• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  3. help me figure out this new city production thing?

User Info: Knowname

Knowname
7 months ago#1
In Civ 6 you get a base of 2 food one hammer anything over that you keep. OK but when I started playing this again I felt hornswaggled! I don't get anything! why are some settlements so good and some total crap?

I did a little research, how do you like to settle your cities? I played two games, both games I came a-crossed Solomon's Tomb early (6 hammers) and immediately settled there! I ended up with a 60+ production city by the medievel age (I think... don't quote me but something like that xD KS Tomb- yes kick-starter tomb- and a mine or two maybe a manufactory or two and there ya go!). My last game I settled one nearly all untouched jungle (2 food 2 sci 2 gold w/ trading post- modern age w/ 162 sci) and one with rock of gibralter that I made into a gold mine (with that wonder that makes trade routes have added gold to it my most popular city EVER).... anyway this is about production. I'm gonna say this, the next time I find KS Tomb I am NOT settling on a hill. seriously the windmill is a GAMECHANGER there.

Anyway I gotta tell you I don't think Civ 6 has ANYTHING that can compare with just a university (common building) that adds 2 sci per jungle tile! Not to mention they HAD to do away with things like 6 prod/ sci/ gold improvements and like every wonder I've found, amazing! Maybe after a volcano blows (fertilizes... so kinky..) a tile for the 5th time..
"If your happy and you know it clap your hands!" -Dio, Last Exile

User Info: Distant_Rainbow

Distant_Rainbow
7 months ago#2
Knowname posted...
In Civ 6 you get a base of 2 food one hammer anything over that you keep. OK but when I started playing this again I felt hornswaggled! I don't get anything! why are some settlements so good and some total crap?

It's determined by what terrain you settle on(since the city's own tile is always worked for free), plus what kind of terrain surrounds the city. For instance, in the early stages of the game you will be enormously hard-pressed to develop cities surrounded completely by hills, and developing desert cities(without convenient flood plains and/or the right civ UAs) and snow cities is borderline impossible(and for the latter, it stays nearly impossible right to the endgame).

I did a little research, how do you like to settle your cities?

Surrounded by grasslands/flood plains. Always next to a river if possible(without sacrificing too many resources), it provides freshwater(enables more buildings) and a line of defense against potential attackers. Then, if possible, next to a mountain so I can build Observatories later(and maybe have a shot at building Machu Picchu/Neuschwanstein). Don't mind much whether it's a hill or flat terrain, but if I have a choice, on a hill on early-game, on flat terrain in mid-game and afterwards. Also, unless it's a completely land map, always make sure to get a coastal city or two for trade routes, settled on places with the most reachable resources.

Border cities that are frequently war zones have more priority on being settled on hills for the added defense, plus hilly terrain slowing enemies down.

I'm gonna say this, the next time I find KS Tomb I am NOT settling on a hill. seriously the windmill is a GAMECHANGER there.

King Solomon's Mines. Not Tomb.

In any case, if you find the Mines and manage to settle nearby, then of course the hill's +2 Production would not be missed as much once you have enough citizens to work it without problems.

Of course, you have to allot a citizen to work the Mines to get its benefits, and in the very early stages of a city's life when there aren't many people, every point of food counts. In these cases, you might be forced to work nearby Farms or etc. to get enough food so the city doesn't starve, while leaving the Mines idle, especially if you're not rich enough to quickly gold-buy Granaries to ease the pressure. In this early stage, a city on a hill working its tile for a free +2 Production might get a faster start than a plains city next to the Mines.

Also, settling near a natural wonder tends to aggro AI civs, especially Spain which is completely built to revolve around natural wonders in the first place. You might find yourself at war over the city, and in case of war, the city on a hill has sturdier defenses by default. Of course, you could have the attacked city forgo food for production to build units utilizing the Mines to pump out soldiers quicker, but generally, the hill city's defensive advantage will be better.

Generally, the city with the Mines will likely lag behind the hill city production-wise until it gets enough citizens to work the Mines. But then, this game is a snowballing game; it's more likely that the hill city's free +2 Production per turn for all the years before this happened will be an insurmountable advantage the Mines' +6 Production won't be able to overcome.
Link meets Fire Emblem in CYOA: Tales of Elibe! Come read, and find out what happens! Click below!
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/468480-fire-emblem/77111212

User Info: Knowname

Knowname
7 months ago#3
Thanks, great info! I'm starting to think of Civ 5 as a very good city/ bad city (there is no middle) sort of thing. OFC smart players won't even settle a tundra city if you're not a tundra biased civ or desert etc but... that's just Civ V I guess.

And true, as long as KS Mines is in my territory I don't really care. tend to make lumber mills (even trading post in this game for rain forest jungles) rather than chop, food is pretty vital esp in early game. I'd prefer most natural wonders in my 2nd+ city. I never thought of the nat wonder bias of other civs.
"If your happy and you know it clap your hands!" -Dio, Last Exile
(edited 7 months ago)
(message deleted)
  1. Boards
  2. Sid Meier's Civilization V
  3. help me figure out this new city production thing?
  • Post New Message