• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Is A Mesmer Tank Viable?

User Info: Id_Hyren

Id_Hyren
8 years ago#1
I've looked at a few builds and i think making a mesmer that doesn't rely on shatters too much would make for a cool tank build. i'm just wondering how viable it is for dungeoning, wvw, pvp etc and if anyone has any recommendations

User Info: dekou

dekou
8 years ago#2
Bunker Mesmers are ok, but it's a bit of a waste in PvE, because Mesmers are very durable even without lots of passive defense. They've got invisibility, easy access to permanent Vigor, clones, Blur, etc.
Intel Pentium II OC @ 450 MHz | 128 Mb RAM | Falcon Northwest Special Edition Maxi Gamer Xentor 32 SE | 2x 4 Gb Seagate HDD

User Info: Old_Sod

Old_Sod
8 years ago#3
In PvE I run a Phantasm Damage / Healing Hybrid that keeps me alive (and my team) pretty well. Every time I change from that build I end going back to it eventually because I love it so much in dungeons.

Not a straight tank, but still...
Playing: Sm4sh (Wii U), Guild Wars 2, Quake Live
GT/Steam: Fugawhuz | NNID: Demi Fuga

User Info: Wii_kid_bf2142

Wii_kid_bf2142
8 years ago#4
PvT used to be very strong in WvW before the confusion nerf.

You can get similar results with a Rabid set, but it isnt the same.
9/10 people on the internet are jerks, the rest can't click accept.
-Sub Tank

User Info: RushUnplugged

RushUnplugged
8 years ago#5
A PVT Retaliation mesTank is still pretty damn strong for pvp. A bit "wasted" in Pve, but it's still a very power-heavy build so it certainly isn't useless.
PSN=RushUnplugged

User Info: Id_Hyren

Id_Hyren
8 years ago#6
Old_Sod posted...
In PvE I run a Phantasm Damage / Healing Hybrid that keeps me alive (and my team) pretty well. Every time I change from that build I end going back to it eventually because I love it so much in dungeons.

Not a straight tank, but still...

what is your trait/skill setup? stats? i'm looking for a weird support build as i have a lot of ascended rings i'll otherwise never use.

User Info: Chaos_ArchangeI

Chaos_ArchangeI
8 years ago#7
If you want to be tanky, have strong reflects and be able to heal & distribute any and all boons in the game besides stability, you want the Chaos Maestro:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-The-Chaos-Maestro-Boon-Support-Tank/first

If you want to be ungodly hard to kill (more for WvW) to solo capture camps, the Immortal Mesmer may be what you're looking for:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/mesmer/Guide-The-Immortal-Mesmer-Build/first

User Info: Rabillion

Rabillion
8 years ago#8
I used to run full soldier gear using the immortal mesmer build until I switched to something with more DPS.

Sure it's fun to be the last one standing in WvW but it takes forever to kill anybody. The extra toughness and vitality is relatively overkill for PvE so I ended up going for a phantasm build. I've actually had people run away from me (or try lol) once I manage to get 2 iDuelists and an iDefender up. I'm just as hard to kill as I was going total bunker.
  1. Boards
  2. Guild Wars 2
  3. Is A Mesmer Tank Viable?
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A