• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: KyonKuchiki

KyonKuchiki
9 years ago#31
Sora I can't really disect your statement about sherlock holmes if you haven't seen the movie yet, too many spoilers, heh.

As for youtube previews... I'm just waiting to hear it for the first time on the third movie dvd US release. I ordered it on ebay awhile back, still hasn't arrived, but I want that to be the first time I hear it, not youtube. So now I have to wait, but I think from what you said earlier, didn't you or someone else say they finally acknowledge they live in Japan now?
Laharl: Or, do you want me to give human kids an addictive video game that will deprive them of their sleep?
(Laharl's evil plan)

User Info: Amy Chao

Amy Chao
9 years ago#32
So does anyone know if the new movies have alternate angles for the DVD release?
:P Currently waiting for One Piece Season 2 First Voyage(AKA Whiskey Peak arc) with New Funimation Voice cast- JUNE 2009 :P

User Info: SoraAMy

SoraAMy
9 years ago#33
I've read reviews and followed the movie production closely. It seems fairly different from the books. And, I'm not even a Holmes-otaku like Shin'ichi.

Concerning the anime series, it DOES NOT take place in Japan. The manga series DOES take place in Japan. Ara, I can't stand the differences between the translations.

I've always wondered what DVDs mean by alternate angles. It's on the "Cardcaptor Sakura the Movie" DVD, but I've yet to figure out how to view them.
my name should have been SoraMee...

Amy Chao
9 years ago#34
I think it means you can view translated enlgish credits on the screen or the original japanese footage alone. I see FUNimation did away with the EPIC "NEED NOT TO KNOW" text in movie 4.
:P Currently waiting for One Piece Season 2 First Voyage(AKA Whiskey Peak arc) with New Funimation Voice cast- JUNE 2009 :P

SoraAMy
9 years ago#35
Oh. Er, why wouldn't I want to see the original Japanese text, especially when watching the original Japanese language track? Ugh. More irked-ness. Oh well, but I wouldn't know how to turn it on.

Just watched the Movie 4 two nights ago. Yes, "Need not to know" is epic Engrish.

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
9 years ago#36
The biggest reason why this series is so hard to get popular in the west is due to censorship and tolerance levels between regions.

While the Conan series is very violent, it's actually a series for children in Japan.

When importing, it's difficult to market a violent series to children while at the same time, market it for an older audience.

At one point, they were considering importing only the episodes where Conan has non-murder adventures with the Detective Boys and calling the series "Conan's Capers".
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".

Amy Chao
9 years ago#37
Wouldn't the Detective Boys episodes still have things like guns in it? I can only imagined if the show did air on a childerns channel like Foxkids in its heyday...

SoraAMy
9 years ago#38
@Goldsickle: I wouldn't say 'Conan' was a child's series. I think I read somewhere that it's a family series, something you would see on primetime television in the West. I actually prefer DC over CSI, bc CSI seems more shock than suspense (even more so nowadays). Seeing cutup bloody dead corpses is less interesting than inspecting a body for clues. Give me tox' reports outside the autopsy room, thank you.

My biggest problem about DC in general is the awful amt of violence against children. Albeit, most of it is against Conan bc Shin'ichi is too hotheaded/impatient to let the adults handle it. And, Ai when it concerns the BO.

User Info: Goldsickle

Goldsickle
9 years ago#39

@Goldsickle: I wouldn't say 'Conan' was a child's series.

It's categorized as "shounen" in Japan, meaning for boys between 10-18.

As I said, the tolerance for violence in Japan is higher, which is why it's okay for violent scenes and intricate criminal plot can be shown in a children show.
There is no such thing as a "Quick Time Event done right".
A game that has Quick Time Events is a "video game done wrong".

User Info: Magician99

Magician99
9 years ago#40
It's categorized as "shounen" in Japan, meaning for boys between 10-18.

You consider that age range "children?" That's adolescents: preteens (by which I mean going through or expecting puberty, but not quite teens yet), teens, and young adults, making Shonen series far from children's series and some of which, the series on and close to the preteen range, can be family series for mature and understanding families.

However, they do drop the rating and target audience with the dub when the series is close to the preteen section of that spectrum, like Conan is (this doesn't refer to FUNi in particular, dubbing teams as a whole), so it is easy to see the series suffering and being neglected by some as a result, thus causing FUNi to lose interest in dubbing it (which they have, evident by the effort put into the more recent dubs and their pronunciation of "Arsène Lupin"), thus setting off a cycle that destroys the continued dubbing of Detective Conan.
"I'll be filled with joy if he's still alive. Then, I can kill him again." - Gin
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers