You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Playing With the Equipment Glitch

User Info: oldguy2

oldguy2
3 months ago#1
You should NOT use the Equipment Glitch on your first time playing FF I.
It totally spoils the game!
If you are on a subsequent play and want to try it, the FAQ by FranckKnight explains it very nicely.
I am using it and the best I can do at the very start in Cornelia seems to be to get everyone into Knight’s Armor for Armor (from Hammer) and Rapier for Weapon (buy and duplicate).
I also made and sold a couple extra Knight’s Armor for $18000 each.
I could have put Knight’s Armor in my Helmet and Gloves slots for even more extraordinary defense, but decided to wait until equipment meant for those slots becomes available.
He's got the whole world in His hands: earth, wind, fire, water, and time.
(edited 3 months ago)

oldguy2
3 months ago#2
With all that cash from selling extra Knight’s Armor, I stocked up on many of all the things available in the Item Shop, plus I bought three White and Black magics.
The above Knight’s Armor and Rapier equipment is sufficient to handle all enemies in the area, including Garland.
But, before you fight Garland, you should go to the Shrine NW corner room to get the Potion and Tent from the chests, then to the SW corner room for the Leather Cap. Then, go back outside.
Since I had gone up to level 5 from random encounters, I used the Tent to fill all my HP and MP and Saved.
Then, I used the Equipment Glitch with the Leather Cap to get a Judgment Staff for my White and Black Mages.
I put the Leather Cap on my Black Mage and decided it is not worth the effort to create more Leather Caps or Judgment staffs at this time.
Now, I am ready to go defeat Garland.
(edited 3 months ago)

oldguy2
3 months ago#3
Well, Garland is no match for this buffed team.
One round of Attack, or one Black Mage use of the Judgment staff to cast Flare and he is down. But, I had to reset and defeated him almost 50 times before he dropped the Longsword.
With the Glitch, the Longsword can be used to create Ruby Armlets (worn as Armor not as Gloves). I also used the Glitch tomputba Longsword on my Thief.
The decision then is whether Ruby Armlet at 24 Def -1 Eva & 1 Wgt is better than Knight’s Armor at 35 Def -33 Eva & 33 Wgt. Once you take off the Knight’s Armor, only the Warrior can put it back on without the Glitch. However, all the team members can legitimately equip the Ruby Armlet as Armor. Also, using the Glitch to put a Ruby Armlet or Knight’s Armor in the Gloves slot has the same stat effects as putting it in the Armor slot, so I put a Ruby Armlet in both slots.
Note that I am spending my time playing with the Glitch more than playing the game. I just wanted to find out the earliest in the game I could get really good effects with the Glitch. Again, thanks to the FAQ by FranckKnight, or I would have had to do lots of experimenting to find the best Glitch effects for the items available this early in the game.

oldguy2
3 months ago#4
In Pravoka, the only item worth buying, other than magic, is the Leather Gloves.
I used those to Glitch a Gladius knife (Atk 23, Acc 30, +10 Eva) on my Warrior and Thief.
Since increasing Acc increases the numer of hits in Attack, my Warrior and Thief now hit three times in battles.
All still have Ruby Armlets in Armor and Gloves slots.
I chose to keep my Black and White Mage in Judgment Staff, so they only hit twice in battles.
I could not glitch a Gladius into any Armor slot.

oldguy2
3 months ago#5
In Elfheim,, the Elven Castle NE building has a chest with a Mythril Hammer that can be glitched to create Thief’s Armlets (Def 30, Eva 4, Wgt 1, +5 Agl).
But, you cant’t get into that building until you get the Mystic Key.
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: denzel_dave

denzel_dave
3 months ago#6
Just wanted to say I had a lot of fun back in the day playing with this glitch, too. It's great trying to find the best equipment you can get really early on (and just selling it for loads of gil!). I must confess I remember equipping Knight's Armour to every armour slot of all four characters. Mages always have frustratingly low defense otherwise!

Of course, I only did this after playing the game legitimately a few times!

User Info: FranckKnight

FranckKnight
2 months ago#7
I made the guide, so I had to :)

Considering I played NES, PS1 GBA and PSP... it was a fun thing to mess around with.

Makes a solo Red Mage job change much easier at any rate.
Revival of The Unoriginal Comic : Webcomics and General Gaming
http://theunoriginalcomic.com

oldguy2
2 months ago#8
FranckKnight posted...
I made the guide, so I had to :)

Thank you for a very helpful guide that I have gone to again and again over several years.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. Playing With the Equipment Glitch