You have to buy both HoT and PoF to own both, correct?

You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. You have to buy both HoT and PoF to own both, correct?

User Info: DoubleJ9

DoubleJ9
1 month ago#1
A friend and I are considering coming back to GW, he keeps saying that if we buy Path of Fire that we'll also get Heart of Thorns. I don't think that is right. To have the content of both, you have to actually buy both, right?
XBL: The Maverick
PSN: v_Maverick_v

User Info: bjergmose

bjergmose
1 month ago#2
you are right.
it is only the basic game you get from bying one of the expansions
Its Nice to be Important But its more important to be Nice

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
1 month ago#3
There was a deal early on where if you bought PoF you could get HoT at a pretty good discount, but I don't know if they're still doing that. If you buy it through their store you can add HoT to your PoF purchase and see if you still get the discount.

But no, buying PoF does not automatically give you HoT.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: DoubleJ9

DoubleJ9
1 month ago#4
Thanks for the info. It looks like they have it where you can buy both for $50, so just $10 cheaper. Would you recommend getting both at the start, or just one first?
XBL: The Maverick
PSN: v_Maverick_v

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
1 month ago#5
DoubleJ9 posted...
Thanks for the info. It looks like they have it where you can buy both for $50, so just $10 cheaper. Would you recommend getting both at the start, or just one first?

There is no major advantage to getting them both immediately, as you cannot actually go to either until you hit 80 (at least, story and mastery-wise) with the disadvantage of not getting the discount. Getting neither is a notable disadvantage as you cannot learn Masteries without either, but that is not applicable here.

And I'd just say get both as the story continues through both (plus the Living Story updates) and it would be best to do them in order (with the possible exception of starting PoF for the quick raptor mount while skipping as much dialog as you can to avoid spoilers). PoF is definitely the better of the two, but there is still quite a bit of great content in HoT.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

User Info: Vyrulisse

Vyrulisse
2 weeks ago#6
If you can only get one right now I'd suggest Path of Fire for Mounts. You can use them throughout the game and they are pretty fun.
http://i.imgur.com/6VeX04D.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW_V1kG6mRc

User Info: darkhouse999

darkhouse999
2 weeks ago#7
Vyrulisse posted...
If you can only get one right now I'd suggest Path of Fire for Mounts. You can use them throughout the game and they are pretty fun.

This, also PoF is more forgiving to new or returning players than HoT is.
current PC, https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PKKv2R
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. You have to buy both HoT and PoF to own both, correct?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.