• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
  3. Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) applies?

User Info: PenOfStone

PenOfStone
9 years ago#1
I have a question, when using the same type of move as the pokemon that you're using, do you still get a boost in attack like the mainstream games?
Don't put up decks that are incomplete or illegal for that matter with Crimson Crisis since this is a Tag Force 3 board. ~ Allegrah

User Info: Viro

Viro
9 years ago#2
yes
I, do, no,t, hav,e, a, c,o,m,m,a, p,ro,,,b,,l,em,,,,,
We do need to ignore that troll chtma653. ~gubbyred

PenOfStone
9 years ago#3
Ah, gotcha. That's why I did more damage with Water Gun when I was using Mudkip...
Don't put up decks that are incomplete or illegal for that matter with Crimson Crisis since this is a Tag Force 3 board. ~ Allegrah

User Info: Bomber_2

Bomber_2
9 years ago#4
It does?!? :D

btw, I kept thinking it was Same Type Advatage Bonus @_@
*USING DSi WEB BROWSER*
"I've been bored lately, so I started making Toast :D"

PenOfStone
9 years ago#5
I don't care what it stands for, like how FEAR has a bunch of meanings. Hehe.

User Info: Fire_Forever

Fire_Forever
9 years ago#6
STAB, weakness and resistance all apply, but the latter two are reduced in effect. Not sure if STAB is still x1.5 or not.
~Proud Pokemon Breeder~ Pearl FC: 2835 6571 7332

User Info: FatRatKnight

FatRatKnight
9 years ago#7
STAB is freakishly powerful, actually. Quite often, as a Grass-type, when given a choice between a Grass-type or a Normal-type attack against something like a Fire-type, I opt for the Grass-type attack. More often than not, I still see a higher damage number.

Now, throw in Adaptability... An Eevee I hatched, hovering around Lv40 now, can do more damage with tackles than my Lv74 Chikorita.

*In Mt. Bristle, 1F*
Escae, the Lv40 Eevee with 64 Attack, Tackles the random Spinarak for 138 damage. Escae then goes on to Tackle the local Doduo for 153 damage. Throw in a Machop, too! 157 damage against that one, as well! She's proving her strength already!

Meanwhile, a well-developed Lv74 Chikorita with 138 Sp.Atk sends a Magical Leaf to a Machop for 183 damage. The same Chikorita Tackles (w/ 155 Attack) another two Machops for 145 and 139 damage. Even with a 34 level and a 91 Attack advantage, the Chikorita doesn't match Escae's damage potential, as far as Normal-type moves go.

Various "not very effective" Magical Leaf attempts at the local Doduo averages over 150 damage, higher than the normally effective Tackle, somewhere in the 140 range, even with higher Attack than Sp.Atk.

I say STAB exists in this game, and is often more prominent than even type-effectiveness. Anyone here feel like trying out more tests to be sure?
Be specific when titling topics.
This topic's title is: Specific. Sometimes, it's best to try it out. Still good to ask, though!

User Info: majesticmystic

majesticmystic
9 years ago#8
According to UPC STAB is still 1.5x, Weakness (doesn't matter single or double) 1.7x, resistance (doesnt matter single or double) 0.5x, and "immunity" 0.25x (type only, levitate still lets you take zero damage from ground attacks for example).

I have no idea if it's correct, but it seems to be so I'll stick with it.
If declaring my opinion is akin to declaring war, then war I shall declare on the so-called veterans.
  1. Boards
  2. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time
  3. Same Type Attack Bonus (STAB) applies?
  • Topic Archived