• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
  3. Map Question for Those with the Japanese Version *Spoilers*

User Info: Lacan Valeth

Lacan Valeth
12 years ago#21
Fiska:
Erm, I'm not being insistent. I bump things because, in my experience, patience pays off. I'm not forcing anyone to look at my Threads. Nor am I being lazy; I've researched this stuff myself in detail (and no, Goug is not Romanda. Romanda is stated to be to the north of Ivalice (that peninsula you see in the northwestern portion of the map, and the Larner Channel is the body of water between Gallionne. These are actually facts; they're shown to be Romanda and the Larner Channel, respectively, on the back of the Prima Official Strategy Guide). I was interested in knowing if Romanda was explicitly stated to be an island in the Japanese version because Romanda is referred to as the "Romanda peninsula" at one point in the PlayStation Portable version. Also, there's a map in the scene with Elmdore and Folmarv in Chapter 4 that stretches a bit further north and east than the map in the "Overworld Screen," and north of the Romandan peninsula the landmass only gets broader.

Hence, while there's evidence pointing to Romanda being an island nation, there's also evidence arguing it might not be. It's impossible to say for sure either way, which is why I wanted to know if Romanda was specifically stated to be an island in the Japanese version, or it was simply assumed to be an island nation and stated as such in Sugnuf's "Translation Guide."

That said, the second picture you gave me and your description of it is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, so thanks a *lot* (and I mean a *lot*) for the information. (I disagree with your interpretation, however; if Romanda was never specifically stated to be an island, then it's fifty-fifty as to whether it actually is or isn't.) Now I finally know the truth about Romanda, answering a long-running curiosity I've had about Ivalice geography for years.

HirumaGacho:
Perhaps. However, someone who was able to answer the question *did* show up.
By sword attested, by stone revealed / Their tale can now be told ~ History begins anew 10/09/07

Lacan Valeth
12 years ago#22
Fiska:
Just saw your third message. No, I don't wish to pursue this further. I myself am of the opinion that the Japanese script remained the same between both Games (and anyways, I have a modem connection; doing the work isn't any problem for me, though. I've done lots of meticulous research of Games before and am willing to do so again).
By sword attested, by stone revealed / Their tale can now be told ~ History begins anew 10/09/07

User Info: Fiska

Fiska
12 years ago#23
I'm pretty sure you can look at the map. The landform that Goug is located on is known as an "island" which is separated from the mainland by a "channel," much as the English channel separates England and France. It's a damn island.

And I realize I probably sound angry. I'm not... but even if the evidence doesn't explicitly state anything, there are enough pieces to put it together that the island that Goug is on is separated by a strait (like Romanda was), and sells a gun that isn't buyable anywhere else called the Romanda Gun. It's Romanda on the map, and that on the map is an island. Romanda is an island.

I think that's what you were asking... I've forgotten at this point.
FFT SCCs/challenges completed: Archer, Oracle, Geomancer, Priest, Chemist
In progress: Wizard, Lancer, Monk, philsov's FFT v1.2

Lacan Valeth
12 years ago#24
Fiska:
Yes, I was asking if Romanda is an island. However, the back of the Prima Official Strategy Guide has a map of Ivalice with all the names translated into English, and this map has the name "Romanda" at the peninsula in the northwest of the map. "Larner Channel" is the name given to the body of water between Gallionne and this peninsula.

Furthermore, the PlayStation Portable version says Romanda is a country to the north of Ivalice, while Goug is clearly demonstrated to be part of Ivalice (due to the fact Cardinal Delacroix could have sent Lionel's Gryphons there to deal with the Baert Company, even though he was secretly in league with them. Goug is part of Lionel and under its jurisdiction). Further still, if you look at the description of the Romanda Gun, its stated to be imported from Romanda.

So no, Goug is not Romanda. All that can be seen of Romanda on the map is that peninsula in the northwest section (and a thicker landmass to the north if you look at the map in the scene where Folmarv and Elmdore talk). Hence my curiosity as to whether or not the Japanese text specifically identified it as an island.
  1. Boards
  2. Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions
  3. Map Question for Those with the Japanese Version *Spoilers*
  • Topic Archived

GameFAQs Q&A