I really personally like the idea of Breaker, I guess that's just me. Also I've heard that by late game, Breakers are both tanks and dps masters. Then again, I still try to follow your ideas.
(edited 1 month ago)

VangelisReactor
1 month ago#4
Sorry for double post but I can't edit my previous post anymore - would Penelo be good as an Archer, with heavy armor? Or is Upland better for her, in case I don't want to make her a mage?

User Info: bomebohm

bomebohm
1 month ago#5
Does this look better? No party division in this case. Oh, and I really personally like the idea of Breaker, I guess that's just me. Also I've heard that by late game, Breakers are both tanks and dps masters. Then again, I still try to follow your ideas.

you already have a DPS bushi and also have breaks from monk; a breaker is quite redundant IMO.

Sorry for double post but I can't edit my previous post anymore - would Penelo be good as an Archer, with heavy armor? Or is Upland better for her, in case I don't want to make her a mage?

If your Penelo archer gets Shemhazai, then she can reach 99 Str. The same as Uhlan. But I am not sure about her spear 's animation time. (I am playing TZA 6 job-run only too and made Ashe as an archer)

User Info: Shadow_FF6

Shadow_FF6
4 weeks ago#6
Sorry, didn't notice this. Don't know if you've already made your party. Breakers actually have some of the worst DPS, from what I understand. This is not to say that it's terrible, or anything, but I just want to notice once again, that you only get a breaker on your team if you need breaks and a tank, all on one character. And Monk is a halfway decent tank on it's own, with the physical breaks.

With a Red Mage and White Mage, you got plenty of baseline healing. Monk provides good healing late game, and Uhlan and Shikari provide decent item lores as well. You don't need an Archer in that party, you've got your healing covered.

Overall, that's a solid enough party. Monk straddles the line between DPS and Tank, and Uhlan and Bushi have respectable survivability, while Red Mage has a shield. Only the White Mage herself is squishy, but Shikari can get him back on his feet real quick with a Phoenix Down, while having the survivabilty to keep it up. You do lack the Magic Breaks, but those are generally the worse ones, especially since your primary damage dealers against bosses are physical anyway (well, that's the case even with a Black Mage, honestly).
`/\ |\ | | \ `-|- `|_| |-_|) |-_`|` `|` |)
/--\ | \| | / ` | `|` | |_ |\ |_` |__| ` |\
  • Post New Message