Why Xseed did "americanize" some names ?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
  3. Why Xseed did "americanize" some names ?

User Info: gatooo

gatooo
7 months ago#1
I finished Sora no Kiseki SC Evolution the other day, and when I saw the credits I was astonished by the number of names that have been changed to something more "american".

A few example :

Klose = Kloe
Zin = Zane

(I think those two have been changed back to their original in The Third)

Kurz = Kurt
Keel = Kyle
Sheed = Cid
Muller = Mueller

My main problem here, is that those names ARE real names, just google them and you'll find people with those names. If Xseed had problem because some of them are surnames and not given names, they could altered them a bit while remaining true to the original prononciation for example Keal instead of Keel, Kurtz instead of Kurz.

There is some other things too, like Aidios, the goddess, is prononced Eidos or Aidos in japanese, why is there an "i" between the d and the o ?
I saw some Sen no Kiseki 3 screenshots too where it was written "War of Löwen" instead of "War of the Lions" (Löwen meaning lions in german) or even "Harmel" instead of "Hamel".

My point is, Xseed translated some names to make them sound american, while the originals have a german-sounding vibe to them. And I find it's kinda weird, why did they think they have to make the names sound more american ?

gatooo
7 months ago#2
One other thing :

It's not even an interpretation of the japanese writings.

Keel : キール (Kiiru)
Kyle : カイル (Kairu)

Sheed : シード (Shiido)
Cid : シド (Shido)

Kurz : クルツ (Kurutsu)
Kurt : カート (Kaato)
(message deleted)

User Info: AddaHorrorGames

AddaHorrorGames
7 months ago#4
Everyone here worships XSeed, don't expect a big discussion. :-)

But yeah, I've noticed that, too. In one later game there's a character called Lechter Arandore (アランドール). In English he officially becomes Arundel (in later officially translated games), and I only learnt about the discrepancy b/c I played Ao no Kiseki in Japanese (while reading a fan-ranslation). You could say that's minor, except Arundel sounds entirely different, b/c it's stressed differently. And yeah I know there's no stress in Japanese, but there's enough of tonization to sound almost like DO under stress, and at least the whole name is pronounced. In English the emphasis is different and the ending of the name is more or less dropped. And I don't even think their change sounds very English, what it does is it certainly sound weird. :-)

There's one more strange thing about XSeed. When Trails of cold Steel for PC was released, I decided to play it, since writing a review for PC version wouldn't be fair unless I played the PC version, too. I didn't actually get far in the game, it was just as bad as the PS3 version, but there was an option to download and use full Japanese voices, which of course I did. I played in full English before. And let's say that a few instances of translation were not translation, but rather creation. For example, one guy gets mad at another, and in Japanese the other one answers with something like 'Right... let's go'. In XSeed's translation he instead gives a long elaborate sarcastic reply. *shrug* Haha, come to think of it, maybe the translator wanted to save the characters of that game by making them less boring.

Afaik there was one company before that changed the text instead of translating, but they did it so much that it was well-known. About XSeed I don't know if there are any other instances of that in the game or if they've done it previously. My knowledge of Japanese is too limited to tell.
https://www.fanfiction.net/~fishyfishr (some gaming fanfiction *embarrassed*)

gatooo
7 months ago#5
"Everyone here worships XSeed, don't expect a big discussion. :-)"

Yeah, I know, a lot of people worship them and I don't really know why.

"I played in full English before. And let's say that a few instances of translation were not translation, but rather creation. For example, one guy gets mad at another, and in Japanese the other one answers with something like 'Right... let's go'. In XSeed's translation he instead gives a long elaborate sarcastic reply. *shrug* Haha, come to think of it, maybe the translator wanted to save the characters of that game by making them less boring.

Afaik there was one company before that changed the text instead of translating, but they did it so much that it was well-known. About XSeed I don't know if there are any other instances of that in the game or if they've done it previously. My knowledge of Japanese is too limited to tell."

Oh, yeah. I already saw that in some of their games too.
For example, I know there is a moment in Ys Seven where a character, Geis, say something like "Here's a present for you" in japanese when he throw a smoke grenade. In english, I don't why but they translated it to be some sort of pop culture reference by making him say "Say hello to my little friend"... I mean, it doesn't have anything to do in this game...

Also, they tend to turn sentences into something more vulgar. Like they often turn something like "bastard" (yarou) to "son of a b".

User Info: BaldwinGlendale

BaldwinGlendale
7 months ago#6
It's called localization, and that's not something only XSeed does.

When you adapt a piece of work from another country, especially from one like Japan with its very own culture, you have to make sure the audience you adapt it into will be able to receive it fully. That's why you take some liberties to change names and some dialogues to appeal more to the audience you're targeting. That's why we may see some pop culture references added by the localization team because some joke with a very specific japanese reference would not work on most of the western audience.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just explaining the logic behind it. And everything is approved by the Japanese bosses, so they didn't do that behind their back.

A lot of other games and animes tend to change the names of some characters too (Fire Emblem, Yu-Gi-Oh, and tons of others).
3DS FC : 0533 - 4744 - 7097

gatooo
7 months ago#7
BaldwinGlendale posted...
It's called localization, and that's not something only XSeed does.

When you adapt a piece of work from another country, especially from one like Japan with its very own culture, you have to make sure the audience you adapt it into will be able to receive it fully. That's why you take some liberties to change names and some dialogues to appeal more to the audience you're targeting. That's why we may see some pop culture references added by the localization team because some joke with a very specific japanese reference would not work on most of the western audience.

I'm not saying it's good or bad, I'm just explaining the logic behind it. And everything is approved by the Japanese bosses, so they didn't do that behind their back.

A lot of other games and animes tend to change the names of some characters too (Fire Emblem, Yu-Gi-Oh, and tons of others).

Yeah, just no...

I mean, Trails games are ALREADY set in a Western universe. Characters are called Estelle, Joshua, Richard... NOTHING sounds japanese in those games so it's not about making japanese culture easier to understand to a larger audience beaucse this game is NOT about the japanese culture.

It's not about changing a pop culture reference to another one to make it more understandable to the West. They just changed something that already had a western feel to make it more AMERICAN. And that's a major problem to me, because USA are not the center of the world but it looks like Xseed think that.

Also, I'm pretty Sure Falcom doesn't care at all about the western localization of their games.

Finally, about localized anime that change names and all that... I need to say that most of them are just really bad localization.
Just look at Carcaptor Sakura, called Cardcaptors in the US. They cut a lot of things from this anime, the original version have 70 episodes, the american one, 39.
Everything is changed, there's no focus on Sakura, the main character because she is a girl and people in America wanted it to target boys. There is no romance nor hint about the homosexuality of some characters although those points are major in the original version. And I can go on, everything is butchered...
My point is that even there are other thing that "localize" (more like "slaughter") with this kind of things, it doesn't excuse anything.

User Info: Ryuukishin

Ryuukishin
6 months ago#8
XSeed is an American company, so of course they adapt to the culture of their native country. If these games are brought to Europe by European publishers, stuff stays for the American target audience because the localization is not adjusted (again) to another different culture.
It's not something you do to *iss people off, which you might believe
http://www.jostrans.org/issue06/art_ohagan.php
https://gaminghistory101.com/2011/12/27/localpt1/
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/jpgpnk/localizing-video-games-for-different-markets-is-a-minefield

That's not saying you, I or anyone else MUST like the localization decisions, though. Contrary to popular belief, there's nothing like *THE* perfect translation. Just that people prefer one approach more than another (or with manga/anime-subs, the fansubbing more than the offical dub). Again, nothing wrong with that.

gatooo
6 months ago#9
Ryuukishin posted...
XSeed is an American company, so of course they adapt to the culture of their native country. If these games are brought to Europe by European publishers, stuff stays for the American target audience because the localization is not adjusted (again) to another different culture.
It's not something you do to *iss people off, which you might believe
http://www.jostrans.org/issue06/art_ohagan.php
https://gaminghistory101.com/2011/12/27/localpt1/
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/jpgpnk/localizing-video-games-for-different-markets-is-a-minefield

That's not saying you, I or anyone else MUST like the localization decisions, though. Contrary to popular belief, there's nothing like *THE* perfect translation. Just that people prefer one approach more than another (or with manga/anime-subs, the fansubbing more than the offical dub). Again, nothing wrong with that.

Yes I understand that. BUT my main point is that's just a pretty stupid localization issue wherever you stand.

I mean, Keel is pretty easy to pronounce even for an american audience. Sheed is an english surname (for example, there is an australian named Sheed, if you google it)...

It's just they changed it for... Just the sake of changing it ?
Or it looks like it, anyway.

Nobody said anything because they're not main characters... But I'm pretty sure everyone would have hated it if they have changed Estelle for Esther, Richard for Dick, Olivier for Oliver or anything else... But the fact is, it's the same thing...

User Info: Naesaki

Naesaki
6 months ago#10
To be fair... they have corrected Zane's name to Zin in the PC releases now and retroactively applied them to FC and SC. :v
There is an RNG Goddess for everything! For such is life! Though if you ask me I'd prefer a Manly Bara RNG God :L
  1. Boards
  2. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky SC
  3. Why Xseed did "americanize" some names ?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

Update Topic Flair

You are not allowed to update this topic's flair.

• Topic Archived