• Post New Message
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  3. So I got a Knockout Rod from a level 86 grotto chest...

User Info: Slimeknight

Slimeknight
3 months ago#1
If I do not beat the boss of this grotto, put my treasure map away, take it out again, what are the chances this chest will have the Stardust Sword? Does it matter if I beat the boss of this grotto?
What's a more awkward title? Final Fantasy II or the Neverending Story II?
(edited 3 months ago)

User Info: Cruorin

Cruorin
3 months ago#2
1% doesn't matter if you clear. Beating boss means that the map stays filled in, so it would be easier to navigate if you can do it.

Assuming you have 50 posts/ page in settings, chests are page 2 in grotto sticky. Knockout is indeed rank 10, the highest.

Also some bosses also drop the base forms of high end gear. Armour & shields being more likely. Chance is 2 to 5 depending on who you get.

User Info: regirafariger

regirafariger
3 months ago#3
Each one of the top-end weapons found in those S-rank chests are 1%. So, yes, finding that Knockout Rod happened at 1% odds which was lucky, and each of the other available weapons in it, Stardust Sword, Poker, Critical Fan, etc, would all have 1% odds individually of coming out of it. And yes, as Cruorin mentioned, you do not need to necessarily defeat the boss, just exit the map, put the map away, then get it back out again is enough to re-set all the chests. However, as also mentioned, defeating the boss will fill in the map entirely, making it easier to work your way to the good chest.
featuring Grogu and Man DeLorean and their flux capacitor!

User Info: Slimeknight

Slimeknight
3 months ago#4
I got a Bad Axe on the very next trip through the Grotto from the same chest.
What's a more awkward title? Final Fantasy II or the Neverending Story II?

User Info: regirafariger

regirafariger
3 months ago#5
Well, there are, what, twelve of the top-tier weapons? So, each one individually is 1%, but that makes it 12% odds that you'll pull one of them if which specific one isn't taken into account. So, that's still very good luck on your part.
featuring Grogu and Man DeLorean and their flux capacitor!
  1. Boards
  2. Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies
  3. So I got a Knockout Rod from a level 86 grotto chest...
  • Post New Message

GameFAQs Q&A