• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.

User Info: Mars_Spiders

Mars_Spiders
10 years ago#1
It boggles my mind to think about how big this series is in Japan, yet it gets hardly any respect here (U.S.). I can't even find the correct volumes that I need in any bookstores around me. I bought 1-3 in actual stores and had to buy 4-6 and the double feature movie set online. It's just not fair how poorly this series has been treated.

User Info: SoraAMy

SoraAMy
10 years ago#2
I agree. I have various reasons to explain DC/CC lack of audience, which leads to its disrespect.

I think the biggest mistake was changing the series name. I know that my friend and I both didn't check out Case Closed bc of the ridiculous name. Maybe if if was called something like Small Detective or Detective Kid or something with "detective", I would have checked it out earlier. You can thank my second roommate for introducing me to Detective Conan. And name changes to the manga version? That's so pre-2000.

The delay in its release in NA territories (and I guess Western territories) is certainly a hindrance. The old episodes look so dated, it's a wonder Cartoon Network actually wanted to add it to its Adult Swim lineup.

Case Closed's initial exposure was a fail bc it wasn't shown to the right audience. Instead of aiming at action junkies, you want to attract the CSI crowd.

It's a great series, and I am addicted to it. But, Idk why it was treated so... carelessly when DC finally migrated to the West. Bah, I get mad thinking about it. I am hoping "The Mirapolis Investigation" makes it here to NA. Hey, Sakura Wars finally did.
my name should have been SoraMee...

User Info: Amy Chao

Amy Chao
10 years ago#3
Yeah the name change was probably the worst offender. Alot of people probably don't realize CC is DC.
:P Currently waiting for One Piece Season 2 First Voyage(AKA Whiskey Peak arc) with New Funimation Voice cast- JUNE 2009 :P

User Info: Magician99

Magician99
10 years ago#4
Absolutely, the name change was their worst mistake. I find it amazing how many Case Closed fans fail to even realize what I'm talking about when I say "Detective Conan" or use the characters' original names as opposed to their American names.

Also, the way they Americanize everything. The names I can sort of understand, it's what the United States does to series that can also relate to children, but everything else seems so stupid. It's lost a number of fans since they don't put in a disclaimer, they don't explain it all, and they use the worst possible excuses as opposed to the proper reason. It decreases credibility and increases confusion, thus decreasing future viewings.

And I love how after all the changes to Heiji's first case in the series (where Shinichi first got his body back) and the questions and discussions that followed, they still continued to change a good number of details around in later episodes.

FUNimation put minimal effort into dubbing Detective Conan, and it shows.
"I'll be filled with joy if he's still alive. Then, I can kill him again." - Gin

SoraAMy
10 years ago#5
I haven't been on G-faqs for a while, so it's good to see this forum still has visitors, if minimal compared to my other MBs.

What bothers me the most, besides the stupid title change, is the change of characters' family names. Oh, and that it actually takes place in the US/Canada. I don't understand why they changed so many names, yet this show is not actually shown to children. Especially Kazuha's inconsistent name change thruout media. The OTCG, this game, and the actual anime dub.

Those excuses are rather silly. If I didn't say that before (here or any other topic), I never believed them.

(And, G-faqs needs to change the auto-locking on their topics.)

Amy Chao
10 years ago#6
I would really like to know what a big Dectective Conan forum has to say about the dub.
:P Currently waiting for One Piece Season 2 First Voyage(AKA Whiskey Peak arc) with New Funimation Voice cast- JUNE 2009 :P

SoraAMy
10 years ago#7
Are you part of a forum, Amy? I used to go to Gaia Online, but I never made it into the DC guild. Oh well.

There is one at Detective Conan World. I haven't joined since I like to be part of diverse communities (as in, many series). I am planning to join LiveJournal when classes end, so maybe I can join their DC community.

Maybe we can start chatting about the dub here? The dub of the anime and game? Just to keep this MB active.

User Info: KyonKuchiki

KyonKuchiki
10 years ago#8
I'm a huge fan of Case Closed / Detective Conan, and I appreciate the sub and dub voices. I think the voices fit well with most of the characters for the english, and I actually like how they went with the decision to have Conan think with his Jimmy voice instead of a more serious Conan voice like the subs have. I'm especially looking forward to Brina Palencia as Ai Haibara since that's actually an excellent choice for her out of the usual cast of Funi VAs.

A major problem, is that the show was too harsh for back then Toonami, and too tame for back then adult swim.

One thing I know that held up an official US release was the Two-Mix ep, and the rights issues that belonged with that. The Two-Tone change really got to me though, since it was still romanized as Two-Mix during the episode. Don't know what the deal with that change was, but again, probably rights issues.

It's localized fairly well for the most part, but I agree that it is silly to try to hide the fact they're in Japan, and the eng names do work against them sometimes... the 2nd movie is the most glaring example I can think of off the top of my head. I know some things don't translate well between eng and jap, hence, the need for localization, but I am confused why they keep changing names once it stopped airing on Adult Swim and went purely to DVDs. I know why the on screen script isn't changed, because it costs more money than they'd make in the end, but having knowledge of hiragana and katakana, I'll admit the changes do irk me sometimes.
Laharl: Or, do you want me to give human kids an addictive video game that will deprive them of their sleep?
(Laharl's evil plan)

SoraAMy
10 years ago#9
Now that I think about it, it makes sense that Conan's thoughts are in Jimmy's voice. But, when Conan's being seriously, it's kinda hard when to take him seriously when I hear the high voice.

Btw, has anyone played the English version? Japanese version?

Amy Chao
10 years ago#10
I don't even think dub Conan has a serious voice. I can clearly hear in th JPN version thou.
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Answers