• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. This or the PS1 version of I and II on PSN?

User Info: Omegaman007

Omegaman007
7 years ago#1

Might sound like a weird question.

I've never played the first final fantasy before and I'd like to fix that.  Should I get this version of it or should I get the PS One version of I and II that just popped up on PSN?

I'm not too worried about the best sound and graphics but it is important to me that the engine is fixed.  I.E. If I target something and it dies I want to know my attack will go to another enemy, I'm not a purist in that regard.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

User Info: GenocideHeart

GenocideHeart
7 years ago#2
The PSOne Origins version still divides spell charges by level, while this one is based on the GBA Dawn of Souls version, which has a bunch of extra stuff.

That said, I personally went for this one, but I had the added bonus of having caught it while it was half off on sale on the EU PSN. It's worth 4.99 bucks, but not 10, IMHO. It IS a twenty years old game, after all, only prettied up... With Origins, you get both this and FF2 at a reasonable price, but they are arguably inferior to the Anniversary ones. Pick your poison. *shrug*
** PSN ID: GenocideHeart **
Does Hydlide really count as a game? I thought it was supposed to be some kind of torture session. --Tocawe

Omegaman007
7 years ago#3

I ended up with this one.  It's beautiful, loving it so far.  I wasn't too worried about cost since I was trading in games I don't play anymore to get it.

I might still end up getting origins down the road.  I really like the spell level slots over the MP system.  That's just a personal preference I realize, but still.

My party is Warrior, Monk, Red Mage, Black Mage.  Should be fun!

GenocideHeart
7 years ago#4
No White Mage is a very bad idea. You lose out on all the best healing spells, and don't get level 9 spells at all.
Does Hydlide really count as a game? I thought it was supposed to be some kind of torture session. --Tocawe

Omegaman007
7 years ago#5

Thanks for the tip.  I am seeing that a bit as I find spells Red Mage can't buy.

Doing alright though.  Just about to head towards the Marsh Cave, haven't needed more than Cure thus far!

User Info: Atomized

Atomized
7 years ago#6
I just completed this game, with YOUR team that you had above, the entire game was easy peasy...until the finale boss, all of his attacks are AOE and not having that healga was pretty damn rough. Ended up with everyone except my Red Wizard dead, and in a last ditch effort I had him melee, did 199 damage and won. This was like my 10th or so try as well. I recommend this style of game play as I found the rest of the game too easy with this team, it was a nice challenge although a bit frustrating.

GenocideHeart
7 years ago#7
The final boss is where all those Nul(element) spells come in handy. Just set ALL of them up and you've just lobotomized most of his offense.

The optional dungeons are another matter though... those are rough.

User Info: BareknuckleRoo

BareknuckleRoo
7 years ago#8
The final boss is where all those Nul(element) spells come in handy. Just set ALL of them up and you've just lobotomized most of his offense.

Pretty much all of your party will have Ribbons by that point (or in a Knight's case Aegis + Dragon + Protect Ring, which only leaves like Earth and Time unresisted), and they already give you every single resistance just by wearing them, meaning Nul spells are totally useless and irrelevant unless someone wearing a Ribbon's hit with a Dispel (all they do is give you the resistance, they don't do anything if you naturally resist the element already). 2 of his three special attacks (Tsunami and Tornado) are non-elemental anyways.

The final boss is nasty because of the way the damage formula for spells works. Instead of spells hitting between a lower and upper range, they hit in a much more narrow range dependent on the attacker's int and the target's magic defense. Basically, without a White Mage, your best bet is to grab a Rune Staff or two. Same goes for most of the bonus bosses that rely on just non-elemental spam.

User Info: SmokeCladKing

SmokeCladKing
7 years ago#9
Why are these not up on US PSN?

User Info: PalmerSensei

PalmerSensei
7 years ago#10
SmokeCladKing posted...
Why are these not up on US PSN?

SE of NA is just dumb, that's all. iOS versions, yet no PSN versions? My ass. There's no excuse for them not to have it up on NA psn.

I know I sound arrogant, but this is irritating (it's been about a year since EU and JPN got it).
Stop making sense. People are trying to bash everything Nintendo does without thinking. Go somewhere else-Mattperd
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy
  3. This or the PS1 version of I and II on PSN?
  • Topic Archived