Worth coming here?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Worth coming here?

User Info: EDarien

EDarien
7 months ago#21
Thanks for the advice. I saw about Condi Reaper, but then was reading some message board, might have been official boards or Reddit, I honestly forget which, saying how condi Reaper is dead, but power Reaper still not strong enough compared to what condi Reaper used to be ... Being new, I just don't know the balance changes and all that.

I do appreciate the advice, though. Until I unlcok all of Reaper and at least get part way into Scourge to see how it plays and what I'll actually be maining. I'm sure that'll happen as I go through HoT, though, since I'll likely get enough Hero Points as I'm going through it.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14

User Info: Vyrulisse

Vyrulisse
7 months ago#22
One thing about Necromancer players on Reddit or the Official Forums is that they are very negative about the class and tend to exaggerate. Necromancer is not at the top but it's not bad either. I use mine in Tier 4 Fractals just fine for example and open world I feel like a god.

It's almost a meme at this point to say Necromancer is a dead class.
http://i.imgur.com/6VeX04D.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QYvqDr7kCo

User Info: ellis123

ellis123
7 months ago#23
EDarien posted...
Thanks for the advice. I saw about Condi Reaper, but then was reading some message board, might have been official boards or Reddit, I honestly forget which, saying how condi Reaper is dead, but power Reaper still not strong enough compared to what condi Reaper used to be ... Being new, I just don't know the balance changes and all that.

I do appreciate the advice, though. Until I unlcok all of Reaper and at least get part way into Scourge to see how it plays and what I'll actually be maining. I'm sure that'll happen as I go through HoT, though, since I'll likely get enough Hero Points as I'm going through it.

The best way to look at it is that any nerf = class is dead, any buff is = God, our class sucks but at least this might help it out. This is basically what happens for every class besides ele (which is always amazing regardless of what they do according to the community at large...) and you can all but safely ignore such statements. There are always better and worse classes and there are always buffs/nerfs that could, and sometimes should, happen but it's the true mark of an MMO junkie to never stop whining no matter what happens. Condi Reaper is fine against all of the content and it's only when min-maxing against specific bosses that you'll really see any major relevance on that front. It's best to ignore the official forums entirely and take anything you read from Reddit with the entire salt shaker as overexaggeration is the game over there most of the time.
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

EDarien
7 months ago#24
Thanks for the tips, guys. I see that Viper is a real pain to get, so I settled for a full set of Ogden's gear (Exotic, same stats as Carrion and come with Superior Rune of Strength 6/6).

Figure it's a start. Went Spite/Curses/Reaper and basically took anything that gives more Chill or adds to Chill and Condi damage. Plus some bonuses for hitting enemies below 50% health.

So far it's working good, but I've just been running a few Hero Points with a friend and doing a little bit of story.
On a scale of 1 to Voldemort, he's a "Doesn't have a nose, but doesn't know Evada Kedabra." - RAGEface14

User Info: Aureal

Aureal
7 months ago#25
One thing to note: you can go ahead and use a level 80 boost whenever you want to test a class out at level 80. It isn't actually consumed when you use it. It will plop your character down in The Silverwastes, give it a set of (mediocre) level 80 gear, and you get to run around in that zone at level 80 for as long as you want to test it. When you want to leave the zone, you'll have to choose whether to confirm or revoke the level 80 boost. So if you do that with your guardian and run around the zone for a few hours and decide you hate guardian and want a different class at level 80 instead, you can have that, you just undo the boost and you have it back, ready to plop a different character into the Silverwastes at level 80.

Also note that ellis tends to view things from a very hardcore/raiding perspective. You don't necessarily want to build characters as if they're going to raid if you're just going to be doing open world things. Maximizing your damage output is nice and all, but there are other things that you'll want in the open world that you don't need to worry about in a raid. A raid build for a DPS role is going to generally be lacking in things like stunbreaks, mobility, and defenses, because there are other people in a raid to cover those things. Almost all of my raiding characters will change their build to go forth into the open world.

And I can't really agree on condi being just as strong in the open world. It's very much in a good position for high-end instanced content, and long boss fights. But just fighting a pack of mobs that's swarming you? It's probably harder to land all your big condis on all of them, and then survive longer while they tick damage. Maybe I'm spoiled by the OPness of dragonhunter and daredevil, but I have yet to feel like I can just dive into a pack of mobs with a condi build and clean up in no time like I can with those. I switched over to firebrand from dragonhunter for now because it's shiny and new, but I actually feel a little weaker because I have to flail around more just trying to get comparable damage that I got on dragonhunter, while also lacking in the defenses which I'd have the flexibility to build for with dragonhunter.
Behold the mythical art of quad-wielding and its dodecarrow storm!

EDarien
7 months ago#26
Yeah, that's fair. I'm not really sure my 'time to kill' these mobs and all. But I definitely enjoy the playstyle. Especially, and IDK why, I like how Torment does more damage while moving, so I enjoy scepter kiting a little bit, but if they're bigger enemies or AoE is a thing, I can still swap to my Greatsword and I have shouts for that. Rise is amazing for AoE, no matter which weapon I have out.

I am curious, though, since you guys have been so helpful already. I noticed that crafting gear is all Bind to Account. I guess the best way to do this then is to have alts with different crafting profs to get a full set of gear? You'd need at least 2 characters with crafting just to gear one character, wouldn't you? For instance to gear a Necro, I need tailoring, jewel crafting plus weapon/artificing or both depending on the build?

I was hoping to avoid crafting and maybe farm gold as I got more into the game and buy some gear on the Market, but I guess that's not an option? How are drops handled to get comparable gear without crafting?

ellis123
7 months ago#27
EDarien posted...
I guess the best way to do this then is to have alts with different crafting profs to get a full set of gear? You'd need at least 2 characters with crafting just to gear one character, wouldn't you? For instance to gear a Necro, I need tailoring, jewel crafting plus weapon/artificing or both depending on the build?

No, you can do it all on one character. At least, you can do most of it on one character to the extent that you'd be fine with one character. You could put Tailor and Artificer on your Necro and be able to make your armor, Staves, Scepters, Focus', and Tridents. That is enough that you can gear our your Necro almost exclusively through what your Necro makes. Artificing is basically worthless as it's far too easy to get high end trinkets through the normal game that are better than what you can make through it (they really needed to bump up the cap to 500 to add in Ascended...) while Weaponcrafting is the other thing that you would potentially need for the more martial weapons that necro uses.

EDarien posted...
I was hoping to avoid crafting and maybe farm gold as I got more into the game and buy some gear on the Market, but I guess that's not an option? How are drops handled to get comparable gear without crafting?

Up to Exotic it is dramatically better to get stuff off of the TP/as drops. Ascended is the only tier of gear that it is better to craft than it is to get as drops as they are exceedingly rare and cannot be bought off of the TP. The only exception of that would be trinkets which are super easy to get through Fractals even at lower tiers. Crafting is also the only way to get the newer Legendaries period, so that is a relevant factor potentially. Really you can avoid crafting if you want but it might pose a problem down the line when you could get interested in going for a Legendary/Ascended gear (armor especially, as it's a gigantic pain to get Ascended Armor as a drop).
"A shouted order to do something of dubious morality with an unpredictable outcome? Thweeet!"
My FC is in my profile.

EDarien
7 months ago#28
ellis123 posted...
...it might pose a problem down the line when you could get interested in going for a Legendary/Ascended gear (armor especially, as it's a gigantic pain to get Ascended Armor as a drop).

So are you suggesting tailoring is better than weapon/artificing by merit that gear is better than weapon crafting?

ellis123
7 months ago#29
EDarien posted...
ellis123 posted...
...it might pose a problem down the line when you could get interested in going for a Legendary/Ascended gear (armor especially, as it's a gigantic pain to get Ascended Armor as a drop).

So are you suggesting tailoring is better than weapon/artificing by merit that gear is better than weapon crafting?

Armor is rarer than weapons at the Ascended tier and in that sense Tailor>Artificer. However armor in and of itself isn't better than weapons. Both are important and there are major advantages/disadvantages to both.
My FC is in my profile.

EDarien
7 months ago#30
ellis123 posted...
EDarien posted...
ellis123 posted...

Armor is rarer than weapons at the Ascended tier and in that sense Tailor>Artificer. However armor in and of itself isn't better than weapons. Both are important and there are major advantages/disadvantages to both.

Right, that's why I'm asking. I'm assuming any gear you can replace is an upgrade, of course. But that said, knowing which gear is more rare than others really helps in making the decision on which crafting to level a bit easier.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Worth coming here?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived