• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. The controls don't make any sense.

User Info: PlasmaBeam44

PlasmaBeam44
11 years ago#1
I'm mainly talking about having to press Circle and Select to bring up the world map. I mean what kind of a stupid decision was that? Is there any way I can change the controls?

User Info: FranckKnight

FranckKnight
11 years ago#2
I guess you never played a NES game did you?

Or else you'd remember that the NES had only 2 buttones (B and A), and then Select and Start.

Select was used to change the order of your team if not mistaken.
Start brought up the main menu.

Sure they could have put the party order on the main menu, but they didn't think that far back then, it was their first RPG ever. Alot of things got fixed in FF2.

They kept it closer to the original in the remakes despite the amount of buttons, simply. If you are unable to do a simple button press combo, stay away from Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat... uhm...

Scratch that, keep away from all video games since being unable to do a two button press probably means you don't have more than 2 fingers total. I'm sympathize with you.
Shameless plug for personal gaming blog :
http://fk-nantonaku.blogspot.com

PlasmaBeam44
11 years ago#3
I can't do a single button press combination. My problem is that having to press Select and Circle at the same time on the PSP is a little wonky and doesn't feel quite right.

PlasmaBeam44
11 years ago#4
I CAN do a simple button press combination. I really wish Gamefaqs would let you edit your posts!

User Info: suvacoduck

suvacoduck
11 years ago#5
that was a bit harsh.. I totally with the TC here. I played the original FF back in the day and strongly feel that a combination isnt necessary to pull up a map.

User Info: FranckKnight

FranckKnight
11 years ago#6
It may have been a bit harsh, but this 'button combo' has been left intact in every other remake/port of FF1, so I wouldn't see why they would change it because the PSP's start and select button are far from being the best to use for those games.

Want some weird button uses, there's plenty of old NES and even SNES games that don't make sense on that part. At least FF1 had the fact that all buttons were already assigned to something else, and they didn't have the insight of adding something like the party order to the main menu at the time.

Here's an old example of weird button setups : Punch-Out assigned Select to be the Pause, and the Start Button to use Uppercuts. We're talking of a CLASSIC Nintendo-brand game here.
Shameless plug for personal gaming blog :
http://fk-nantonaku.blogspot.com

User Info: The_White2086

The_White2086
11 years ago#7
Although, to be fair, they could have just as easily made select by itself bring up the map for the remakes. Yes it made sense at the time (we ran outa buttons so we need combos rather than leaving it out) but since we now have more buttons...
"I think Starcraft 2 use double like two time of Warcraft 3 system requirements. 2x time than one game. More bigger than regular game. I guess."

User Info: Cowboys4u86

Cowboys4u86
11 years ago#8
I think it's a bit clumsy, but I agree with FranckKnight on this, if you can't do something as simple as O and select then you shouldn't be gaming.
Barber III: 128 att, 540 yds, 5 tds and 26 recs, 247 yds, 2 tds.
Witten: 45 recs, 541 yds, 2 tds.
Dallas Cowboys: 4-3
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. The controls don't make any sense.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A