• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Is it worth getting into this game?

User Info: Miharu

Miharu
4 weeks ago#1
My PC came with Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire for free, should I get sucked into this MMO or is it dead?
u probly think this is about u

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
4 weeks ago#2
Take this with the grain of salt that I no longer play the game but there is a reason that GW2 has stayed in the top 3 most played MMO's since it came out (it was #2 for a while but then XIV really took off with Realm Reborn). The game is truly one of the few that actively did its own thing in a unique way and the only reason that you will find anything like it is because others have long since copied its blueprints (usually not as good to boot). It blends some of the best visuals with the best gameplay and story, and it really stands leagues above anything else that isn't considered to be the literal top of MMO's. Its big flaws have always been that its lack of a gear treadmill and generally low difficulty for the original game's stuff has shoved it into the "this is the casual MMO" sort of affair. Where something like XIV has hundreds of hours that you need to sink any time they release something new unless you're interested in new skins and the like or want to do achievement hunting for the sake of it you really don't have more than ~20 hours any time an update happens worth of unique content. While it is definitely true that this really isn't too crazy in comparison to other MMOs this lack of a tangible reason to grind means that you have to be fine with creating your own fun. At least on the PvE side of things. PvP in GW2 is the best, bar none, an MMO has to offer and WvW definitely has enough depth for people who want to go at it for as long as they wish.

If you are fine with a more casual MMO than give it a shot. If you want an MMO that has more meaty requirements to get into end-game (at which point you have more "that thing, but even shinier!~") then you might consider something else. Regardless you might as well give it a shot. It's free and you can stop when you want to. And GW2 really doesn't hamstring you for not playing for extended times like is common with other MMOs if you decide to come back.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: Revocation68

Revocation68
4 weeks ago#3
Is it worth playing for PvE? Is there any content that presents a challenge?

I don't want the game to be ridiculously hard, but I don't like steam rolling through everything either

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
4 weeks ago#4
If you're used to action combat most everything won't be too hard. Things past the first game (ie. any expansion + the Living World stuff) tend to get harder over time but it's still a bit based on how good you are as to how much of a challenge you will get. Raids and Fractals are definitely able to kick your butt until you're good at the encounters, but I wouldn't say that they are necessarily the hardest that MMOs have to offer (I would put them a bit in the "middle of the pack" in terms of difficulty). If you aren't used to action combat, however, this game is going to beat you pretty hard no matter when you're talking about if you aren't getting carried through any piece of content. The best way to describe it is that people felt that it destroyed the concept of the trinity (tank, healer, DPS) because the requirements were so crazy way back when as action combat in MMOs wasn't really much of a thing. It also is a bit floaty compared to non-MMO action games, so there is definitely a learning curve there (though, frankly, it actually feels a lot better here than other games that I would describe as "floaty" and really works with how much mobility that the game is trying to push on you).
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Is it worth getting into this game?
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A